OT: All Non-Hockey Sports Talk (2015-17 edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
They have a winning base to build around. Their hitting and defense is playoff caliber. Gordon, Stanton, Yellich, Ozuna and Bour are a core to build around.

The problem is our pitching is minor league caliber.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Don't know how many of my fellow Finns here follow Finnish baseball, but that battle between Kempele and Kankaanpää for a spot at the top league and who gets relegated (though KaMa still has to play a qualification series against a top seeded team from the 2nd tier league, so they're not in the clear yet) was probably the most intense game I've seen during my lifetime. Funny that a match between the last and second to last team can be more entertaining than the finals, I guess that speaks to how meh those have been for two decades now with Sotkamo winning almost every year.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Bad trade for Boston. Cleveland clearly wins this deal.

Crowder is a huge add for Cleveland and that Brooklyn pick is 95.99% top 3-5.

If I'm cleveland, i flip that pick and package Love and Thompson to weed away Anthony Davis.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008

If I'm cleveland, i flip that pick and package Love and Thompson to weed away Anthony Davis.

Some major retooling for the Celtics.

Hopefully, they fail miserably. lol

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ

If Cleveland is going to build around Thomas, assuming LeBron leaves next summer, then I do not see it as a huge win. Thomas is going to want max money next summer, and while a top 5 pick helps, after LeBron leaves, they will be nowhere near the level that they are now.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
If Cleveland is going to build around Thomas, assuming LeBron leaves next summer, then I do not see it as a huge win. Thomas is going to want max money next summer, and while a top 5 pick helps, after LeBron leaves, they will be nowhere near the level that they are now.

If LeBron leaves, you do not sign IT.

Hell, if it doesnt work, you let him walk. He is an expiring contract.

The prizes here are the pick and Crowder, which is essentially a potentially good player and depth.

Lebron leaves, you build around the pick.

Having said all that, I think that pick is getting flipped. Hell, a package of IT + that pick could get you something.

I doubt Cleveland is done. You cannot run a team with Rose and IT on the roster in my opinion. You just dont.

Last edited:

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Some major retooling for the Celtics.

Hopefully, they fail miserably. lol

I honestly dont understand what they are doing.

They already lost Avery Bradley. Now they have lost Jae Crowder and those 2 were their best perimeter defenders besides Marcus Smart (who can only defend 1s and 2s).

Crowder was able to body up 3's and 4's. Hayward was protected by Gobert.

They are going to have to be VERY OFFENSIVE to be successful, and I dont think they are equipped for that. They are SEVERELY lacking at SG

Looking at their roster, their Starting 5 might be:
Irving
Smart (This would be a PG-PG combo)
Hayward
Morris? (They are lacking at the PF position too btw)
Horford

They have Tatum, Hayward, and Jaylen Brown all at the SF and are not a good fit at the Shooting Guard position.

I liked them getting Hayward.

I hate this trade for them. Admittedly, I am higher on Crowder than most, but still, losing Avery Bradley left a hole they have not filled.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Man, Stanton is having some season. You finally get to see what he can do healthy, and in his prime. 48 homers, 102 RBIs, .288 average, along with the third best OPS in the NL. I know his massive yearly salary is coming up, but do you really want to give up on arguably the best OF in baseball?

Edit: Make that 49 homers!

Last edited:

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
Anyone here watching the Mayweather & McGregor Circus? I'm putting $50 on Conor.

I have to watch it so I can record it. Once that bell rings I think I'm going to see Connor get beaten like a circus monkey. It may go two rounds but I think Floyd will put Connor down fast. An amateur boxer at best vs arguably the GOAT?

Well, at least he's getting paid.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
^Yup. No bets but I think Connor surprises and paces himself for 12 rounds and forces Mayweather off the ropes to fight him.

Cub Swanson (one of the better boxers in the UFC) who trains with middle tier pro boxers thinks Connor should use his overhand right to set up the left hook. He said pro boxers aren't used to seeing punches coming over the top and he found that it was easier to hit them and set up his combinations.

On paper it's a joke but your have to respect the old saying that he has a punchers chance albeit wishful thinking. :)

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
^Yup. No bets but I think Connor surprises and paces himself for 12 rounds and forces Mayweather off the ropes to fight him.

Cub Swanson (one of the better boxers in the UFC) who trains with middle tier pro boxers thinks Connor should use his overhand right to set up the left hook. He said pro boxers aren't used to seeing punches coming over the top and he found that it was easier to hit them and set up his combinations.

On paper it's a joke but your have to respect the old saying that he has a punchers chance albeit wishful thinking. :)

If Floyd demolishes Connor I think he should pay him the same respect Connor showed him by stepping into the octagon for a rematch on Connor's turf for a beat down/pay day to truly show what different sports they are.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Anyone here watching the Mayweather & McGregor Circus? I'm putting $50 on Conor.

What time do you guys think the fight will start? The night starts at 9pm EST, and there are three fights before the main event. Im thinking the fight probably wont start until at least midnight...no? Id like to get some opinions, because if the fight starts at around 1am, it will be 8am here. Id like to know about what time I should plan on getting up.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Their predominant stances favors the stronger counter puncher which is Conor. Both their lead hands with be gauging the distance which will play a huge role in the fight. Floyd is used to boxers who stand closer to him than Conor will.

Conor has that open karate stance and seems to bait punchers by leaning forward at a medium distance but then takes one step back as they come forward while throwing that left hook at full follow through distance. Precision and timing along with power and a bit of bullying will definitely spook Mayweather as had in the past.

All pressure is on Mayweather as well, both of them saying they will both come forward and KO each other may be all talk but the Irishman has the touch of death in that left hand. If Conor wins, it's before the 6th round, if not Mayweather outpoints a frustrated Mcgregor to a UD. McGregor never really had anything to lose but everything to gain anyways. The bigger the spotlight, the longer those multi-million dollar checks keep coming. He will come back to the UFC win or lose and then barter for an ownership stake in the company. I'm pulling hard for the guy, he takes big risks and always puts on a good show.

What time do you guys think the fight will start? The night starts at 9pm EST, and there are three fights before the main event. Im thinking the fight probably wont start until at least midnight...no? Id like to get some opinions, because if the fight starts at around 1am, it will be 8am here. Id like to know about what time I should plan on getting up.

I'd say be ready for 11:30 to midnight, probably closer to midnight since that's right around 9pm Vegas time. :cheers:

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Their predominant stances favors the stronger counter puncher which is Conor. Both their lead hands with be gauging the distance which will play a huge role in the fight. Floyd is used to boxers who stand closer to him than Conor will.

Conor has that open karate stance and seems to bait punchers by leaning forward at a medium distance but then takes one step back as they come forward while throwing that left hook at full follow through distance. Precision and timing along with power and a bit of bullying will definitely spook Mayweather as had in the past.

All pressure is on Mayweather as well, both of them saying they will both come forward and KO each other may be all talk but the Irishman has the touch of death in that left hand. If Conor wins, it's before the 6th round, if not Mayweather outpoints a frustrated Mcgregor to a UD.
Good analysis.

I'm still going to go with McGregor doing the unexpected. Mayweather is used to fighters thinking they can overpower him and I think Conor will not follow him to the ropes and will waive him to the center of the ring and force Mayweather to come to him where Conor can used that 74" reach to keep him to the outside. The crowd will boo the inaction IMO and the fight will be boring the first 6 rounds.

The next 6 rounds Mayweather will look to dominate the action with an aggressive offense. The 7th, 8th, and 9th will be the only window Conor has to knock him out. He should throw the looping right overhand or uppercut and if he connects he should follow up with a stiff power straight left or hook to take him out. If that doesn't happen then he is toast where he will get beat up so bad that he won't answer the bell in one of the rounds or it will be a lopsided decision.

Whatever happens, I just luv all the hype. :)

Last edited:

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
Good analysis.

I'm still going to go with McGregor doing the unexpected. Mayweather is used to fighters thinking they can overpower him and I think Conor will not follow him to the ropes and will waive him to the center of the ring and force Mayweather to come to him where Conor can used that 74" reach to keep him to the outside. The crowd will boo the inaction IMO and the fight will be boring the first 6 rounds.

The next 6 rounds Mayweather will look to dominate the action with an aggressive offense. The 7th, 8th, and 9th will be the only window Conor has to knock him out. He should throw the looping overhand rights and if he connects he should follow up with a stiff power straight left or hook to take him out. If that doesn't happen then he is toast where he will get beat up so bad that he won't answer the bell in one of the rounds or it will be a lopsided decision.

Whatever happens, I just luv all the hype. :)

It's all hype imo. That said, I'm buying into the show too. I just can't see anything but Win 50 happening for Mayweather. The guy has faced bomb droppers before. Shane Mosley, Canello Alvarez, Oscar De La Hoya, Arturo Gatti, Zab Judah, Ricky Hatton to name a few. It won't be Connor setting traps in that ring it will be Floyd. I seriously don't think it's going to that point though. I hope for a good fight and I see something special but I'm not holding my breath. I do hope you all enjoy your fight night though!!!

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
It's all hype imo. That said, I'm buying into the show too. I just can't see anything but Win 50 happening for Mayweather. The guy has faced bomb droppers before. Shane Mosley, Canello Alvarez, Oscar De La Hoya, Arturo Gatti, Zab Judah, Ricky Hatton to name a few. It won't be Connor setting traps in that ring it will be Floyd. I seriously don't think it's going to that point though. I hope for a good fight and I see something special but I'm not holding my breath. I do hope you all enjoy your fight night though!!!
Mayweather is in his element and even though he hasn't fought in 2 years, he is and should be the heavy favorite. This is what makes any type of fight whether MMA or Boxing interesting because there is always an outside chance that the favorite will make a mistake or that he hasn't taken his training seriously.

Easy money is the Mayweather mantra. We shall see if the 2 yrs off, not taking McGregor seriously or just the fact that he is 40 will have any affect. :)

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
I don't really even care who wins, would be sweet if Connor did but I'd give it like a 1% chance unless Mayweahters age plays a factor. The bigger question for me is if the fight is going to to be a total dud. Would really suck to watch Mayweather just toy with a guy for a few rounds.

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
I don't really even care who wins, would be sweet if Connor did but I'd give it like a 1% chance unless Mayweahters age plays a factor. The bigger question for me is if the fight is going to to be a total dud. Would really suck to watch Mayweather just toy with a guy for a few rounds.

I would guess that it will be boring for most people, Mayweather is like a trap team from the late 90s.

Unless Connor pulls off a huge upset, or Mayweather actually decides to go for the knockout, it will probably be fairly boring. That being said I am still paying to watch it with my friends lol.

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009

All pressure is on Mayweather as well, both of them saying they will both come forward and KO each other may be all talk but the Irishman has the touch of death in that left hand. If Conor wins, it's before the 6th round, if not Mayweather outpoints a frustrated Mcgregor to a UD. McGregor never really had anything to lose but everything to gain anyways. The bigger the spotlight, the longer those multi-million dollar checks keep coming. He will come back to the UFC win or lose and then barter for an ownership stake in the company. I'm pulling hard for the guy, he takes big risks and always puts on a good show.

I'd say be ready for 11:30 to midnight, probably closer to midnight since that's right around 9pm Vegas time. :cheers:

Some good points but that long bladed karate stance won't work so well in boxing, there is less room to retreat, and even if Conner tries to bait him I just don't see Mayweather falling for it.

I hope I'm wrong though, I'm not rooting for the guy with domestic violence convictions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad