Speculation: All-Purpose Expansion Talk Thread v2.0 (Protected/Exposed List in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Ah, wasn't aware it was part of a deal.

Regardless, this team isn't looking that great.

The rest of the side deals won't be announced until tomorrow. I don't think half of the players selected will end up on Vegas after the entry draft.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Ah, wasn't aware it was part of a deal.

Regardless, this team isn't looking that great.

Honestly I think McPhee is going for a bad team for the first few years, instead of a mediocre team. They get more pieces off the bat, and will get more high picks in the next few. It's not a bad strategy.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
There's a lot of Vegas fans around me that clearly weren't on Twitter today. Everyone here lost their minds when they announced Fleury like he's going to single-handedly win them a Cup. Seriously, the hosts shouted "We got Fleury!!'"

Wabit

May 23, 2016
There's a lot of Vegas fans around me that clearly weren't on Twitter today. Everyone here lost their minds when they announced Fleury like he's going to single-handedly win them a Cup. Seriously, the hosts shouted "We got Fleury!!'"

It's all new to them. I probably wouldn't have been on twitter or these boards if I was in Vegas either, it's like reading the spoilers before going to see a movie. Enjoy the experience and the surprise.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Man... that roster is gonna be a lot more underwhelming that a lot of us were thinking :D https://www.hockeywilderness.com/20...-knights-announces-expansion-draft-selections

I think everyone saying McPhee is tanking for the first couple years is right on the money.

I'm waiting until after July 4th to really make my judgement of their roster. There are lots of rumored trades that are waiting for tomorrow morning, possible draft day trades, and UFA signings.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Man... that roster is gonna be a lot more underwhelming that a lot of us were thinking :D https://www.hockeywilderness.com/20...-knights-announces-expansion-draft-selections

I think everyone saying McPhee is tanking for the first couple years is right on the money.

I think when Drouin was traded for a prospect, Vegas started seeing teams were serious about pulling the trigger on trades to maximize their assets of they couldn't protect them, and they flinched.

Yes, it would have been painful to trade 2 D going into the expansion draft, but it would have been better than the alternative of losing one for nothing... as least we would have had quality assets in return.

Vegas ultimately didn't have such an attractive exposed player list as everyone expected because of all the trades that were likely virtually getting done ahead of time just waiting to pull the trigger if Vegas wouldn't deal.

saywut

Jun 11, 2009
Feel like 5-6 teams got gifts without having to give anything up.

Would be surprised to see Mrazek or Raanta traded, given neither team traded to protect them and Vegas got mediocre at best forwards from each team. Vegas clearly likes Pickard alot given their lack of goalie selections as well.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

Would be surprised to see Mrazek or Raanta traded, given neither team traded to protect them and Vegas got mediocre at best forwards from each team. Vegas clearly likes Pickard alot given their lack of goalie selections as well.

They did what I would have done... go bare minimum on goalies and take skaters. Skaters hold more value, goalies can be found too many other ways than to waste more than the minimum number of picks in the ED IMO.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

Well they do have a starter in MAF. Pickard ($1m) is a lot cheaper than Mrazek ($4m). $4m 1B starters aren't that easy to trade.

Raata only has a year left, and the goalie market is strange. Lindberg is a nice bottom-6 center due an RFA contract. He was stuck on the 4th line in NYR, but that was a deep FWD group.

Buf got off pretty easy with only spending a 6th to keep Ullmark, who is waiver exempt.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Wouldn't be surprised to see Vegas pick top-5 next year. They had the opportunity to be competitive right away, but looks like they wanted to stockpile picks and prospects.

saywut

Jun 11, 2009
They did what I would have done... go bare minimum on goalies and take skaters. Skaters hold more value, goalies can be found too many other ways than to waste more than the minimum number of picks in the ED IMO.

Comes down to the player for me. Raanta's numbers suggest he's a very good goaltender, the Rangers haven't felt a drop-off from Lundqvist the past 2 seasons(53 appearances for Raanta, not exactly a small sample). Feel like 10+ teams should be interested in Raanta for 1M next season, some with the potential to extend him after evaluating him. Lindberg's a bottom-6 forward. Step above waiver-fodder but not anything special.

Mrazek, understandable if there's no market, if no one thinks he's a #1 then 4M is a big hit. Nosek was still kind of surprising, yeah he had a nice AHL playoff but he'll be 25 before the season with 1 goal in 17 NHL games. Feel like taking a chance on Sheahan rebounding would've been a better option.

Pulkkinen from Arizona was another headscratcher, Burmistrov was on a 40pt pace with Arizona while Pulkkinen's a waiver clearer who should probably head back to Europe.

Calgary, Philly, Montreal, and Vancouver got gifts as well IMO. Granted Philly, Calgary, and Vancouver had some of the worst expansion lists.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Wouldn't be surprised to see Vegas pick top-5 next year. They had the opportunity to be competitive right away, but looks like they wanted to stockpile picks and prospects.

Not a bad strategy. The might have been competing for a wild card spot, but it might be better in the long run to be bad for a few years and acquire very high picks.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
with the exception of a good goal scorer or 2 i would not have picked anybody over 26. headscratchers like pulkkinen ??? you get one chance to add quality young players thats it. free agency & draft to build from there. wow they added some tuff guys for entertainment value? memo to vegas gm the 80's are over brah!

Wabit

May 23, 2016
with the exception of a good goal scorer or 2 i would not have picked anybody over 26. headscratchers like pulkkinen ??? you get one chance to add quality young players thats it. free agency & draft to build from there. wow they added some tuff guys for entertainment value? memo to vegas gm the 80's are over brah!

Did AZ have anyone else worth taking? Their list was pretty barren IIRC. There's a decent chance he'd pass through waivers at least.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

If you add good players right off the bat and have a team that can compete for the playoffs, then you have to hope to get real lucky with trades or drafting, otherwise you'll be stuck in mediocrity forever.

Pick a team as bad as the current roster is and you'll be getting top 5 picks for the next three years.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
If you add good players right off the bat and have a team that can compete for the playoffs, then you have to hope to get real lucky with trades or drafting, otherwise you'll be stuck in mediocrity forever.

Pick a team as bad as the current roster is and you'll be getting top 5 picks for the next three years.

The Wild had a much worse roster and the only top 5 pick in their first 5 years was assigned by the league... their very first pick... 3rdoa.

The next 5 were 6th, 8th, 20th, 12th, then finally the second top 5 pick in franchise history...4th, which the Wild bombed. It was obtained purely through lottery not standings, as it was from THE lockout.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Apparently McPhee had his choice of Kaprizov, Greenway or Tuch as the prospect... and chose Tuch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad