Confirmed with Link: All-Purpose Coyotes Arena Talk: Land Auction Date Set - 6/27

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I don't think the NHL wanted an educated guess. AM has already said for the arena to be ready for the 27/28 season. Who knows what was and has been discussed between the parties. All we know for sure is the Coyote's have been sold.
When did the sale take place?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
When discussing a major construction project, you should provide a planning timeline. AM likely had a planning timeline. He should have presented it as fact and said this is when the arena will be ready. Wishy-washy responses do not inspire confidence.
We don't know what was said between the parties. That's why it would be smart to wait for the presser between the parties involved and get the info we need from the horses mouth.

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
I take back everything I may have ever said uncomplementary about Leah Merrell.

Her comments about the Twitter trolls tonight have made me her fan for life. I may subscribe to PHNX just to tell her that.
I agree. I don't blame her for being as outspoken as she was in that rant. Those people need to get a life. If you feel the need to spew that garbage, you have issues and need anger management.

Reactions: Prarievarg

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Part of me wants Meruelo to arrive at the contract signing, cut a promo, tear up the contract and give Uncle Gary a Stunner.
I wanna see a presser with Meruelo, Bettman, Weiers and Phelps, in which the clothing of the former two has the knees wore out and tattered, complete with bloody knees, as they announce a deal with the latter to lease the Glendale arena for a five year minimum.

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Love Brian Burke. That "Hey Burkie" series is probably the funniest hockey series on YouTube.

The other wrench in all of this is Meruelo may not sign in the end. He might be like, "sorry league I'd rather keep the Yotes and continue to play Mullett arena" then what can the league do. Sue Meruelo? There's nothing in the CBA that talks about rink size, I don't know the internals here but I don't necessarily know if they can take the team away from him IF he doesn't want to sell (which is probably why the sale price is so much higher than he paid).

Sale is most likely going through but I think there's a small chance they end up next year in Mullett. 1-2% maybe, but it's there. That would be the most Coyotes thing ever
Didn't know about "Hey Burkie" until now. Thanks. Love Burke

Reactions: PainForShane

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
If you think that grifter can win the auction(if there even is an auction), then somehow fund the entire build, then somehow pay back the billion from the NHL--all in 3 years--then you're goofier than I ever thought. The 10-12 years, though? I think you're absolutely correct about that.

MLB is far from broken, other than the fact they still employ Angel Hernandez for some unknown reason. He's worse at his job than anyone has ever been at anything, ever.

As one of the few Valley residents residing east of the 17 that didn't complain about the drive to Glendale, I went to nearly all of those games between 2012 and 2020. I know what the averages say and I know I spent $15 or less for 90% of those games. But other than against the usual suspects, if you believe there were really 13k on average every night, I'll just say 'Okay' and not argue with you. 9k is closer to accurate.

1713277701106.png

Reactions: Summer Rose

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
View attachment 852729

I'm not saying you were incorrect. I'm saying those numbers weren't the actual number of people in the barn.

One of the reasons you and others don't like AM is because you think he has lied, I think some said something along the lines of a snake oil salesman, and then when he answers a question truthfully you say he should have lied to the NHL. And you call me goofy. :laugh::laugh::laugh:
He shouldn't have lied to the NHL. Nowhere in my post did I say that. I said if he was serious, he have had people doing the work to have those answers for him, i.e. doing the legwork to have the timeline ready when the NHL asked for it. But if you can re-post the part where I said he should have lied, feel free.

Reactions: DustyDangler

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
I don't even think AM is lying, or is a liar.. He's actually trying, I just think they are all cocky incompetent morons.
Definitely an inexperienced sports team owner… any other business people would likely love him.. but this is all about the fans , and perception matters.. it’s not like hiring contractors and paying them when the job is done or sending out checks on the 15rth day of the quarter..

Perception is huge.. and the CEO is supposed to be all over that..

But the CEO wouldn’t shut up during the Tempe vote, and did a 180 , hasn’t said a peep , other than “decline to comment “and is acting like the Ambassador to Latin America..

It makes me wonder if he is no longer the CEO and when that stopped

Reactions: Prarievarg

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
Couple things...

I know many of you crap on The Athletic and Katie Strang, etc., but I have it on good authority that Coyote staffers are lined up to give interviews relating to working under/for Meruelo, and those interviews start today. Things like blatantly not paying bills, etc., and "the people being interviewed know where the bodies are buried" and "it's all going to come out." So stay tuned for that.

On a really bright note, there are several former players including Shane Doan, Ray Whitney, and Jason DeMers that are forming a group that funds and supports youth hockey Valley-wide in order to lessen the effect of the Coyotes leaving. The NHL gives every team in every NHL city a chunk of money to put towards youth hockey programs yearly, and the move obviously takes that money away. Naturally, Doan is at the forefront and driving this new group.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Couple things...

I know many of you crap on The Athletic and Katie Strang, etc., but I have it on good authority that Coyote staffers are lined up to give interviews relating to working under/for Meruelo, and those interviews start today. Things like blatantly not paying bills, etc., and "the people being interviewed know where the bodies are buried" and "it's all going to come out." So stay tuned for that.

On a really bright note, there are several former players including Shane Doan, Ray Whitney, and Jason DeMers that are forming a group that funds and supports youth hockey Valley-wide in order to lessen the effect of the Coyotes leaving. The NHL gives every team in every NHL city a chunk of money to put towards youth hockey programs yearly, and the move obviously takes that money away. Naturally, Doan is at the forefront and driving this new group.

There's a website called archive.ph that "archives" existing websites, kind of like an internet time capsule.

Basically you put the relevant website into the top search bar, and archive.ph creates a forever copy of the site with limited functionality, so things like videos, ads, and potentially paywalls sometimes (often) do not load.

Use that information how you will

Reactions: GhostofTommyBolin

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
Couple things...

I just hate that the media is still trying to dig up more on AM… he is the only owner that has tried and is trying to keep the NHL in town…

The guy is inexperienced but he is human and has a family.. And he hasn’t been able to defend himself yet..

Katie strang should let it go a move on ..

The news is the Yotes are moving.. the rest is a one sided narrative to hurt someone and his reputation..

Let’s wait and see if he wins the auction and makes the arena..

Remember he didn’t want to sell .. the NHL pushed by Walsh forced him to

Reactions: BigJCaRoach

Baby Doaner

Mar 14, 2021
Couple things...

Can’t wait to read up on that ‘bombshell’. Haha. GTFO

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
I just hate that the media is still trying to dig up more on AM… he is the only owner that has tried and is trying to keep the NHL in town…

The guy is inexperienced but he is human and has a family.. And he hasn’t been able to defend himself yet..

Katie strang should let it go a move on ..

The news is the Yotes are moving.. the rest is a one sided narrative to hurt someone and his reputation..

Let’s wait and see if he wins the auction and makes the arena..

Remember he didn’t want to sell .. the NHL pushed by Walsh forced him to
The media isn't digging. Staffers went to them.

Can’t wait to read up on that ‘bombshell’. Haha. GTFO
It's not a bombshell when we already know he's a shady bastard. It's just a reveal of exactly how much of one he is.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
If there's an interesting story, then it should be reported, whether it's good or bad for the future of hockey in the desert.

I suspect the details will reflect very poorly on Meruelo but it will be more of what we already knew. It probably won't get in the way of him rejoining the league if everything else aligns.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

All due respect but this is not an accurate take. Whatever damage Meruelo's reputation is taking is 100 percent his own fault. Nobody forced him to act in bad faith. He chose to do that. That's the way he does business. And the "woe is me" and "witch hunt" narrative is the standard fallback of the guilty who is hoping to deflect attention from the facts.

The receipts don't lie. And Meruelo doesn't have any with regard to his "hockey philanthropy" other than a lot of hot air and promises. But broken contracts, non payment, and everything else that's going to come out here in the next little while is sobering.

For some reason, rich guys have groupies. I've never understood it. But the evidence is significant and mounting daily that Alex Meruelo is not a very good businessman and definitely not a good sports owner.

Snarky Coyote

Sponsor
May 3, 2009
Now with more snark
At a minimum, the Coyote's ownership has made some (many) unhelpful mistakes. I don't believe that many self-made billionaires are stupid, so either he has a structure that shields him from looking bad or just doesn't care. I don't expect this to be an inflection point where we see changing behavior, but stranger things have happened. Many things will come out that make Merulo look bad, either because of fired staffers or other owners who don't want to reward him for his poor stewardship of the team. Sadly, in the most coyote thing ever, we won't know unless we go through the various hurdles, starting with the land auction and proceeding from there. We will still not know for another 3-5 years unless he cuts and runs. Also, from an investment perspective, he is definitely being rewarded to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars. Katie Strang can drag me for much less than a half a billion dollars

Reactions: The Feckless Puck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad