Player Discussion All Purpose Goaltending Thread

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
Playoffs are a lost cause. If Levi and UPL are better served with getting the most starts possible in Rochester and Buffalo, respectively, then keep Comrie and dump him at the TDL if anyone wants him (doubtful but maybe an injury makes a team desperate for depth).
Lol playoffs are not a lost cause. This team is a couple wins from .500 and after that pace it's not hard to earn a wildcard spot.
Edmonton was 2-9 to start the season I believe. Blues were LAST PLACE by Christmas.
Goaltending has been a strength these past few games.

How do we give up so easily? This fanbase is battered

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Lol playoffs are not a lost cause. This team is a couple wins from .500 and after that pace it's not hard to earn a wildcard spot.
Edmonton was 2-9 to start the season I believe. Blues were LAST PLACE by Christmas.
Goaltending has been a strength these past few games.

How do we give up so easily? This fanbase is battered
At this time last season the team went 7-1 to climb back into contention with three other struggling teams (Fla, Ott, Det). Right now they're a point behind last season and battling against a tougher division across the board. They'll need a big win streak very soon and more to have a chance. The historical odds for teams in this spot speak for themselves.

Reactions: Washed Up 29YearOld

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
That's Edmonton? They have great stats. Campbell is in the minors to save the $1 M + in cap, and they just eat the rest. The issue with Comrie is he doesn't have as large a contract, but at $1.8 M, you can bury his entire contract if you take a flyer on the guy, so why would you?
Goalies are so hard to come by these days I dont think Comrie makes it through waivers.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
nobody is picking up someone who is playing at an ECHL backup level
You ever think its the team that does that? Last year people were ready to waive UPL. This year most people want Levi sent down.

The team is top 5 worst in the league when it comes to playing in their own end.

Lots of arrogant GMs think they can make a goalie better. Just ask Adams.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
You ever think its the team that does that? Last year people were ready to waive UPL. This year most people want Levi sent down.

The team is top 5 worst in the league when it comes to playing in their own end.

Lots of arrogant GMs think they can make a goalie better. Just ask Adams.

It's not the team when the other two goalies have winning records and much lower GAA and much higher SPs. Comrie's issues are with Comrie

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
It's not the team when the other two goalies have winning records and much lower GAA and much higher SPs. Comrie's issues are with Comrie
meh, I am not here to defend Comrie. I just don't think he makes it through waivers. Its not a competition between the three of them and waivers.

A poster said he would waive Comrie and I said he wont make it through in my opinion. I stand by it.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
meh, I am not here to defend Comrie. I just don't think he makes it through waivers. Its not a competition between the three of them and waivers.

A poster said he would waive Comrie and I said he wont make it through in my opinion. I stand by it.

You can have any opinion you want, but the key issue is not just the talent or lack of it but the $1.8 million cap hit. That makes him high-risk. Teams are not taking a risk on a guy with 54 NHL games, with injury issues and playing pretty horribly when you can only bury $1.115 M. People (not saying you) who think $685,000 in cap (even pro-rated) isn't following the NHL closely. Unless cheapo Pegula who allows $9.2 M in cap space currently, most of the league has no space. The Oilers, who have $65,000 in projected space are going are to move their roster around for Comrie? If he stinks, you now have to pay a late pick to dump the $685,000 cap.

Now, here is the other key. Clearly, we have an internal cap. So, let's say Comrie gets picked up. That's an actual win because we can maybe deploy the $1.8 million elsewhere.

Reactions: Jim Bob

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Behind the same D

UPL: 1 game above .500. .907SP
Levi: 1 game over .500. .893 SP
Comrie: 4 games under .500. .863SP

One of the goalies is not like the other 2. Maybe it's time we stop making excuses for Comrie's play and accept that while the D does need to do better, the other 2 goalies are obtaining results behind the same D
Is UPL getting closer to Comrie after last night?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Capture.PNG

Everyone jinxed it by signing those UPL apology forms.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
few more starts like that and we'll be back to levi every night
The team got blasted out the Zamboni doors in the first period and you think UPL was the problem. Fact is, Comrie was unlucky enough to have a few more starts in games where the team played just as bad as last night. UPL has slightly caught up with two recent starts in similar games.

UPL is the best goalie right now, Levi isn't far behind although he should get more starts in Rochester. Comrie is the worst of the bunch and shouldn't be on the roster if the team insists on keeping Levi up.

All that said, the goaltending is maybe 10% of the overall struggles the team is having. I don't post this for you because you'll stay stuck on stupid, but others here might come to realize that the team is playing incredibly passive without the puck, and getting caved in against fast and aggressive teams. No goalie is going to come out of these "efforts" looking good.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
The team got blasted out the Zamboni doors in the first period and you think UPL was the problem. Fact is, Comrie was unlucky enough to have a few more starts in games where the team played just as bad as last night. UPL has slightly caught up with two recent starts in similar games.

UPL is the best goalie right now, Levi isn't far behind although he should get more starts in Rochester. Comrie is the worst of the bunch and shouldn't be on the roster if the team insists on keeping Levi up.

All that said, the goaltending is maybe 10% of the overall struggles the team is having. I don't post this for you because you'll stay stuck on stupid, but others here might come to realize that the team is playing incredibly passive without the puck, and getting caved in against fast and aggressive teams. No goalie is going to come out of these "efforts" looking good.

if the goaltending was not an issue, how is it Colorado played an equally bad second period yet allowed nothing?

The coddling of goalies here is getting extreme. It's not being stuck on stupid. It is accepting reality

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
if the goaltending was not an issue, how is it Colorado played an equally bad second period yet allowed nothing?

The coddling of goalies here is getting extreme. It's not being stuck on stupid. It is accepting reality
Pretty much all season the Sabres shot map has been crap. They aren't doing the work to earn enough quality HDCs.

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
We need to stack wins here. I’m starting Levi until he has a stinker or his legs fall off from exhaustion.

Reactions: dortt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad