Coach Discussion: All-purpose Coach discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Fluery was their backup. Bro is our backup. Fluery put up subpar numbers all season. He put up a .909 SV% that year. We really need to stop pretending what he did was predictable. It wasn’t.
A back up who had over 10 seasons of starting goaltending experience, and put up .920 and .921 in the two seasons before.

Murray stole Fleury's job in a season Fleury had a .920 save percentage, would that ever happen with Maurice as the coach?

thegr8one66

Mar 22, 2010
Winnipeg
A 36 year old Selanne that was coming off a 48 goal, 94 point season. And a 21 year old Getzlaf and Perry that were one and two in playoff scoring, while Selanne was 3rd, on their team and all 3 top 10 among all teams.

Come on dude. You also convincingly leave off two of the best defencemen of the era in Pronger and Neidermeyer.

I left them off because I agree, those two are a good argument for a strong roster. The others, not so much.

They got as far as they did because Carlyle implemented a system that was a strength for that roster.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I left them off because I agree, those two are a good argument for a strong roster. The others, not so much.

They got as far as they did because Carlyle implemented a system that was a strength for that roster.

No they got as far as they did because they were stacked as hell. A worm tied to a string living out it's final days underwater in a plastic cup could have coached that team to a Cup.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
A back up who had over 10 seasons of starting goaltending experience, and put up .920 and .921 in the two seasons before.

Murray stole Fleury's job in a season Fleury had a .920 save percentage, would that ever happen with Maurice as the coach?

I don't know would it? The only way we can ever know is if we have two Vezina calibre goalies on the team at the same time. But I'm pretty sure Fleury had some wicked bad games that year too.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Well not directly, but how often does he change things when they are going generally well? How often does he go back to the tried and true guy (Fleury) instead of the younger up and coming guy (Murray). Yes I realize that in this case Murray was already a cup winner, but how did Murray get the job in the first place? Would Paul ever bench someone who has proven to give good performances for someone who is young and up and coming ? Fleury was .921 and .920 in the two seasons before Murray took the job.

We have never been in that situation with Maurice so stating what could happen can be neither proven or disproven. We can only argue which then biases come out.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Fluery actually gave up 4 or 5 goals in 5 of his 15 starts that year. His playoffs screams inconsistent that year.

Yeah it was a decision that I would have easily made. And even thought at the time, watch Pittsburgh take this series now with a completely rested Murray.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
I don't know would it? The only way we can ever know is if we have two Vezina calibre goalies on the team at the same time. But I'm pretty sure Fleury had some wicked bad games that year too.

We have never been in that situation with Maurice so stating what could happen can be neither proven or disproven. We can only argue which then biases come out.
Fair enough. I think Maurice's tendencies for favouring veterans and keeping the status quo are enough evidence to make an educated guess, but it can never be proven.

I just want to add that I don't think Maurice is a bad coach or that the players are blameless, I just think coaches do have an impact on results and that this team is clearly underpeforming. You know the saying, 'can't trade all of the players'. If a change needs to be made it is usually the coach first.

Reactions: Mbraunm

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Fair enough. I think Maurice's tendencies for favouring veterans and keeping the status quo are enough evidence to make an educated guess, but it can never be proven.

I just want to add that I don't think Maurice is a bad coach or that the players are blameless, I just think coaches do have an impact on results and that this team is clearly underpeforming. You know the saying, 'can't trade all of the players'. If a change needs to be made it is usually the coach first.

I'm just not sure a coaching change will solve anything. Especially if there is a divide in that room. Sometimes we just have to move on from players when the writing is on the wall. Like the E.Kane situation. You let it fester for to long and then the players take matters into their own hands. I hope if there is another issue boiling that Chevy deals with it before it blows up again. Next time it might not work out in his favour like it did the last time.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

We really don’t have that many vets though. It’s clearly overstated. Perhaps just insert Wheeler and Scheif and yeh I think just about everyone agrees.

thegr8one66

Mar 22, 2010
Winnipeg
A 36 year old Selanne that was coming off a 48 goal, 94 point season. And a 21 year old Getzlaf and Perry that were one and two in playoff scoring, while Selanne was 3rd, on their team and all 3 top 10 among all teams.

Come on dude. You also convincingly leave off two of the best defencemen of the era in Pronger and Neidermeyer.

You're right...I forgot to mention the Selanne 94 point season. That's another great thing Carlyle did. He jump-started Selanne (who was coming off healthy-scratches in SJ and COL).

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014

Lol, nice vague catch all response. It was the players, like all great teams. The Jets had a system that was a strength for their roster last season, the roster has changed very little, other than a number of them not performing very well.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
You're right...I forgot to mention the Selanne 94 point season. That's another great thing Carlyle did. He jump-started Selanne (who was coming off healthy-scratches in SJ and COL).

:laugh: Now you're really reaching. Yeah I'm sure Carlyle was right there on the ice guiding Selanne's goals into the net like the magic man he is.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
:laugh: Now you're really reaching. Yeah I'm sure Carlyle was right there on the ice guiding Selanne's goals into the net like the magic man he is.
Because you know if Carlyle knows one thing, its scoring goals :laugh:

thegr8one66

Mar 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Lol, nice vague catch all response. It was the players, like all great teams. The Jets had a system that was a strength for their roster last season, the roster has changed very little, other than a number of them not performing very well.

Exactly! The Jets did have a system that was a strength for their roster during the regular season. And then the coach couldn't adapt, Vegas did, and we lost.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
If coaches have no impact then why have them let alone pay them crazy sums of money. I get it, their actual impact is likely overstated a bit but some on here seem to think they make very little difference. Yes it is the players who ultimately play on the ice but much like a conductor conducting a symphony the coach needs assemble the pieces he has together and provide direction and guidance. He needs to make sure the parts are working optimally together.

In the end I think the team is feeling the pressure of the expectations and is wilting under them which is leading to them over thinking things and trying to take short cuts. On the flip side Maurice has done very little to get things on track. He's doubled down on his bad habits and has proceeded to ride our vets too hard despite poor results.

If we flame out early next year will be telling. Is it a team that had to suffer a hard lesson to really take the next step or is the roster not quite as good as expected. This applies to Maurice as Well, does he learn and grow or does he continue to coach the same way with the same biases.

As far as a potential coach, I have been beating the Sheldon Keefe drum for a while now. He's a real good young and up and coming progressive coach with a terrific track record. He also coaches a very up tempo offensive system which fits the roster.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Exactly! The Jets did have a system that was a strength for their roster during the regular season. And then the coach couldn't adapt, Vegas did, and we lost.

Literally nothing has changed except we added better new players to the mix and the players aren't executing.

Reactions: Ducky10
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad