Coach Discussion: All Purpose Coaching Thread Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
A lateral move might be a good thing if the coaches philosophy more closly aligns with the composition of the roster. That is what Dubois is attempting to do with the Keefe hiring.

I like the current effort but am not a big fan of the overall strategic direction of the team.

Yup that’s a fair comment......but of course new coach brings new quirks. Haha

When Babcock was hired he was pretty much universally recognized as top 3 coach in the world if the not the best coach in the world with success in the NHL & International play. The day he was hired I said that Leaf nation would chase him out of town in 3-4 years......pretty close to being bang on. My point is coaches are hired to be fired regardless of their historical successes........they have a limited shelf life. It’s unclear imo if PMO has reached that point or not......we shall see this summer or sooner.

Reactions: surixon and Duke749

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I'll be honest in that I don't know enough about coach's 'systems' etc. The thing that makes me wonder about Maurice's ability to coach is our special teams (which may not even be him, but I'm sure he could change them if he wanted). The PP in particular for the past 12 months or so.... I just don't get it. If we need goals, then put out the very best players that give you the very best chance to score, and if you have to or if you can, just leave them out there for two minutes.

To me, sports is all about playing the players in a way that gets wins. That's it. Just do what you need to do to win.

So other than this, we seem to be playing more of a rush style of game that I think suits the roster better. But again, what do I know compared to someone on the team, hearing the instructions, experiencing the 'room'.

Reactions: HHel and Psych0dad

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
The day after any coach is hired he is one day closer to being fired. Gone are the days of teams seemingly having one coach till said coach dies or retires.

If the Jets reel off 20 wins in a row it is in spite of PoMo.
If they lose 2 games in a row he is the worst coach who ever lived.

He has won the big game or more correctly stated the players on the ice did.

I asked before and got no answer so I'll ask again.
Can someone find me a team that has had as close as possible as a situation as the Jets have been in and what the coaches/team record was for that season vis a vis the previous season.

Fully 4 of the 6 D we ended the season with last season are not or had not been in the lineup.

This is in large part because we have drafted incredibly well and been successful for it. Oh yeah almost forgot- in spit of our terrible HC.

Trouba who was never going to sign here.
Good riddance. We did good in the trade.

Myers - not worth the money he's being paid now.

Chiarot- ditto

Buff- yeah people still refuse to acknowledge the fact that what he did has virtually hamstrung us more than anything else.

The spate of injuries to other D and forwards.

The fact we had two very high profile UFA's to sign up front.

We are in essence missing an entire line up front, forcing us to play in effective players in those roles.
And those pining for Spacek or dr. Seuss of chibisov who has been horrible btw you have no imperial evidence they would be any better and while the team was winning, why make changes.
We couldn't sign Tanev up front, ridiculous contract for him imo Hayes sucks and some of our stars simply aren't cutting it this season.
It happens , but all of it falls at the feet of the coach despite the fact he's not out on the ice making bonehead plays.

Babcock is supposed yo be a great coach and yet on a team that an argument could easi,y be made has more talent than the Jets, they suck.
Why. Not always the coaches fault.

I'd rather have PoMo as coach of the Jets nect season than I would O'Shea as coach of the Bombers.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Pretty sure Kompon runs the PP unless someone knows otherwise.

;)
It still comes back to the head coach. It does not matter who runs the PP ... the coach has the final say.
The Canucks scored 5 PP goals on the Preds the other night.
How?
There was always one and sometimes 2 guys in front of the crease blocking Rinnie's vision.
Seriously how hard is it to figure out ... screen the goalie and your chances of scoring go way up.
That's old school PP ... I though Maurice was old school or is it the Jets don't have a player like Neal who is not afraid to stand in front of the net.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
It still comes back to the head coach. It does not matter who runs the PP ... the coach has the final say.
The Canucks scored 5 PP goals on the Preds the other night.
How?
There was always one and sometimes 2 guys in front of the crease blocking Rinnie's vision.
Seriously how hard is it to figure out ... screen the goalie and your chances of scoring go way up.
That's old school PP ... I though Maurice was old school or is it the Jets don't have a player like Neal who is not afraid to stand in front of the net.
Yet we try Copp on the pp who iswilling to stand in front of the goalie and ppl ask why is Copp on the pp.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yes, that is what I thought. I'm sure Maurice could suggest that he change it. Regardless, whoever it is needs to have their head examined :)

As head coach Maurice is responsible for all aspects of the system. If he has delegated a task to someon but the the system is failing then he is ultimately responsible for intervening to correct.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
As head coach Maurice is responsible for all aspects of the system. If he has delegated a task to someon but the the system is failing then he is ultimately responsible for intervening to correct.
Yep but if he is responsible for the pp he’s also responsible for getting the most out of Helly.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Coaches generally get fired if the team performs below expectations.

Given what we are dealing with on our defensive roster and fourth line, I think most/all reasonable posters would say the Jets are exceeding expectations.

I still see plenty of fight with this team. We fight back regularly from goal deficits. We don’t get mired in long losing streaks.

When a team underperforms...yeah, a lot of upside in making a switch. Less so with a team that plays/fights hard.

I like Boudreau (who doesn’t want to pinch his cheeks) and I would consider a coaching change... only if the Jets play does actually tank for an extended period this year.

I know many half-fans hope the Jets tank so Maurice is more likely to be fired but I like to see players and coaches excel, and will only react negatively when poor performance merits it.
I don't think this team has been playing up to its potential for over a year.

In 2017-18 they were Top 10 across the board in the shot metrics, got solid goaltending and went to the Conference Finals.

Last year and so far this year they're in the bottom half in all the shot metrics.

But forget the shot metrics - this team was visibly dominant in 2017-18. Last year and this, they're just not the same at all...can't break out, can't sustain pressure, can't generate anything in close, powerplay sucks, penalty kill sucks...

I don't need to wait until the other shoe drops and the team sinks out of the playoffs...I've seen enough. The time has come.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

In 2017-18 they were Top 10 across the board in the shot metrics, got solid goaltending and went to the Conference Finals.

Last year and so far this year they're in the bottom half in all the shot metrics.

But forget the shot metrics - this team was visibly dominant in 2017-18. Last year and this, they're just not the same at all...can't break out, can't sustain pressure, can't generate anything in close, powerplay sucks, penalty kill sucks...

I don't need to wait until the other shoe drops and the team sinks out of the playoffs...I've seen enough. The time has come.
Last year and this year are very different teams. If you think this team has the same potential and should be playing at the same level minus Buff and Trouba... yeah they might not make the playoffs other teams in our division Colorado, Dallas also improved drastically.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Last year and this year are very different teams. If you think this team has the same potential and should be playing at the same level minus Buff and Trouba... yeah they might not make the playoffs other teams in our division Colorado, Dallas also improved drastically.
Yes last year's team had more talent and did poorly: 48.02 xGF% - 11th worst
This year's team has less talent and is doing even worse: 43.61 xGF% - 2nd worst

Only the shitawful Rags are below the Jets this year.

So, in summary, I was expecting more from last years team. I'm not sure what the level of this year's team is, but I'm fairly certain it's better than a hair above the worst team in the league. The Jets aren't overperforming, that's for sure. Try the Sens or Kings, maybe.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016

For this year, what role do you think the massive changes to the defence unit (and injuries) plays into a lot of this?

For the Power Play, pretty sure that’s under Kompon. Yes, the PP isn’t as efficient. People complained that our old unit was stale and he broke it up into two units. Each unit looked dynamite initially. Yep, still some tinkering to be done.

Penalty Kill unit was obviously dreadful to start the year but it has rebounded quite nicely (something like 85% after our first miserable 10 days).

Last year, clearly there were some locker room issues. Maurice went to Finland to deal with our head case sharp shooter. Seemed to have worked, at least initially. Team is “scrappy”, as people now say, and they fight when down and do not remotely look like a team that is mailing it in and given up on the coach.

Honestly, expectations for this team was likely to miss the playoffs. We’re doing better than expected. Frankly, I am more about results than underlying, “predictive” statistics.

We’re obviously not canning Maurice any time soon so we will have a few months of additional results to chew on for this consideration.

cheers.

Reactions: Stumbledore

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I think the team was great in 2017-18. They really were not good enough in 2018-19 and massively underachieved. This season the team as constructed is not that good and the worst of the three teams on paper by a significant margin. This years D core was ravaged with departures and The LOA and that is before injuries. Glad our goalie is standing in his head.

Less patient teams would have removed the coach after last season but Maurice will not be fired after this season unless the team quits on him.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Didn't Wheeler came out almost to the effect the team quit in game 6?

Or didn't show up? Something like that...
Not much he could say. It was a weird game and very uncharacteristic, even for that series where they carried a lot of the play over 6 games.

I think the work ethic of the Jets has been consistently pretty good under Maurice. That's an important consideration. Its not like they collapsed like Cooper's team did in the playoffs.

Reactions: ps241

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think the team was great in 2017-18. They really were not good enough in 2018-19 and massively underachieved. This season the team as constructed is not that good and the worst of the three teams on paper by a significant margin. This years D core was ravaged with departures and The LOA and that is before injuries. Glad our goalie is standing in his head.

Less patient teams would have removed the coach after last season but Maurice will not be fired after this season unless the team quits on him.
Agreed about Maurice getting the season to see how it all plays out and if he can get this team to the playoffs. I also think once the Buff situation is resolved Chevy will go out and do what he can to fill gaps in the roster to give the team and Maurice the best chance at success. I know people seem to want this team and Maurice to fail, I just don't think the organization is thinking along those lines.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Didn't Wheeler came out almost to the effect the team quit in game 6?

Or didn't show up? Something like that...
I remember that game clearly. It was an incredibly lackluster effort for that time of year. They showed no killer instinct at all.

Good article in the athletic today, talking about how Schiefele is taking over leadership at practices especially regarding the younger players. Sounds like he is turning a corner leadership wise and taking matters into his own hands.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Agreed about Maurice getting the season to see how it all plays out and if he can get this team to the playoffs. I also think once the Buff situation is resolved Chevy will go out and do what he can to fill gaps in the roster to give the team and Maurice the best chance at success. I know people seem to want this team and Maurice to fail, I just don't think the organization is thinking along those lines.

I certainly hope not. Even with all of the holes in the roster, there is too much talent here to give up hope of a good playoff run. I hope management
Doesn’t give up nor the players.

I’m very optimistic that we can make the playoffs, then anything cAn happen.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
This may have already been posted, but The Athletic recently ran a story about PoMo's relationship with a Jets fan who had a terminal illness. It's a lovely piece, and gives some insight into the kindness and thoughtfulness of the man behind the bench.

Paul Maurice's friendship with a young Jets fan lasted less...

As head coach of the Winnipeg Jets, Maurice receives a number of requests for his time. Winnipeg’s True North Youth Foundation is active in Winnipeg schools, hospitals, and summer camps. Maurice regularly participates in these programs, partly because of a responsibility he feels based on his position with the Jets.

“But this one was outside the team,” says Maurice. “A friend from outside the organization contacted me and I just felt I should do this. I don’t do nearly as much as I could — you could turn it into another full time job if you wanted — but I felt that I should.”

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Like the most he got the most out of helly last season and the playoff's!
They lost to the eventual champs what more do you want? All goalies save % went down.
The pp was also good last year so Mo was doing that right.

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
Depends on your POV.

Does the coach get criticized for when the team does poorly and lose? If yes, then he should get some credit when the team is doing well and winning.

Does the coach get/team get criticized when they get goalied? If yes, then the coach/team shouldn’t get criticized when our goalie who is a main/critical part of the team is playing well.

Is a goalies sv% affected positively/negatively by the defensive systems that the coach puts into place/runs? If yes even slightly then the coach deserves some, even if it’s a small amount, credit for a goalies success/failure.

Does any team go 82-0 while playing their A game every night? If no, then a teams record is made up from its average performances over the entire year which is a large sample size. Contained within that sample is wins where we dominated & goalied teams and Contained within that sample is loses where we sucked and got goalied despite being the better team.

Is PMO a perfect coach? No

Is there any perfect coach out there? No

Do all coaches have stubborn tendencies at times that drive players & fans crazy at times? Heck yeh, literally go read every single fan form & GDT. Fans complaining about coach’s is almost as common as fans complaining about ref calls.

Would I like the Jets to hold off on a PMO extension until the off season to evaluate his work and options out there? Heck yes

Do I feel there is a bunch/long list of coaches out there that are automatically better then PMO? No

I wouldn't be so sure of that......

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Even though i don't mind Maurice i can't wait for this next coach that's gonna take us straight to the Stanley Cup right away because it's apparently super easy if you have half a brain . :naughty:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

This team won't quit on him - half the defense literally owes him their NHL livelihood.
For this year, what role do you think the massive changes to the defence unit (and injuries) plays into a lot of this?

For the Power Play, pretty sure that’s under Kompon. Yes, the PP isn’t as efficient. People complained that our old unit was stale and he broke it up into two units. Each unit looked dynamite initially. Yep, still some tinkering to be done.

Penalty Kill unit was obviously dreadful to start the year but it has rebounded quite nicely (something like 85% after our first miserable 10 days).

Last year, clearly there were some locker room issues. Maurice went to Finland to deal with our head case sharp shooter. Seemed to have worked, at least initially. Team is “scrappy”, as people now say, and they fight when down and do not remotely look like a team that is mailing it in and given up on the coach.

Honestly, expectations for this team was likely to miss the playoffs. We’re doing better than expected. Frankly, I am more about results than underlying, “predictive” statistics.

We’re obviously not canning Maurice any time soon so we will have a few months of additional results to chew on for this consideration.

cheers.
This looks like a team that is playing about the same as last year's but with less talent.

I'm fine with firing all the assistants, if that's what it takes... :laugh: The powerplay is a disaster. It shouldn't take them this long to figure out it's not working. The PK is getting better results, which is nice to see - but there was only one way to go from where they started the season. The PK is still outperforming expectations by a couple of goals over the last 10 games, but they're giving up a lot less so I'll take it.

As far as effort and scrappiness - well a bunch of guys on this team would literally have no job in the NHL if it weren't for the Jets, so they're going to toe the line and give it 100%. Also, splitting Wheeler and Scheifele has led to a better division of labour among the Top 3 lines - which is essential when the 4th line only plays 4 minutes a night. Maybe when Appleton is back they can get back to playing 6 minutes a night...keep in mind, playing with a short bench and riding the top line into the ground all the time has been a Maurice trademark since he got here. Even with 3 lines getting over 90% of the ice time, the underlying numbers still suck hard. TGI Hellebucyk...

Reactions: JetsUK
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad