Confirmed with Link: All-Purpose Coyotes Arena Talk: Land Auction Date Set - 6/27

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019

Love Brian Burke. That "Hey Burkie" series is probably the funniest hockey series on YouTube.

The other wrench in all of this is Meruelo may not sign in the end. He might be like, "sorry league I'd rather keep the Yotes and continue to play Mullett arena" then what can the league do. Sue Meruelo? There's nothing in the CBA that talks about rink size, I don't know the internals here but I don't necessarily know if they can take the team away from him IF he doesn't want to sell (which is probably why the sale price is so much higher than he paid).

Sale is most likely going through but I think there's a small chance they end up next year in Mullett. 1-2% maybe, but it's there. That would be the most Coyotes thing ever

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
, I don't know the internals here but I don't necessarily know if they can take the team away from him IF he doesn't want to sell (which is probably why the sale price is so much higher than he paid).

Yeah, basically "here's a billion dollars for a trouble asset"

and assuming this whole second part isn't a sham**** "and if you still actually want to own an NHL team just get your shit done and you still will and it will be an appreciating asset anyway so it's not like you're actually losing money"

"And if it doesn't work out hey you get to keep a billion bucks"

It's like win-win-win. Well except for us. Even in the theoretical world where we get a fancy expansion team in undefined number of years..........WE GET TO REBUILD AGAIN FOR THE FORTH TIME YAY!
Competitive hockey coming to Arizona in approximately 2035 to 2040

*Many more asterisks are needed.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I think it's a safe assumption the league stacked the deck against Meruelo as much as possible, knowing he won't get it done. The desired outcome is to sell a team to whomever owns the Suns (after the next two expansion teams come into the league) to be put in a new arena together.

Seattle only paid $650m. Charging Meruelo a billion for salted earth (that mostly hates him) would normally be picked up on as insult enough to go away. AM staying in it and playing this stupid game with the auction/roadrunners smacks of a bruised ego.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
The desired outcome is to sell a team to whomever owns the Suns (after the next two expansion teams come into the league) to be put in a new arena together.

Yes, ammending my prior statement to comptitive hockey in Arizona in 2040-2045.

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
I think it's a safe assumption the league stacked the deck against Meruelo as much as possible, knowing he won't get it done. The desired outcome is to sell a team to whomever owns the Suns (after the next two expansion teams come into the league) to be put in a new arena together.

Seattle only paid $650m. Charging Meruelo a billion for salted earth (that mostly hates him) would normally be picked up on as insult enough to go away. AM staying in it and playing this stupid game with the auction/roadrunners smacks of a bruised ego.
If he does anything but take this absolute gift from the NHL and walk away and never return, his family should have him fitted for a strait jacket.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Yeah, basically "here's a billion dollars for a trouble asset"

and assuming this whole second part isn't a sham**** "and if you still actually want to own an NHL team just get your shit done and you still will and it will be an appreciating asset anyway so it's not like you're actually losing money"

"And if it doesn't work out hey you get to keep a billion bucks"

It's like win-win-win. Well except for us. Even in the theoretical world where we get a fancy expansion team in undefined number of years..........WE GET TO REBUILD AGAIN FOR THE FORTH TIME YAY!
Competitive hockey coming to Arizona in approximately 2035 to 2040

*Many more asterisks are needed.

Almost exactly what I said in BoH… but you phrased it better.

Everyone gets their assets covered and the fans pick up the check.

Reactions: GhostofTommyBolin

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Friedman says that beyond keeping a hockey presence in Arizona, Meruelo wanted to keep the Roadrunners as it allows him to maintain his sports gambling license in the state. This was a crucial part of the sale. Friedman also basically laughed at the license as the team’s progress with Sahara Bets has been a joke up until this point (which is true).

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

Well… it’s not exactly like a billion for salted earth.

They’re getting Salt Lake City for their $1.2 billion expansion price and putting a billion of it on Lay-a-Way at the local Arizona WalMart.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
Meurelo knew this was happening by January 1st. Or at least he DEFINITELY knew by the time they announced the land auction stuff, and released all those renderings. Total scumbag move to give the fans so much false hope.

I hope to God that Phoenix gets a hockey team back soon, but it can't be with this grifter running it.

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
Friedman says that beyond keeping a hockey presence in Arizona, Meruelo wanted to keep the Roadrunners as it allows him to maintain his sports gambling license in the state. This was a crucial part of the sale. Friedman also basically laughed at the license as the team’s progress with Sahara Bets has been a joke up until this point (which is true).
I just so desperately want a time when a reporter doesn’t laugh when talking about our owner. My single biggest hope if a team ever returns here is that it’s just a normal f***ing team

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Friedman also basically laughed at the license as the team’s progress with Sahara Bets has been a joke up until this point (which is true).

This is yet another strike against him. You go to all this trouble to get such a valuable commodity you can do a lot with and...........do nothing with it.

I can't even think of a meme that dumb to post in response.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
This is yet another strike against him. You go to all this trouble to get such a valuable commodity you can do a lot with and...........do nothing with it.

Fits with Craig’s article this morning where he’s wanting to move the Roadrunners to the Mullett but so far….. OVG nor ASU have heard from him…. Tucson hasn’t heard from him either.

Real life “Where in Arizona is Carmen San Diego” we got here…..

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto

They should have put Junior in charge of it ;)

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
Fits with Craig’s article this morning where he’s wanting to move the Roadrunners to the Mullett but so far….. OVG nor ASU have heard from him…. Tucson hasn’t heard from him either.

Real life “Where in Arizona is Carmen San Diego” we got here…..
Well I think is because no one was supposed to be talking about it , and people have been leaking everything.

Hi goal is to move them to Mullet, but ASU may not want them there.. but he couldn’t talk to them as this is supposed to be behind closed doors

Reactions: Jakey53

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
Sahara Bets was hilarious. It launched like 8 months late and looked and felt like absolute garbage.

It's like he got community college students to make it

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Well I think is because no one was supposed to be talking about it , and people have been leaking everything.

But if the NHL wants this deal done soon, if they expect AM to sign off on it, and these are things AM insists on before signing off on the deal; it's kind of important to be farther along than "we haven't even heard from him yet." Not so sure the NHL would impose a gag order so unconditional that it puts meeting their timeline in jeopardy, but maybe they did.

But this also sounds like Meruelo continuing to be two steps behind in everything he's done in relation to the Coyotes, so...

Last edited:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

I remember running some competitive intel reports on it. They never even tried to direct online traffic to it. Never made an effort. Same was true for the Yes on 300, 301, and 302. Never bothered to spend anything online. Alex Junior was probably in charge of both digital/social campaigns.

Sahara Bets was hilarious. It launched like 8 months late and looked and felt like absolute garbage.

It's like he got community college students to make it
Or his son.

They should have put Junior in charge of it ;)
I see I should’ve continued scrolling before replying. Haha.

Reactions: Nowotny

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
How could Meruelo provide a definitive timeline when the auction was still looming?

No one could, but I would have given them a definitive answer. If you end up missing that date 3-4 years in the future, nothing bad would happen. He should have stated the plans most optimistic timeline as if it were fact.

In my profession, I have to do predictive analysis. Essentially, predicting future events that are determined by human action (not physical science based). I always state my predictions as if they were fact. My boss knows it's just an educated guess. Some would call it a SWAG...stupid wild assed guess.

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Someone that's serious about accomplishing what was planned would have had people doing the work to prepare him for that meeting with answers to potential questions like that.

Honestly, even if the TED vote had gone Meruelo's way, I don't think he would've made it happen. People can keep saying "He's a billionaire" and "He knows how to develop land" all they want. But do we know that for certain? We haven't seen him do anything but operate with shady business practices.
One of the reasons you and others don't like AM is because you think he has lied, I think some said something along the lines of a snake oil salesman, and then when he answers a question truthfully you say he should have lied to the NHL. And you call me goofy. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Love Brian Burke. That "Hey Burkie" series is probably the funniest hockey series on YouTube.

The other wrench in all of this is Meruelo may not sign in the end. He might be like, "sorry league I'd rather keep the Yotes and continue to play Mullett arena" then what can the league do. Sue Meruelo? There's nothing in the CBA that talks about rink size, I don't know the internals here but I don't necessarily know if they can take the team away from him IF he doesn't want to sell (which is probably why the sale price is so much higher than he paid).

Sale is most likely going through but I think there's a small chance they end up next year in Mullett. 1-2% maybe, but it's there. That would be the most Coyotes thing ever
The Coyote's are gone. Now this is in AM's court. What he does or doesn't do going forward, starting with the land auction, will give us a pretty good idea of his intentions. Hopefully the presser from the NHL and AM latter this week gives a bit more clarification as well.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
No one could, but I would have given them a definitive answer. If you end up missing that date 3-4 years in the future, nothing bad would happen. He should have stated the plans most optimistic timeline as if it were fact.

In my profession, I have to do predictive analysis. Essentially, predicting future events that are determined by human action (not physical science based). I always state my predictions as if they were fact. My boss knows it's just an educated guess. Some would call it a SWAG...stupid wild assed guess.
I don't think the NHL wanted an educated guess. AM has already said for the arena to be ready for the 27/28 season. Who knows what was and has been discussed between the parties. All we know for sure is the Coyote's have been sold.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I don't think the NHL wanted an educated guess. AM has already said for the arena to be ready for the 27/28 season. Who knows what was and has been discussed between the parties. All we know for sure is the Coyote's have been sold.

When discussing a major construction project, you should provide a planning timeline. AM likely had a planning timeline. He should have presented it as fact and said this is when the arena will be ready. Wishy-washy responses do not inspire confidence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad