All-purpose goaltending thread - all Hutchinson/Pavelec talk here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
There has been too much OT talk about goaltending that is filling up the GDTs and especially the PGTs. So here we go: This is where all the Pavelec/Hutchinson talk that has nothing to do with a particular game goes.

If you want to say "Pavelec/Hutchinson cost the Jets the game with his abysmal goaltending", you're well within your right to say that in the GDT or PGT, BUT...

...If you make a post that has nothing to do with the game itself, and is more a general commentary on the Jets goaltending situation, your post will be moved here.

Play nice. Posters that repeatedly flame and/or troll in this thread will be threadbanned.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
You know the amazing thing about Hutch? He's also signed for next year at 575k.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Recent posts from the Pavelec thread:

I'm just saying a mopey/disgruntled Pavelec might be disruptive...I don't know how popular he is with the rest of the team or how his reaction to demotion would affect things.

Realistically the Jets are going to need Pavelec to start some of the remaining games - bringing up Budaj would probably be worse than Pavelec and I'm pretty sure they're not going to roll with Hutch-Hellebuyck this year.

I'd love to see Chevy attempt to trade Pavelec and show surprise when 29 other GMs immediately hang up the phone on him.

I'd also like to see Chevy's surprise when Pavelec would pass through waivers, although I realize the team would never try and put him through waivers.

From all accounts, Pavelec gets along fine with his teammates, so I don't see how being benched would affect the team.

And fwiw lawless said pavs is takin playing less well, he's just happy team is winning, so he's not a distraction so far.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Recent posts from the Hutchinson thread:

Hutch gets the first Minny game.

If he wins/plays well he gets the second.

If he doesn't I don't know what to think about this organization.

I think they'll split the games.
If Hutch plays both I think that makes him the de facto starter.
I don't think that Co Mo is willing to do it.

Things I've noticed about Hutch
Pros: - Above average lateral movement
- Above average puck tracking
-Positioning

Cons:
-Occasionally drops too early
-Isn't good at adjusting to a speed entry and shot combo. Conversely is extremely good if shooter attempts to make a move or pass. I've noticed on the shots that beat him it's typically nothing fancy other than a forward entering with speed and quickly picking a corner. The second they get fancy or go for a cross-ice pass Hutch tends to win.
-Willing and able puck handler, but decision making could improve

One thing that nobody is talking about: His contract. 575k this year and next year.

Well, if he keeps up the .940, I think his next contract will make up for that... :)

If hutch can continue his play over a larger sample size, it could be a hutch and helly tandom after next season, but lots can happen between now and then.

Sometimes rookie goalies (like pitchers) have a great start when their opponents don't really know them and fade quite a bit when other teams start to focus on them and figure out their weaknesses.

I know he can't sustain this but .915-920 would still be marvelous

Isn't that Fleury?

Hutch getting some love from Scotty Bowman on Hockey Central on Sportsnet. Scotty is a smart hockey man (one of the smartest). Said his rise from the ECHL to now is a great story and that he looks like the real thing and he's not just lucky. Spoke about him for a couple of minutes at least.

I am a fan of Michael Hutchinson.

Merry X-mas y'all.

Last edited:

fmrdh

Mar 5, 2013
Would Pavelec being moved/demoted have any effect on Frolik re-signing?

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Something I will be will be watching long term is Hutch vs Svedberg. I wrote about it a while back in my intro to Hutchinson piece:
http://www.arcticicehockey.com/2014...hot-michael-hutchinson-ice-caps-winnipeg-jets

They had similar AHL numbers, but Svedberg got a load more goal support - thus a load more wins. This likely factored into letting Hutch go. I am curious to see gow they do over their respective careers.

Markus250

Jan 27, 2014
If Hutch keeps playing and we keep winning, Frolik and others will be more likely to sign with us. If we miss the playoffs again, we'd have to offer bigger bucks to keep a good player in a small town with no chance at a Cup.

Galbatross

Oct 29, 2013
Are Frolik & Pavs friends?

Pav and Frolik grew up a few blocks from each other. Same age, went to the same school (also same agent :shakehead). They've mentioned it in interviews from time to time. There's also a picture floating around of them and Voracek all chilling in a house together.

fmrdh

Mar 5, 2013
Are Frolik & Pavs friends?

Yes... and Voracek too apparently

03e12b7b09_77243524_o2.jpg

Markus250

Jan 27, 2014
Here are some updated stats from a post I made in Pavs thread yesterday, along with some new ones.

Win percentage when starting Pavelec

2014-2015 - Central Division - 41.6%
2013-2014 - Central Division - 39.3%
2012-2013 - Southeast Division (Lockout) - 48.8%
2011-2012 - Southeast Division - 43.9%
2010-2011 - Southeast Division - (Atlanta) - 39.6%

And here are our backups, when starting.

2014-2014 - Hutchinson - 72.7%
2013-2014 - Hutchinson (Small sample) - 66.7%
2013-2014 - Montoya - 56.5%
2012-2013 - Montoya (Small sample, Lockout) - 60%

Hutch has started 11 games and won 8 of them this year, playing more road games than home games and winning two huge games against Chicago. Pavs has only won 3 of his last 11, only winning against Buffalo, Edmonton and then Buffalo again this season and has played more home games than road games.

In his NHL career, Hutch has only posted a <.900 games once in 16 appearances. Pavelec has been <.900 in 10 out of 25 appearances so far this year. If we extrapolated our point percentage to estimate where we'd be if Pavs started every game, we'd have 37.8 points right now. Without accounting for the fact that dropping our points from 43 down to 37.8 would give other teams more points, it would still put us in 10th place and outside of a wildcard spot. Our ROW would also be low enough to kill any chance at a tiebreaker. If we do the same for games in which Hutch started, we get 54.1 points and 2 or more wins ahead in PPG than the rest of the league. Our ROW would also be 5.5 games higher than the next best team, as very few of Hutch's starts end in OT losses (something that might squeak you into the playoffs but won't help you win the cup).

Sabs*

First to admit I was an adamant PAV supporter put the times they are a changing time for hutch. I stand corrected was hoping the presence of PAV playing good would ease hutch into the starting roll.

rthork

May 1, 2012
Winnipeg
if consistency is key, it's pretty evident Hutch is the leader.

Which brings me to the next observation. Why does it seem when we ***** the bed in a game, the team in front of Pavs doesn't play well. With that being said, even from the days of Montoya -- the team plays better. Is this a case of coincidence or has someone number-crunched that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad