OT: All Non-Hockey Sports Talk (2015-17 edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
The pass rush has been lethal but the real strength of the defense is the secondary. AJ Bouye and especially Jalen Ramsey are bona fide shut down corners. Big Ben definitely isn't the same guy this year, but you certainly won't see him getting picked off 5 times at home very often. The Jags D is a legit top 5 unit.

The schedule is probably the easiest in the league going forward so it should be interesting how it plays out. We did lose to the Jets after all lol.

As for Bortles, I have absolutely no hope for the guy. He has his moments but the guy just isn't accurate and can't be trusted to make good decisions. I hope we move on next year. I think the defense and Fournette can carry us to an 8-8 or 9-7 record this year. Alot better than anything in the past 7 years.

Your Niners can easily be 4-1 or 3-2 right now lol. Some tough losses, but some of the young pieces they have on defense are impressive. It's basically year 1 of the rebuild, so hopefully the Lynch-Shanahan regime can lead yall to a quick turnaround.

Ya Ramsey is a stud in the making, just needs more game time to get to another level. Didn't even realize AJ went undrafted, both are 22 and 26 years old respectively which is great for you guys.

:laugh:, now that I look at their schedule, you got CLE, SF, CIN, LAC, IND (assuming Luck is still injured in 2weeks), and the rest aren't too scary either. I could see 10-6 if Bortles can start to complete the 5-8 yard passes to take some pressure off the run game. I agree you should look to upgrade on BB, maybe bring in Brees for some added experience or chase Cousins in free agency if my Niners don't overpay him as he may reunite with Shannahan from his earlier days.

Not too many options at QB right now but I think bringing in Brees would help mentor Bortles and show him how it's done. He may be 39 but the guy still competes and can toss the long ball. Either way I like seeing the underdogs get their chance. Hopefully they can male some moves to build up the roster and go for a playoff push.

My Niners should rebuild this year and next. If we can get Saquon Barkley at RB with the 1st or 2nd overall pick this year and possibly sign Cousins to be a stop gap, tank again next season and draft a top 5 QB we will be on our way.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Ya Ramsey is a stud in the making, just needs more game time to get to another level. Didn't even realize AJ went undrafted, both are 22 and 26 years old respectively which is great for you guys.

:laugh:, now that I look at their schedule, you got CLE, SF, CIN, LAC, IND (assuming Luck is still injured in 2weeks), and the rest aren't too scary either. I could see 10-6 if Bortles can start to complete the 5-8 yard passes to take some pressure off the run game. I agree you should look to upgrade on BB, maybe bring in Brees for some added experience or chase Cousins in free agency if my Niners don't overpay him as he may reunite with Shannahan from his earlier days.

Not too many options at QB right now but I think bringing in Brees would help mentor Bortles and show him how it's done. He may be 39 but the guy still competes and can toss the long ball. Either way I like seeing the underdogs get their chance. Hopefully they can male some moves to build up the roster and go for a playoff push.

My Niners should rebuild this year and next. If we can get Saquon Barkley at RB with the 1st or 2nd overall pick this year and possibly sign Cousins to be a stop gap, tank again next season and draft a top 5 QB we will be on our way.

As a Cowboys fan, it's not worth taking a RB that high. Look at how many burst onto the scene their rookie year, drafted in the 2nd-5th rounds.
May not have the measurables, but a lot have enough talent/vision to be great.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
As a Cowboys fan, it's not worth taking a RB that high. Look at how many burst onto the scene their rookie year, drafted in the 2nd-5th rounds.
May not have the measurables, but a lot have enough talent/vision to be great.

You hinting that Zeke was picked too high? I understand your hesitation to pick a RB that high but Barkley is by far the best at his position and reminds me of a better Frank Gore. He's 5'11, 225+ lbs and apparently a beast in the gym.

This year's draft is loaded with QB's but I'd prefer to find our true #1 RB because outside of Hyde, we don't have much.

Matt Ryan and Alex Smith are UFAs come 2019, both will be in their mid 30's but hoping we have enough space to offer them a big deal and we can fast forward the build with one of them to lead the young defense and offense. Just my dream scenario though.

I've been happy with what they've done so far in drafting so I'm fine if they do draft a QB but would prefer Barkley a bit more.

What's up with Dallas in your opinion? How do you see their season playing out barring any big time injuries to key players?

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
You hinting that Zeke was picked too high? I understand your hesitation to pick a RB that high but Barkley is by far the best at his position and reminds me of a better Frank Gore. He's 5'11, 225+ lbs and apparently a beast in the gym.

This year's draft is loaded with QB's but I'd prefer to find our true #1 RB because outside of Hyde, we don't have much.

Matt Ryan and Alex Smith are UFAs come 2019, both will be in their mid 30's but hoping we have enough space to offer them a big deal and we can fast forward the build with one of them to lead the young defense and offense. Just my dream scenario though.

I've been happy with what they've done so far in drafting so I'm fine if they do draft a QB but would prefer Barkley a bit more.

What's up with Dallas in your opinion? How do you see their season playing out barring any big time injuries to key players?

I understood the pick, in that Dallas wanted 1 more year of the SB window with Romo, and went with an instant impact player at #4. However, as it turned out, Romo got injured anyways but the Cowboys were able to post a 13-3 record due to surprisingly good play from Dak and Zeke was able to run wild behind the wall of Dallas. However, this year, behind a degraded line, Zeke is posting good, but not dominate numbers. Of course it may be due to off the field issues, affecting him mentally but I just feel the production level from a 1st round back to a day 3 back doesn't have much dropoff, if any.

Just when I see top backs around the league, you have guys like Gurley, Elliott, Fournette(soon), but then you also have guys like David Johnson, L. Bell, Freeman, Howard, Hunt(soon), Ajayi-behind that ghetto ass O-line, etc... you see plenty of guys having success that weren't taken day 1.

And I would bet, behind the 2016 Cowboys line, just about any back could of come within 10% of his stats. Murray had a great year in 2014 behind the same O-line, and he was a 3rd round pick who didn't have the explosiveness nor the speed of Elliott.

Don't get me wrong, Zeke has the talent that few RBs possess. Speed, quickness, burst, vision. He can jump over you, side step you or run you over. But value wise, when talking about picks, longevity at that position, and cap hits, I think Ramsey may of been the better long term pick.

Dallas will never be successful under Garrett/Jones IMO. Maybe I'm hitting the panic button too soon, but the defense is still bad and the offense is now showing some holes too at OL, TE, and even receiver. They are going shopping at the dollar store for FA, and still aren't great at the draft.
Could see this season being 8-8/9-7. Secondary is a work in progress, linebacker core is bad without Lee and the D-line struggles to stop the run.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I understood the pick, in that Dallas wanted 1 more year of the SB window with Romo, and went with an instant impact player at #4. However, as it turned out, Romo got injured anyways but the Cowboys were able to post a 13-3 record due to surprisingly good play from Dak and Zeke was able to run wild behind the wall of Dallas. However, this year, behind a degraded line, Zeke is posting good, but not dominate numbers. Of course it may be due to off the field issues, affecting him mentally but I just feel the production level from a 1st round back to a day 3 back doesn't have much dropoff, if any.

Just when I see top backs around the league, you have guys like Gurley, Elliott, Fournette(soon), but then you also have guys like David Johnson, L. Bell, Freeman, Howard, Hunt(soon), Ajayi-behind that ghetto ass O-line, etc... you see plenty of guys having success that weren't taken day 1.

And I would bet, behind the 2016 Cowboys line, just about any back could of come within 10% of his stats. Murray had a great year in 2014 behind the same O-line, and he was a 3rd round pick who didn't have the explosiveness nor the speed of Elliott.

Don't get me wrong, Zeke has the talent that few RBs possess. Speed, quickness, burst, vision. He can jump over you, side step you or run you over. But value wise, when talking about picks, longevity at that position, and cap hits, I think Ramsey may of been the better long term pick.

Dallas will never be successful under Garrett/Jones IMO. Maybe I'm hitting the panic button too soon, but the defense is still bad and the offense is now showing some holes too at OL, TE, and even receiver. They are going shopping at the dollar store for FA, and still aren't great at the draft.
Could see this season being 8-8/9-7. Secondary is a work in progress, linebacker core is bad without Lee and the D-line struggles to stop the run.

All good points, just like Gore was a 3rd round pick back in the day. They are suggesting Barkley is a better version of Zeke which gets me excited even more haha. I've just seen so many mid round picks do jack squat in SF outside of Gore and just felt the higher pick would produce quicker and to a higher degree. O-line is definitely a big reason for any RB's success as you stated.

Just like in any sports, you can have busts in 1st round and find late round gems.

As for Dallas, I've never been a fan of Garrett at all and seems to have a long leash but feel he could be axed soon if they don't get to the NFC championship game at minimum.
You do have a mixed schedule, some easier games on paper and some tough ones as well but outside of Philly, you guys can still win the division to help get an easier opponent come playoff time. Time will tell.

Reactions: ShootIt

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Another Miami game going down to the wire. That failed onside kick is the main difference at the moment

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
The Dolphins Defense truly cant stop the Jets Offense. They have no idea what to do. Lmfao!!!
It’s so entertaining to watch. Go Todd Bowles.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
You're talking about the guy that's part of the flat Earth society.
I know, but he backed it up with how he knew it wasnt really flat. He just wanted to challenge thought or some BS like that. I didnt buy.

But this....this really makes me lose hope. I wonder if thinks Vintage jerseys are made from old threads lol

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Lol Irving. And lol Miami.

Ravens lately have been putting the beat down on them

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
Lol Irving. And lol Miami.

Ravens lately have been putting the beat down on them

I’m not sure what Miami was doing tonight. It wasn’t playing football, that’s for sure. They got beaten in every position on the field. I’ve only witnessed a couple of games in my lifetime that were that hard to watch. Both of them were Dolphins Games.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
All good points, just like Gore was a 3rd round pick back in the day. They are suggesting Barkley is a better version of Zeke which gets me excited even more haha. I've just seen so many mid round picks do jack squat in SF outside of Gore and just felt the higher pick would produce quicker and to a higher degree. O-line is definitely a big reason for any RB's success as you stated.

Just like in any sports, you can have busts in 1st round and find late round gems.

As for Dallas, I've never been a fan of Garrett at all and seems to have a long leash but feel he could be axed soon if they don't get to the NFC championship game at minimum.
You do have a mixed schedule, some easier games on paper and some tough ones as well but outside of Philly, you guys can still win the division to help get an easier opponent come playoff time. Time will tell.

Looks like your 49ers got their new QB(hopefully for their sake) for the future.
Jimmy Garoppolo for a 2nd rounder.

Hoping he does well. Liked him coming out of college.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Looks like your 49ers got their new QB(hopefully for their sake) for the future.
Jimmy Garoppolo for a 2nd rounder.

Hoping he does well. Liked him coming out of college.

I've been really impressed with Lynch as GM. We had (2) 2nd round picks, we did give ours which will be high but I like how JG is ready to step right in and isn't a rookie.

JG has studied behind the best ever so I'm excited to see what he can do. I also read reports that Patriots turned down offers for him last year of a late first round pick.

Now we can still use our 1st to draft Barkley and use the other 2nd from New Orleans to draft some O-Line help!! :)

So happy with this move, feel like this went from a 3-5 year rebuild down to a 2-3 year build.

Reactions: ShootIt
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad