All Purpose Coronavirus Discussion IV - Splendid Isolation

Status
Not open for further replies.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Be safe dude.

Just what you want during a toilet paper shortage, free Taco Bell.

Who do you think snapped up all of the toilet paper? TB is also selling rolls of single-ply to go with your free Doritos Taco for $5.00 & double-ply for $12.00. Run to the border, indeed.

The Taco Bell people are nefarious.

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
Going to have to edit this post with the link, but according to a USA Today article the virus may have been here back in Fall of '19, before this was a thing to most people; before anyone even threw the word 'pandemic' out there.

Back around Christmas or New Year I caught what was seemingly a cold that had a persistent cough along with it. The cough was fairly painful and lasted about 10-14 days along with some fatigue and aches. I never went to the doctor for it, but rather took some meds and got through it. Took a day off from work and carried on like normal. I remember the cough taking maybe a bit longer to go away.

I wondered people's thoughts on this. Is it legitimate to wonder if maybe you've already had this and recovered? Does anyone have a similar experience to share?

Edit here's the link: Coronavirus fact check: Could your December cough have been COVID-19?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Going to have to edit this post with the link, but according to a USA Today article the virus may have been here back in Fall of '19, before this was a thing to most people; before anyone even threw the word 'pandemic' out there.

Back around Christmas or New Year I caught what was seemingly a cold that had a persistent cough along with it. The cough was fairly painful and lasted about 10-14 days along with some fatigue and aches. I never went to the doctor for it, but rather took some meds and got through it. Took a day off from work and carried on like normal. I remember the cough taking maybe a bit longer to go away.

I wondered people's thoughts on this. Is it legitimate to wonder if maybe you've already had this and recovered? Does anyone have a similar experience to share?

Edit here's the link: Coronavirus fact check: Could your December cough have been COVID-19?

The first documented case in Wuhan was mid-November so it definitely could have been in the US by December of 2019. My friend Matt is convinced he had it in February. All the symptoms and his cough was so bad he had blood in it.

Reactions: Pilut Light

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It has less to do with geography than culture and history.

South Korea is pretty much next to China, they were traumatized by the SARS and MERS scares, and took steps to prepare for the next outbreak. And Koreans, while pretty individualistic and stubborn, accept the need for cooperation and coordination in fighting a pandemic.

Americans are both stupid and stubborn, many still think they're living in the 19th century, give lip service to "rugged individualism" (until they need a handout, see the farm states lining up for their subsidies while preaching the virtues of free markets), and oppose government on principle (until the roads and schools collapse, see Kansas). And they believe the most egregious BS they read on Facebook because they're poorly educated and love to engage in wishful thinking (it can't happen here, I'm telling you my dear).

So we dealt with the COVID-19 first through denial, then by being stupid. We crippled the federal government's capability to respond, and we have 50 states and numerous local authorities struggling to figure out what to do (local government lacks the expertise and resources to respond to a pandemic and can't control their borders). And we have millions of fools fighting for their right to party or are more worried about their stock portfolio than dying.

By the end of April, all those states that are in denial will be swamped with cases, if you double every three days, 1 case becomes 512 by the end of the month. Small towns and rural areas with limited hospital facilities will soon be overwhelmed.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne

Yeah, well, the scientists aren't gonna suck off his ego, so someone has to do it. Clown.

New York City - 302.6 mi²
Montana - 147,040 mi²

I hope I have made it clear to you why Montana is collapsing under the weight of this pandemic. They are too big to contain it.

Yeah population density has waaaaaay more to do with it. If you wanted to visualize a comparable for South Korea, imagine cutting out an area from Connecticut to NoVA, then going inward to Harrisburg so you have a lot of rural Maryland, PA, and New York. That's roughly the size of the actual country, it probably gets you to roughly the right number of people (over 50 million) and close to the same density: SK has one mega-city, a handful of smaller-but-still-big ones, and a lot of rural/mountainous areas.

Last edited:
Reactions: pit

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Yes, the evidence has clearly borne out that islands and other nations that don't share a land border with China need not worry.

C'mon man. Stop. This isn't like arguing that Scott Gordon is a good coach.

I'd almost prefer the argument that Gordo is a good coach. At least that one can be chalked up to pure idiocy. This 'argument' cant even be chalked up to idiocy, it's literally just a sever lack of comprehension about the world, how it works, and the socioeconomic impact of things.

Its times like this when people who just pretend to be book smart really show their true colors, and man are they showing.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Yes, the evidence has clearly borne out that islands and other nations that don't share a land border with China need not worry.

C'mon man. Stop. This isn't like arguing that Scott Gordon is a good coach.
Is it easier to contain something in a small area, or an area 103x larger?

C’mon, man. If you think it’s the same, you aren’t using common sense.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I went to the bank for the 1st time in 3 weeks. I was met by a bank employee who asked me 4 questions before they would let me even inside the back(ones about a cough, travel, symptoms, etc). Then once inside, we were asked to sanitize hands and told to only stand on the green dots they had spaced out for people. Luckily when I went in, there was only 1 teller with a customer and 1 teller empty...for me. Passed her my deposit book then was required to step back to the green dot. Once finished, she slid the book back and then stepped back so I could retrieve it. And before leaving, was asked to use sanitizer and avoid touching the doors with hands.

Not the usual run to the bank but nice to see they are doing their part.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I went to the bank for the 1st time in 3 weeks. I was met by a bank employee who asked me 4 questions before they would let me even inside the back(ones about a cough, travel, symptoms, etc). Then once inside, we were asked to sanitize hands and told to only stand on the green dots they had spaced out for people. Luckily when I went in, there was only 1 teller with a customer and 1 teller empty...for me. Passed her my deposit book then was required to step back to the green dot. Once finished, she slid the book back and then stepped back so I could retrieve it. And before leaving, was asked to use sanitizer and avoid touching the doors with hands.

Not the usual run to the bank but nice to see they are doing their part.

Did you happen to tell them that you were a Raptors fan?

mja

Jan 7, 2005
The first documented case in Wuhan was mid-November so it definitely could have been in the US by December of 2019. My friend Matt is convinced he had it in February. All the symptoms and his cough was so bad he had blood in it.

I got some nasty bug at the end of Feb. No idea what it was, but had a fever for 2-3 days that spiked around 103.5 untreated (I tend to get pretty bad fevers), really awful chills, loss of appetite with some nausea (both symptoms I usually suffer from when sick), as well as a persistent dry cough. No shortness of breath.

mja

Jan 7, 2005
Is it easier to contain something in a small area, or an area 103x larger?

C’mon, man. If you think it’s the same, you aren’t using common sense.

I'll go tell Boris Johnson he's got nothing to worry about.

This is like the opposite of common sense. As has been already pointed out to you, population density matters far more than total geographic area. South Korea is the 23rd most densely populated country in the world. The US is 179th.

Reactions: Rebels57

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Actually yes. We talked how tonight on Sportsnet a 8 pm EST, they are showing Game 7 of the Raptors vs 76ers playoff series from last year.

You should watch it if you have not seen it.

d9fe2aee.jpg

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Hmm... A country that has practically had no new cases lately still won't open up athletics. Gee, I wonder why? Could the commies be lying?!?!

or could it be that you need to take extra precaution with this virus to ensure no new cases. You need atleast 3 weeks of no new cases before you can resume normal life.

As soon as America gets 1 week of no new cases I guarantee Trump will open things up for business to a disastrous effect.

Flyrs21

Dec 17, 2006
Not sure how that matters. Once it's in your country that's it. Game over.
Someone was talking about how S Korea is containing it. Easier to contain in area that doesn't have traffic that can come in and out freely. In a 15 hour car ride in the U.S. someone can travel from NY to florida and contaminate most of the east coast. 15 hours in S. Korea someone would be doing circles around the country. Yes you cover the same distance but highly unlikely someone is doing that in S. Korea.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
or could it be that you need to take extra precaution with this virus to ensure no new cases. You need atleast 3 weeks of no new cases before you can resume normal life.

As soon as America gets 1 week of no new cases I guarantee Trump will open things up for business to a disastrous effect.

It's both but if anyone out there believes China's numbers about this entire thing I have some bridges to sell you.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Someone was talking about how S Korea is containing it. Easier to contain in area that doesn't have traffic that can come in and out freely. In a 15 hour car ride in the U.S. someone can travel from NY to florida and contaminate most of the east coast. 15 hours in S. Korea someone would be doing circles around the country. Yes you cover the same distance but highly unlikely someone is doing that in S. Korea.

I'm not sure if you're confusing the two Koreas. People can travel about in South Korea.

The difference isn't geography. The difference is that they took early and effective action and followed their own response plans while we failed at that.

Reactions: Asnito and Rebels57
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• New York Yankees @ Minnesota Twins
    New York Yankees @ Minnesota Twins
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $3,757.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Las Palmas vs Real Betis