Post-Game Talk: All it takes is one

korrowan

Sponsor
Feb 8, 2011
Goals going in with high sticks, kicks, hands, etc are not penalties. The broken stick play is. It would have had to have been called on the ice in order to review it. It wasn't.

I want to know WHY its a penalty. It should only be a penalty after the play that is occurring. For instance after the puck leaves the crease or after you fail to pass the puck because the stick broke. The stick breaking while in the crease and a goal is scored shouldn't be a penalty at all. I wouldn't even be mad if it happened to us because the rule is poor.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Shocker. I knew the "out for 2 games" estimation was bunk. Datsyuk is a notoriously slow healer. Either that or its a tactical measure on Detroits part to always keep the opposition guessing if Datsyuk will be in.

He's just getting older. The older you get, the longer it takes to recover from injury.

Gyldenlove

Jun 10, 2013
The rule doesn't account for any time delay, as most rules don't. I know what you're saying about the timeframe of the broken stick and the touching of the puck but, according to the rule:

Rule 605 | Broken Stick

(a) Any player whose stick is broken must drop his stick prior to participating in the play. A minor penalty for an equipment violation shall be assessed for participating in play with a broken stick.

Yup, by that rule Abdelkader should not be penalized. The stick broke during the play, not prior to it. The same way you don't penalize someone who breaks their stick while taking a slapshot or if the stick gets slashed while they try to play the puck.

Abdelkader breaks his stick attempting to swat the puck and in a continuous motion then pokes the puck into the net. If you are going to assess a penalty there, every time a player breaks his stick on the ice for a slapshot and makes contact with the puck you would have assess a 2 minute penalty. It would also follow that you should be penalized if someone slashes your stick and breaks it and the broken stick touches the puck.

opivy

Sauce King
Sep 14, 2011
Columbus, OH
Yup, by that rule Abdelkader should not be penalized. The stick broke during the play, not prior to it. The same way you don't penalize someone who breaks their stick while taking a slapshot or if the stick gets slashed while they try to play the puck.

Abdelkader breaks his stick attempting to swat the puck and in a continuous motion then pokes the puck into the net. If you are going to assess a penalty there, every time a player breaks his stick on the ice for a slapshot and makes contact with the puck you would have assess a 2 minute penalty. It would also follow that you should be penalized if someone slashes your stick and breaks it and the broken stick touches the puck.

It wasn't so cut and dry, it was two motions. It really just depends on if he felt it or not. It's so bang bang it's almost impossible to assess. You can't review a penalty but you can review the goal if you think there was something. From the play at the ice level though the stick looked just fine until Petrangielo whacked at it. Looked like a slash. From overhead it's pretty obvious. I chalk it up to puck luck karma throughout 82.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Disputable if he was aware of the broken stick, when chipping it in. It's not as if there was much time between the move that led to the break in the first place and the second one.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
I posted it in the photoshop thread but it probably belongs here even more.

4C8mnTA.jpg

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
What happened to nyquist being a top scorer for the wings? Shouldn't he be a guy that plays wing on the top line with his scoring ability?
Babcock:p::p::p:
The same as Franzen.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway

The Miller scrap, big moment in the game in my opinion.

Watch the Blues logo fly right off the helmet.:laugh: Probably not the best idea if you're Miller just to hammer away on the actual helmet. But still great job by Miller

Bolt Bruins game was tied 1-1, then Stamkos drops the gloves and Bolts score 2 goals the very next min. :naughty::D:handclap::yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad