Coach Discussion: All Purpose Coaching Thread Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I mean the lack of offense isn't unique to them haha

At the team level it looks so uniform that it feels like it almost must be by design. I'd be interested in seeing where the Jets rank in terms of rebound shots, I feel like they're a team that doesn't really go for second chances on offense.

I tend to agree with you about rebounds. I think their lack of activating D means that other teams don't get out of position as much and are better able to protect the front of the net. I also think that keeping a 3rd forward high has resulted in fewer rebound chances / shots from the slot.

Reactions: Rheged

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Well, I'll let the jury decide who's making sense or not here... ;)

How? Oh wait, let me guess, wait for the team to lose then paint it as a coaching issue.

See here is the problem with that. They should be losing with this roster, and the fact that they are not only supports how good the coaching has been this season.

Them losing, only helps validate what you and most others thought back in October, that this team would be hard pressed to get a wild card spot. I was expecting this team to be on the outside of a wild card spot for most of the first half, and make a push in the second half.

They are above that, and that is coaching. Waiting for losses, which is what you are doing, only confirms the fact we have a depleted lineup.

Maurice has done a fab job with this decimated team, overachieving by most logical and reasonable assessments.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Hate is a term used loosely around here - don't mistake it for the literal meaning of the word.
Sometimes it's used to reflect a surge in anti-player feedback - with the Jet's and most teams, there is always someone who gets pounded.
There is usually merit in the feedback and other times it's simply piling on or player preference to an extent.
Laine, Little, Wheeler, Roz, Ehlers - they have all taken a turn with the "hate".
Eventually, it moves to the next in line - one bad game has the potential to set the ball rolling

Oh, I get it. It's just a bit of a pet peeve of mine. Sort of like things are either one extreme or another. It causes division usually, because people get called 'haters' when they are simply discussing something.

But I get your point.

Reactions: Psych0dad

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
I like the conversation thus far and don’t have much to interject with but I’ll leave everyone with the following: the Jets are very obviously favouring a select few shots and chances over others likely not so much on location but what precedes it (passing, puck movement, screening goalie); but, they’re also very obviously placing a high importance on eliminating odd man rushes against and are forcing teams to try and score past the 5-10 second mark after they enter the zone.

Put two and two together, and it’s pretty clear to me why the Jets are ice cold in front of the opposing goaltender and slightly warm in front of their own.

1OApick

Jun 29, 2016
Our special teams are not doing well at the tämoment but still we are playing better hockey than last year. Allthough this deck might fall haven't seen advanced stats but could guess we are not on solid ground.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I think our PP will get better , we have too much talent for it not to and when it does pick up that will give Helly some slack . We will have a better 4th line , PP and PK when Little gets back .

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Funny, Keefe suddenly has the Leafs playing like the Jets in their own end, and much like Carlyle used to have the Leafs play as well. Everyone collapsing low and between the dots taking away the middle lanes.

The Jets are clearly trying to make the opposition have to come 200 feet in transition, limit turnover through the neutral zone, blue lines and don’t get caught throwing the puck away with three guys deep. They look a lot more like the 17-18 teams structurally away from the puck, but are obviously more conservative in attack, especially activating the D along the wall and jumping into the rush in transition. Biggest difference is obviously the talent on the back end, they just don’t have the same pieces as that team and their style of play reflects it.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
This may have already been posted, but The Athletic recently ran a story about PoMo's relationship with a Jets fan who had a terminal illness. It's a lovely piece, and gives some insight into the kindness and thoughtfulness of the man behind the bench.

Paul Maurice's friendship with a young Jets fan lasted less...

As head coach of the Winnipeg Jets, Maurice receives a number of requests for his time. Winnipeg’s True North Youth Foundation is active in Winnipeg schools, hospitals, and summer camps. Maurice regularly participates in these programs, partly because of a responsibility he feels based on his position with the Jets.

“But this one was outside the team,” says Maurice. “A friend from outside the organization contacted me and I just felt I should do this. I don’t do nearly as much as I could — you could turn it into another full time job if you wanted — but I felt that I should.”

Maurice seems like a good guy. This story reminds me of an earlier one, when the news broke about the vicious hazing going on in some junior organizations:

Unrestricted free agent Shawn Matthias tweeted Carcillo's series of posts, saying his experience as a rookie on the OHL's Belleville Bulls left him "an angry confused young man" until he joined the NHL's Winnipeg Jets, where he said head coach Paul Maurice and other members of the organization helped him overcome his trauma.
Matthias did not immediately respond to an interview request from The Canadian Press. Maurice declined comment.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/carcillo-hazing-hockey-ohl-1.4920922

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Maurice seems like a good guy. This story reminds me of an earlier one, when the news broke about the vicious hazing going on in some junior organizations:

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/carcillo-hazing-hockey-ohl-1.4920922
I believe Maurice is probably better than most coaches at not being an abusive ass to his players. Then again, he's made some strange roster moves that look a bit like "being a dick just because" - not taking the young Finns to Finland, not playing Heinola in the HC, etc. Maybe it's just Finns...?

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
How? Oh wait, let me guess, wait for the team to lose then paint it as a coaching issue.

See here is the problem with that. They should be losing with this roster, and the fact that they are not only supports how good the coaching has been this season.

Them losing, only helps validate what you and most others thought back in October, that this team would be hard pressed to get a wild card spot. I was expecting this team to be on the outside of a wild card spot for most of the first half, and make a push in the second half.

They are above that, and that is coaching. Waiting for losses, which is what you are doing, only confirms the fact we have a depleted lineup.

Maurice has done a fab job with this decimated team, overachieving by most logical and reasonable assessments.
Hellloooo! the only reason this team is in the spot where they are now is because of hellybuck despite pomo's coaching(putting copp on the number 1 pp..seriously)..everyone concedes that point, even all the media is aware of that, in fact you are in the small number of individuals who is blinded by the shiny object that pomo is.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I believe Maurice is probably better than most coaches at not being an abusive ass to his players. Then again, he's made some strange roster moves that look a bit like "being a dick just because" - not taking the young Finns to Finland, not playing Heinola in the HC, etc. Maybe it's just Finns...?

Is Finn-washing a thing? I mean, outside of Sweden?

Sounds like he had his Damascus moment a year and a half ago. I think it will be harder and harder for blowhard (and worse) coaches to ply their trade. When I think of the coaches I played the hardest for, none of them were the hard-asses who went out of their way to haze/belittle/tough-love us, and I'd say that's become more and more general across coaching as levels of education and awareness improve.

Reactions: Gm0ney

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Hellloooo! the only reason this team is in the spot where they are now is because of hellybuck despite pomo's coaching(putting copp on the number 1 pp..seriously)..everyone concedes that point, even all the media is aware of that, in fact you are in the small number of individuals who is blinded by the shiny object that pomo is.

Anyone with some common sense would realise for a team as depleted as ours to have a winning record, goaltending would need to be well above average; but spare me with your hyperbolic nonsense of “everyone concedes that point”, that the “only” reason is goaltending.

They dont. Many have praised Maurice openly over the past month.

Acting as though your opinion represents some consensus is funny. No one is conceding anything, we are getting great goaltending and Maurice has been getting the most out of a roster ravished (in a negative way :D) by injury and bad circumstances.

Last edited by a moderator:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Jets are 7-2-0 after Pomo was forced into situation and did the obvious.

Wonder what would happened if he had acted earlier.
Putting Wheeler at center wasn't the obvious decision. Most on here are on record has having Rosie centering the 2nd line. Most also appear to want Ehlers above Connor on the first. Most also want other choices made on who should be playing defence. I don't see anything as obvious.

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
Putting Wheeler at center wasn't the obvious decision. Most on here are on record has having Rosie centering the 2nd line. Most also appear to want Ehlers above Connor on the first. Most also want other choices made on who should be playing defence. I don't see anything as obvious.

Only thing obvious is that we in fact do have a good HC. At least until our next loss where his detractors will run him over.

Far better HC than somebody like, I dunno, Ralph "Freddie" Krueger.

Reactions: rednivlab

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I think coach is a good coach.

But a great coach, make adjustments before he is force into situation. anticipate.
Not make adjustments after he is force into situation.

I have to give credit to Maurice the way he has these guys playing, but I do agree that this could have been done as early as last year.

Long story short, I appreciate what he is doing now and the way he has the team working together, but my criticism is that he doesn't move quick enough in a league that is turning on a dime these days.

Whatever, I'm happy where we are now :)

Reactions: Jets 31

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

I was one who wanted Roslovic at C over Wheeler and KC switched with Ehlers. I also wanted Heinola to stay.

I have no problem eating crow now that the lines are gaining chemistry as Maurice is running them. I don't mind being wrong if the team is winning and playing entertaining hockey like this :)

I'd still like to see Heinola playing, but I would probably be wrong about that too :)

However we got the shakeup in lines, I'm happy with the results.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
I think our PP will get better , we have too much talent for it not to and when it does pick up that will give Helly some slack . We will have a better 4th line , PP and PK when Little gets back .

Jets31 posted this on Tuesday.

I'm reading it on Thursday morning and am astounded at how well it described our PP and 4th line in Wednesday night's game.

This guy must have some crystal balls.

(Uh… that didn't come out the way I meant it to... )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad