Coach Discussion: All Purpose Coaching Thread Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Hot take prediction:
Jets this year are the Pens of old in that they win the cup this year on the backs of an abundance of talent up front with little to nothing on the back end. I doubted those pens just like I doubt these Jets to be legit contenders but the similarities are there especially the hot goaltending...

You could be right--if the Goaltending stays really hot, thru the season and into the playoffs, we could win it all. We have the firepower up front.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
There’s really no point in constantly beating that dead horse over and over with a holier then thou attitude. Your post points out the exact reason why and everyone should just move on. Things within the team were clearly an issue last year. But NOW, that is far from the case and we should move forward. The team already has.

This entire thread is 27 pages and 2 other full threads of horse beating.

I've been reading about PoMo's coaching record from his time in Hartford for 5 years now....

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
Likely Maurice now realizes that he threw away last season by not being willing to do his job, stand up to Wheeler, and split up he and Scheif. We are a much better team with two strong, dangerous forward lines. Sad to waste a season like that.

There is a serious amount of revisionist history and tea leaf reading in your comments.

We have no idea how they would have performed split up last season. The last time they were split and Chef had Laine and Ehlers on his wings they got absolutely caved in despite success in a very small sample size.

Laine, Connor and Ehlers have all grown their games. Laine and Ehlers especially. That likely has made this switch more successful because to be honest Chef is not very good in his own zone and cheats for offense a lot. He needs his wingers to play well in the D zone.

If you were being honest you'd acknowledge you don't actually know what would have happened last year with them split.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Likely Maurice now realizes that he threw away last season by not being willing to do his job, stand up to Wheeler, and split up he and Scheif. We are a much better team with two strong, dangerous forward lines. Sad to waste a season like that.
Lol, love your dedication in trying to spin anything and everything as examples of coaching or GM’ing incompetence.

Likely Maurice now realizes HE threw last season away....lol

Now, Maurice is have coaching epiphanies insinuating he was the soul reason for last season not goin so well, based on your personal opinion.

The one and only thing that held this team back last season was Maurice’s reluctance to split up Scheif and Wheeler.

Lol, transparently hilarious. Carry on.....

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
There is a serious amount of revisionist history and tea leaf reading in your comments.

We have no idea how they would have performed split up last season. The last time they were split and Chef had Laine and Ehlers on his wings they got absolutely caved in despite success in a very small sample size.

Laine, Connor and Ehlers have all grown their games. Laine and Ehlers especially. That likely has made this switch more successful because to be honest Chef is not very good in his own zone and cheats for offense a lot. He needs his wingers to play well in the D zone.

If you were being honest you'd acknowledge you don't actually know what would have happened last year with them split.
Good post!

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida

Of course no one knows for sure what would have happened. If you were being honest you would admit that it would have been different. We needed something different because what we did, did not work. And it didn't sneak up on us, that we needed something different. We were ~ 0.500 wins and losses for over three months leading up to the playoffs.

Reactions: Bigfish and rkp

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Also, Maurice's refusal to play Buff, Ehlers and Morrissey while they had serious injuries in the 2nd half of the year was a big drag on the team.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Just thought I would chime in to say that I don't care why or when we made the changes or under what circumstances, I'm just happy to watch this team right now. Maybe the changes could have been made earlier, maybe not, we'll never really know. But the lineup as it stands now is working extremely well and the team 'looks' much happier and more engaged for whatever reason.

I'm just happy we are where we are right now, and I'm ready to just enjoy it.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
We should open a “Let’s keep rehashing the 2018-19 season” thread. It might keep this one more relevant.
There is new information re Wheeler making the decision about who he plays with and on which line. Ates interview. It is a valid question re is this a decision that a coach should defer to a player, especially when it hurts the team. And what that effect is on the teams performance - past, present and future. It is about the coach first and foremost.

Reactions: DashingDane and rkp

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
IMO it is one of the false narratives of this board that Maurice is inferior to other NHL coaches in terms of his tactical and strategic approaches. I haven't seen anyone present convincing evidence that this should be the accepted as fact. The Jets had one underachieving season, and that IMO can be attributed to what was going on in the room more than anything. To date this season the team is overachieving and a lot of that has to do with how Maurice has got a group of castoffs to play defense as a group, minimizing their individual deficiencies. I found Murat's article in the Athletic on how he was wrong on Pionk interesting to how Maurice sees the game and how he has helped a defense group become greater than the sum of its parts.

LOL you amazingly deliberately left out hellybucks goaltending as the reason for the success of the team this season...the evidence is there, you refuse to accept and see it.

Reactions: Bigfish

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
The only reason is we are winning is because of our forwards scoring , no the only reason is because of our defense . Why are these things ok but if we are winning because of goaltending , fire Maurice right now ? You need good goaltending or you aren't winning anything , just look at Edmonton this season , they are going absolutely no where with their goaltending . If we were winning 7-6 every game people would say fire Maurice we have no defense or goaltending .

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
LOL you amazingly deliberately left out hellybucks goaltending as the reason for the success of the team this season...the evidence is there, you refuse to accept and see it.
Helly is paid as a top tier goaltender therefore I expect Helly to provide good to great goaltending. I didn't leave him out he is just doing what should be expected of him. No different than other top teams that also depend on their goalie to play up to expectations.

Reactions: Jets 31 and Guffman

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Helly is paid as a top tier goaltender therefore I expect Helly to provide good to great goaltending. I didn't leave him out he is just doing what should be expected of him. No different than other top teams that also depend on their goalie to play up to expectations.
What were you expecting out of Pavelec for the 5 years circa 2012-2017? :laugh:

Reactions: rkp

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Helle is paid to be an above average starter, he's not paid to be a top 3 goalie (which he is this year). His career save percentage heading into this year was a .915. He's running at a career best .930, I think you are understating his contributions. I don't think many people were expecting this level of performance.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
What were you expecting out of Pavelec for the 5 years circa 2012-2017? :laugh:
S*** just like we got. Helly is far better than Pavs and is paid in the top starter range. I also believe what we saw in the 2017-18 season is what we should expect from Helly.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
He is in the last year of his contract

The way I see it is they haven't extended him because he would be the perfect scapegoat if things didn't go well this season. If we bottomed out this year they could let him go at the end of the season and not have to pay his salary. Now they wait till sometime in the new year when its closer to playoffs and sign him for 3 more years.

It is harsh but it is a sound business decision

Reactions: GNP and Duke749

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
S*** just like we got. Helly is far better than Pavs and is paid in the top starter range. I also believe what we saw in the 2017-18 season is what we should expect from Helly.
Pavelec had the 14th highest cap hit for goalies in 2012. 17th in terms of cap hit percentage at the time he was signed. We should've expected about average goaltending from him, if contract value is the measuring stick for expectations...

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
He is in the last year of his contract

The way I see it is they haven't extended him because he would be the perfect scapegoat if things didn't go well this season. If we bottomed out this year they could let him go at the end of the season and not have to pay his salary. Now they wait till sometime in the new year when its closer to playoffs and sign him for 3 more years.

It is harsh but it is a sound business decision
I still don't totally buy the idea that Maurice's contract is done at the end of this season. TNSE is all about loyalty and I think there's little chance that they'd let Maurice dangle on a lame-duck year.

Bartho

Feb 26, 2013
Wpg
Pavelec had the 14th highest cap hit for goalies in 2012. 17th in terms of cap hit percentage at the time he was signed. We should've expected about average goaltending from him, if contract value is the measuring stick for expectations...
I was at Brazen Hall shortly after it opened and Pavelec and some guy came in and were seated at a table adjacent to us. When the server came to take their order, he didn't look up from his phone at all during their interaction. He made no eye contact and seemed quite dismissive to the young woman. It was off-putting. I'm sure somehow this makes Maurice a worse coach.
:sarcasm:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad