Golf: All Purpose Golf Thread IV | 2016 PGA Tour Season

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Some important dates in a jam packed year.

March 3rd to 6th | Cadillac World Golf Championship | Trump National Doral
blue-monster-changes.jpg

March 17th to 20th | Arnold Palmer Invitational | Bay Hill Golf Club and Lodge
xlMhp0B.jpg

April 7th to 10th | Masters Tournament | Augusta National Golf Club
RCt7NkG.jpg

May 12th to 15th | The PLAYERS Championship | TPC Sawgrass Stadium Course
Er25Pj3.jpg

June 2nd to 5th | The Memorial Tournament | Muirfield Village Golf Club
5Vbx6wz.jpg

June 16th to 19th | US Open Golf Championship | Oakmont Country Club
7c0WfrG.jpg

June 30th to July 3rd | Bridgestone World Golf Championship | Firestone Country Club
Aoq7E9D.jpg

July 14th to July 17th | The Open Championship | Royal Troon Golf Club
zWrLLqN.jpg

July 28th to July 31st | PGA Championship | Baltusrol Golf Club
9mEIwov.jpg

August 11th to 14th | Olympic Men's Golf Competition | Olympic Golf Course Rio de Janeiro
Es9b5Nz.jpg

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Masters hype should be ridiculous, especially with Rory going for the Grand Slam and Jordan looking to repeat. If Tiger returns sometime before the tournament, that would increase the hype.

Hoping for another ridiculously hard Oakmont course. Last time +5 won. Usually that plays into the hands of the better golfers, which should make for a good tournament.

Don't really know what to expect at Troon, Olympics might be bad with a watered down field and tired golfers, Baltusrol is a good course, should make for a good PGA.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Talk about an action packed year. Nice first post with the pics. Fed Ex Cup and Ryder Cup at the end too.

Gotta remind myself to get in the lottery for Masters tickets for 2017. A definite bucket list type thing.

Hoping for some Rory/Spieth/Day battles in majors. Wouldn't mind seeing DJ or Rickie pick up their first either. Oh, and Phil at the US Open!

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Is Speith more of a sure thing to stay on top than Rory was this time last year?

IMO, Speith's putting makes him less prone to a slump than Rory.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Rory's pretty much the golf media favorite, so its not a surprise that they are predicting him to be POY. They way he's treated by the media, you wouldn't think Jordan was four shots away from winning the grand slam at 21/22 years old.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Definitely think the media prefers Spieth to Rory. They just think that Spieth's year will be hard to replicate (which is true) and that healthy Rory at his best > Spieth at his best (also true).

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Definitely think the media prefers Spieth to Rory. They just think that Spieth's year will be hard to replicate (which is true) and that healthy Rory at his best > Spieth at his best (also true).

Take a look at this article. http://espn.go.com/golf/masters15/story/_/id/12674885/jordan-spieth-rising-star-tiger-woods-game

Also, I was watching Morning Drive the day after the Masters, and they had a similar question where they all predicted the amount of majors he'd win. I think all but the host of the show said under 10, and when she revealed her answer, which was 10, they acted like she was crazy to say 10. There was also the Roger Maltbie quote where he was asked if he thought Spieth would be a star and he said no.

I think the fans, anchors, hosts of shows like Jordan the most, but I think Rory gets preferential treatment in his coverage from the beat writers and analysts.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Take a look at this article. http://espn.go.com/golf/masters15/story/_/id/12674885/jordan-spieth-rising-star-tiger-woods-game

Also, I was watching Morning Drive the day after the Masters, and they had a similar question where they all predicted the amount of majors he'd win. I think all but the host of the show said under 10, and when she revealed her answer, which was 10, they acted like she was crazy to say 10. There was also the Roger Maltbie quote where he was asked if he thought Spieth would be a star and he said no.

I think the fans, anchors, hosts of shows like Jordan the most, but I think Rory gets preferential treatment in his coverage from the beat writers and analysts.

To be fair, that article was written after the Masters, so he had yet to go 1st/4th/2nd over the rest of the major season. I guarantee that if you asked the same question after the FedEx Cup, all of them would take the over on 5 majors, and rightfully so.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Good OP

Rickie to win a major this year

Wouldn't that be nice to see. I hope he can get over that hurdle, don't see him as a one and done guy like Keegan Bradley or potentially Patrick Reed if he ever (God, please no) wins a major.

Masters hype should be ridiculous, especially with Rory going for the Grand Slam and Jordan looking to repeat. If Tiger returns sometime before the tournament, that would increase the hype.

Hoping for another ridiculously hard Oakmont course. Last time +5 won. Usually that plays into the hands of the better golfers, which should make for a good tournament.

Don't really know what to expect at Troon, Olympics might be bad with a watered down field and tired golfers, Baltusrol is a good course, should make for a good PGA.

I'm really looking forward to Oakmont. Always lots of drama and a very deserving winner there, and it sets up damn well for Rory in my opinion. Every golf course seems to set up well for Spieth, the strengths of his game taken into account, it goes without saying.

I love Troon and weirdly enough, don't remember a whole heck of a lot about Baltusrol though.

Talk about an action packed year. Nice first post with the pics. Fed Ex Cup and Ryder Cup at the end too.

Gotta remind myself to get in the lottery for Masters tickets for 2017. A definite bucket list type thing.

Hoping for some Rory/Spieth/Day battles in majors. Wouldn't mind seeing DJ or Rickie pick up their first either. Oh, and Phil at the US Open!

I knew I was forgetting something. I'll add those in short order. It's crazy to think that 3 majors are going to be contested in the span of 6 weeks due to the Olympic year. Second the notion about Rory, Spieth and JDay going head to head on Sunday's in majors... it'd be even better if Tiger could get healthy and find his game again to show those still wet behind the ears pups that old dogs can still learn new tricks.

The Masters is a bucket list item for me as well. What an experience that would be.

Is Speith more of a sure thing to stay on top than Rory was this time last year?

IMO, Speith's putting makes him less prone to a slump than Rory.

Using an analogy, I'd compare Spieth to a Porsche 911 Turbo and Rory to a McLaren P1. Rory, when on, has a higher ceiling and hits a gear nobody can match. Jordan, while lagging behind in that top end ability by a minuscule amount, is more reliable and able to perform at a higher and more consistent level way more frequently.

I'm more of a Rory fan than a Jordan fan but both are pretty comparable in most regards, but the putting and short game ability is slants the scales towards Spieth.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Anybody think that we see Tiger Woods at all this year? A lot of the pundits seem to think he's going to miss the entire year.

I have a feeling he's aiming for Augusta.

Jan 3, 2012
Everyone sign up for Yahoo fantasy golf

I've created an HFBoards Fantasy Golf Group on Yahoo, sign up for Yahoo fantasy golf Then go too groups.

Group ID#3948
Group Name: HFBoards

Group Password: golfthreadiv

Fantasy golf on yahoo works by picking a foursome and a bench each week and get points based on how they shoot every round.

First event is Hyundai TOC this week

It goes through end of FEC

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Rory's best is usually on long and narrow golf courses where you can miss left with slow greens, greens without a lot of slope and not that much creativity required around the greens. If he has a week where he is the best in the field that week with his short game, he'll probably win by at least five.

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
Anybody think that we see Tiger Woods at all this year? A lot of the pundits seem to think he's going to miss the entire year.

I have a feeling he's aiming for Augusta.
I sure hope so, but I've seen nothing that leads me to believe he will be ready.

Add me to the list who can't wait for Oakmont....my second favorite US Open Course after Pebble. And the USGA better not mess with it........I'd be perfectly fine with another +5 winner! :laugh:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Everyone sign up for Yahoo fantasy golf

I've created an HFBoards Fantasy Golf Group on Yahoo, sign up for Yahoo fantasy golf Then go too groups.

Group ID#3948
Group Name: HFBoards

Group Password: golfthreadiv

Fantasy golf on yahoo works by picking a foursome and a bench each week and get points based on how they shoot every round.

First event is Hyundai TOC this week

It goes through end of FEC

I joined.

Some of you others please join. :laugh:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
-24, 5 shot lead, I don't even think he's playing his best. He's had a few incredible shots, like the 2nd on 15 yesterday and the 2nd on 18 today, but its been pretty average golf, besides that.

Could lose this one to Koepka tomorrow if he doesn't make any long putts, doesn't get any lucky breaks and doesn't have any incredible shots that are worth at least a 1 stroke advantage.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
8 shot win playing good, not great golf. If Jordan played his best, he could've shot 40 under par this tournament. To be fair to the rest of the field, no one played that well. Jordan has by far the best "B" game in golf though. Really easy course. They should toughen it up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad