Speculation: All-encompassing Ristolainen Thread

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Calgary is looked to lose some salary to sign Tkatchuk and Mangiapane.

Calgary would trade Brodie, Frolik & 2nd or 3rd

Buffalo would trade Ristolainen and Tage Thomson

Buffalo gets a similar D who plays more sound defence and great 2nd/third liner who can penalty kill plus a pick for the amount of salary.

Calgary gets a right shot D who can be sheltered by Gio and get offensive opportunity, Calgary also picks up a decent young player who could play on the 4th line.

WTF

you send 2 older players over 30 for two young players then throw in a 2nd and 4rd

Risto >> Brodie
Thompson >> Frolik

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
300k in savings doesn’t really help the situation so if we need to take that kind of salary back I’d rather just keep Fro because he’s our second best natural right winger

Yeah 300k in savings isn’t nearly enough to offset the difference in ability between Frolik and Scandella

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
WTF

you send 2 older players over 30 for two young players then throw in a 2nd and 4rd

Risto >> Brodie
Thompson >> Frolik
Although I can see why you want to hang onto Thompson to see if he develops into something better, he has a career high of 12 points so far. You need to settle down with all those greater than signs.

Ristolainen had publicly asked for a trade. That significantly decreased his value.

Reactions: John Johnson

Remember2004

Oct 20, 2010
Although I can see why you want to hang onto Thompson to see if he develops into something better, he has a career high of 12 points so far. You need to settle down with all those greater than signs.

Ristolainen had publicly asked for a trade. That significantly decreased his value.

Remember though on HF, potential >>> than what actually has been accomplished.

Reactions: DFC

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I guess there's always a reason to acquire expiring contracts for young players. But frankly I don't see a 2nd rounder as that reason.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
WTF

Risto >> Brodie
Thompson >> Frolik

You have the signs backward

Risto can't play defense and a bad contract for what he does
Thompson is a dime a dozen prospect

Reactions: John Johnson

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Risto has a higher cap hit than both Frolik and Brodie, adding him in a cap clearing trade makes little sense. We downgrade (arguably) by trading Brodie as well.

Thompson makes it tempting though, but I imagine he isn't available.

Derg12

Mar 12, 2014
Personal opinion is Risto is moved at the trade deadline. JMJB squeezes some extra value out of the trade, Risto gets his wishes, and everyone is happy.

Of course, it's contingent on the Sabres position in the standings along with Risto's numbers up to that point.

McJC

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
Puljujarvi + 2nd is most I'd want the Oilers to offer.
Fact of the matter is, Ristolainen has been forced to play a big role for the Sabres and has been underwhelming.
This mess has done nothing but reduce his trade value. His recent comments about the culture there will just make Buffalo want to get him out quicker aka take a lesser return.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Puljujarvi + 2nd is most I'd want the Oilers to offer.
Fact of the matter is, Ristolainen has been forced to play a big role for the Sabres and has been underwhelming.
This mess has done nothing but reduce his trade value. His recent comments about the culture there will just make Buffalo want to get him out quicker aka take a lesser return.
If he's sick and tired of losing in Buffalo, Why would he be interested in even a worse Edmonton team? Makes no sense.

And if he's sick and tired of losing in Buffalo, then he wont be Detroit bound.

Last edited by a moderator:

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Thmpson is on an ELC and played around 100 games his potential is better than what Frolik (a cap dump now) can do with 1 yr left. i wouldnt be suprised if Thompson outscores Frolik next year.

Risto is better than Brodie.

I look at that proposal and the oiler one in a separate thread and saw can you top this

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I'd still like a trade from LA for Adrian Kempe, or Winnipeg for Roslovic. Each would fill the void at 3C for the Sabres.

If the Jets wanted a Ristolainen type of Dman they would of retained Myers without trading away any good prospect......it’s well documented the Jets didn’t even talk to Myers about a new deal. Myers & Ristolainen are both similar in the fact both are #4D and more offensively minded with major defensive shortcomings. Letting Myers walk into FA without even offering him a contract or even asking him what he wants for a contract and then trading a good prospect for Ristolainen isn’t logical.....so it’s fair to say the Jets wouldn’t go after Ristolainen via that route if there is any interest in him. Only chance I see the Jets being least bit interested in Ristolainen is if they trade away a near equal contract back to the Sabres as the return or big part of it. IE: Little or MP..........Jets can’t add a Ristolainen contract without giving one back and Ristolainen isn’t a guy you trade Ehlers (1st line winger on a great contract) for. Both MP (limited NMC) and Little (full NMC) have NMC contracts, I doubt either would waive to go to the Sabres (no offence meant) so basically I see no deal between the teams. Plus Jets can’t afford to give ELC guys via trade for a significant contract like Ristolainen deal.

Oilers likely a better target to trade Ristolainen to

Reactions: Huffer

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Risto might seem like a fit for the Oilers at first glance- however I dont think he actually would be. Hes not a good puck mover when breaking the puck out, which the Oilers biggest need. He got most of his points on the PP as a secondary piece to Eichel. While that is valuable, the Oilers will have Bouchard on the next team, and I expect hell need the prime PP minutes within the next 2 years

Lastly, RR is overpaid and they dont have the cap space to bring him in. They would need to either attach Russell or Larsson to make it work

The reason RR is talked about so much is because he was once a high draft pick. But there are actually better options out there that are less hyped. For example, Id take a guy like Colin Miller over RR, and Miller went for some draft picks

McJC

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
If he's sick and tired of losing in Buffalo, Why would he be interested in even a worse Edmonton team? Makes no sense.

And if he's sick and tired of losing in Buffalo, then he wont be Detroit bound.

If he's a guy that wants to be along for the ride and not be the spark for change, then he's very much a factor contributing to the losing culture in Buffalo

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
WTF

Risto >> Brodie
Thompson >> Frolik
I can maybe get behind the Risto>Brodie one if you take away one >, but even then you can argue Brodie's defensive side of his game is that good that he trumps Ristos point difference. Brodie is still widely considered one of the best defensive dmen in the league. Similar to Vlasic but puts up more offensive numbers too

But then in what world has Thompson done anything to prove he is better than Frolik? Age and hope is the only thing Tage has on him.

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011

He has? Link please.

Reactions: Eichel9

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Proposed this is on Oilers board:

To BUF: Frolik + Puljujarvi
To EDM: Ristolainen
To CGY: Russell + Bear

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad