Prospect Info: All-Purpose Caps 2016 NHL Draft Thread

PucksInDeep

Oct 1, 2014
Obviously I don't think there's any significant chance that we can get Laine. BUT... we would have the pieces to make a deal happen, IMO.

With the 2016 1st, 2017 1st, Vrana, Bowey, Samsonov, Carrick, Barber, Vanecek, etc. I think you could combined some of those pieces to make a deal for Laine. Just something to think about! :laugh:

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
And what if the day before the draft, Laine says : "I just want to play for the Capitals, and I don't want to be drafted in the TOP 5 (or by the others teams)" :laugh: :yo: :sarcasm:

hockeyfan88

Dec 14, 2015
Kieffer Bellows (C) - USDP - USA
HEIGHT 185 cm / 6'1" WEIGHT 88 kg / 194 lbs

Kieffer Bellows is a skilled power forward that can dominate games. Possesses high end puckhandling ability as well as a crisp, accurate release on his shot. Proficient forechecker and loves to win puck battles, which stands out as a consistent part of his game. Strong skater that can bull through the opposition or go around them. Drives the net hard and is a decisive finisher. All-in-all, a competitor that punishes the opposition physically, as well as on the scoreboard. (Curtis Joe, EP 2016) - See more at: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=247945#sthash.UdxJRjyt.dpuf
This guy looks like the perfect fit for Trotz system. That kind of player with Chimmy and Wilson laying hits and forechecking? :yo:

billcook

Apr 17, 2012
I would trade anything for Laine, the only real blue chipper we have is Samsonov. The rest is either above average (Barber, Stephenson, Carrick) good (Sieg, Vanecek, Bowey) or very good (Vrana) and no one great.

Then again I understand that completely gutting your prospect pool is likely very bad move in mid range especially for contender. I would love to take this risk for Laine, though. :laugh:

hockeyfan88

Dec 14, 2015
HF released their new prospect team rankings. Caps are #20:

20. Washington Capitals (13)

Strengths: The Washington Capitals have a few standouts prospects left, but that type of talent is limited. The top end includes the explosive defensemen Madison Bowey and Connor Carrick, talented KHL goaltender Ilya Samsonov, and shifty winger Jakub Vrana. Aside from Carrick, each of these players could be considered on a “Best of” list of prospects at each position in the world right now.

Weaknesses: The Capitals still have some standouts, but the shine has definitely worn off of the overall pool as players like Evgeny Kuznetsov and Andre Burakovsky have graduated to the NHL. They have some big names at the very top, but that is where it ends. Everything else with the Capitals is pretty ho-hum. Washington also suffers from the unique problem of having the least number of “prospects” by HF’s standards. With no real center or left wing depth, and a wealth of mid- to lower-tier depth prospects making up most of their picks, there is no question that the team’s prospect depth has slipped overall.

Top 5 Prospects: 1. Madison Bowey, D; 2. Ilya Samsonov, G; 3. Jakub Vrana, RW; 4. Riley Barber, C/W; 5. Connor Carrick, D
Key Additions: Ilya Samsonov (Draft), Jonas Siegenthaler (Draft),
Key Losses: Evgeny Kuznetsov (Graduation), Andre Burakovsky (Graduation), Nate Schmidt (Graduation)
Spot on, I would say. When I see how shallow the Caps are in the pipelines, it makes me a little nervous to trade our 1st round pick this year.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
I see the Caps trading their first for a guy like Hamhuis + another piece or another veteran d-man that can be a calming presence back there, as well as dumping Laich on that team.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I've read Abramov could be a very special talent. Who needs to trade for Drouin when you can draft another stud with 30th pick?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Not really...but really.

I like the top 20 in this draft but the options after that (at least at this point) wouldn't make me regret the idea of moving the pick. Rubtsov at 6 in the Euro rankings gives me a bit of hope he could possibly fall but I expect he'll go top 15-20. He should. Maybe in time they could coach up Clague or Krys and a guy like Asplund could be a versatile forward option down the line. Overall I'd probably be looking to move up should they keep it. There's still plenty of time for guys to step up but relative to most years there aren't that many options I might covet beyond the top 20. Some of those top 20 guys could fall but...eh.

I'm less eager to move the pick for a rental but if they can move Laich and add a useful player for the next couple seasons by including the pick I don't think it's a terrible idea (even if I'm not terribly high on Vrana & Bowey at the top of the pipeline).

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Considering the pick will be number 30....just deal it already. :)

With how well the team is doing this is definitely the year where I cam completely fine if it gets traded. Even if they somehow keep it they'll probably do something annoying like trading back into the 2nd round or something, heh.

PucksInDeep

Oct 1, 2014
Considering the pick will be number 30....just deal it already. :)

Carlson was 27th overall

Kuznetsov was 26th overall

Johansson was 24th overall

Burakovsky and Varlamov were 23rd overall

I'd rather the Caps take their chances, even at 30 :laugh:

Johannes de Silentio

Aug 6, 2015
Washington, D.C.
Are there any generally accepted explanations for why the Caps tend to draft more European players and seem to have good success with both getting them over and how they perform in the NHL?

I must admit my first instinct is to hope for them to snag some super talented Russian or Swede or even a Finn in this draft.

PucksInDeep

Oct 1, 2014
Are there any generally accepted explanations for why the Caps tend to draft more European players and seem to have good success with both getting them over and how they perform in the NHL?

I must admit my first instinct is to hope for them to snag some super talented Russian or Swede or even a Finn in this draft.

"Best player available."

Maybe Ovechkin helps with getting the Russians over. I don't feel like "getting them over" is an issue with Swedes, etc.

I would love for the Caps to draft a Finn (finally)!

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Remember the day Burakovsky was drafted?

Who?! - said this forum.
Bura was known. Heck, he started the year with some top 10 consideration.

For now the closest to a Bura out there have some significant size limitations (DeBrincat & Abramov). If they were leery of Konecny & Merkley last year they should be leery of those two. There will be decent options but I'm not bowled over by the total packages or sheer upside of likely options beyond the top 20-24 at this point. Someone could fall or, if nothing else, keeping the pick could allow them to move up but overall I don't think it's a tremendous draft class at this point.

For now IMO the #1 organizational imperative should be upgrading the current roster and shedding Laich's contract. That's the route to best position themselves for their two year window. Everything beyond that should be secondary. While they will need cheap players in the years to come, winning a Cup is a strong recruitment tool that would help on all levels of free agency.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Bura was known. Heck, he started the year with some top 10 consideration.

For now the closest to a Bura out there have some significant size limitations (DeBrincat & Abramov). If they were leery of Konecny & Merkley last year they should be leery of those two. There will be decent options but I'm not bowled over by the total packages or sheer upside of likely options beyond the top 20-24 at this point. Someone could fall or, if nothing else, keeping the pick could allow them to move up but overall I don't think it's a tremendous draft class at this point.

For now IMO the #1 organizational imperative should be upgrading the current roster and shedding Laich's contract. That's the route to best position themselves for their two year window. Everything beyond that should be secondary. While they will need cheap players in the years to come, winning a Cup is a strong recruitment tool that would help on all levels of free agency.

This.

Just look at the young guys Blackhawks have been able to bring in without any compensation at all in the recent years. Capitals can live without their 1st round pick, especially considering that they still have one of the youngest teams in the NHL, and no major UFA's in the summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad