All Encompassing Coaching Status Thread | TOR hire Paul McFarland as an Assistant Coach

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008

One of us could replace him no problem.

Last year

Muzzin-Rielly
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Dermott-Hainsey

PK

Tavares-Marner

Matthews-Hyman/Kapanen/Brown

yay that was easy, pay me.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I think Shanahan has met with Babcock
hes too quiet, basically told him to look around the league
these other coaches ain't making 6 mil a year, but they are still playing and winning series
Babcock didn't play his horses enuff
even the casual fan knows it
the reason hes so quiet now is this may be the first time in his coaching life he got told how its gonna be to a certain extent
jim hillier s replacement will be a dubas guy
book it

You are not wrong. Unfortunately, it was already known the McFarland was a Dubas guy and would be replacing Hiller. I think you were referring to the Smith replacement also being a Dubas guy. We have our new PP Assistant, but we still need our PK Assistant.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
You are not wrong. Unfortunately, it was already known the McFarland was a Dubas guy and would be replacing Hiller. I think you were referring to the Smith replacement also being a Dubas guy. We have our new PP Assistant, but we still need our PK Assistant.

Source?

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
One of us could replace him no problem.

Last year

Muzzin-Rielly
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Dermott-Hainsey

PK

Tavares-Marner

Matthews-Hyman/Kapanen/Brown

yay that was easy, pay me.
So you want to move Morgan Rielly, your best d man, to the right side where he didn’t look nearly as good? ... and re-pair Gardiner-Zaitsev despite their struggles? ... I guess, that’s an idea?

And you want your two franchise centres competing on the PK? Sacrificing their body? Blocking shots? Hmm.

One of us may be able to replace him but I don’t think it should be you.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
So you want to move Morgan Rielly, your best d man, to the right side where he didn’t look nearly as good? ... and re-pair Gardiner-Zaitsev despite their struggles? ... I guess, that’s an idea?

And you want your two franchise centres competing on the PK? Sacrificing their body? Blocking shots? Hmm.

One of us may be able to replace him but I don’t think it should be you.

Look at their numbers there bud.

Rielly killed it with Muzzin.

Your franchise player argument doesn’t really hold weight, a ton of franchise players kill penalties. I’m sure you know this.

Reactions: stopclickbait

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Now that Jim Hiller has officially left the organization, I wouldn't be surprised if TOR hires their 2nd assistant coach sooner rather than later.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Look at their numbers there bud.

Rielly killed it with Muzzin.
:laugh: Oh, my bad.. here I was watching the game there bud. :laugh:

Rielly is much better on the left and the difference is noticeable, even if it doesn’t appear in your numbers.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Yeah Rielly was given a huge favour getting Hainsey as a partner, glad you loved that lmao.
I didn’t love it at all. They desperately need a RH 2-3 that can play with Rielly but that doesn’t fall on the coach. Moving your best d out of position to accommodate someone you’ve traded for isn’t a great strategy.. especially when he’s in the midst of a breakout year.

...and make no mistake, Hainsey is the best complimentary fit right now and he’s helped Rielly’s development immensely.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I was really excited about making the playoffs a couple of seasons ago. I thought that Babcock was doing good things and will be able to take us to the next level. Now, it's becoming very evident that Babcock can't and won't lead them anywhere.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Marner contract, possible Leafs trades and the draft on Dubas’ plate this weekend
Meanwhile, it’s possible the Leafs could come out of the weekend with another assistant coach following the departures of D.J. Smith (hired by the Ottawa Senators as head coach) and Jim Hiller (hired on Wednesday by the New York Islanders to be an assistant) from Babcock’s staff.

The Leafs filled one vacancy in May with the hiring of Paul McFarland; two names that have been linked to Toronto to fill the remaining opening are former NHL defenceman Jay McKee, the head coach of the Kitchener Rangers, and Mike Vellucci, who recently coached the Charlotte Checkers to the Calder Cup title in the American Hockey League.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I have a feeling it’ll be Jay McKee.

Based on nothing. But that’d be my personal choice.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I have a feeling it’ll be Jay McKee.

Based on nothing. But that’d be my personal choice.

IDK, there has been controversy surrounding him with bullying in the OHL. Plus Kitchener has been pretty mediocre under him. Not bad, but constantly underperforming.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

More speculation than anything, although his coaching style is more forward-thinking and reminisent to Keefe (and by extension, Dubas) than it would Babcock. Dubas was the GM of teams which McFarland was coaching, whereas Babcock doesn't really have any known ties to McFarland besides McFarland being a guest coach that one year (which also could have easily been Dubas, or maybe Hunter). I think if it were up to Babcock, he'd keep Hiller, whom he knows and trusts.

I'm sure Babcock is fine with McFarland as an assistant, but I don't think he's the one who said "Let Jim 'explore his options' so we can hire Paul" either.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
More speculation than anything, although his coaching style is more forward-thinking and reminisent to Keefe (and by extension, Dubas) than it would Babcock. Dubas was the GM of teams which McFarland was coaching, whereas Babcock doesn't really have any known ties to McFarland besides McFarland being a guest coach that one year (which also could have easily been Dubas, or maybe Hunter). I think if it were up to Babcock, he'd keep Hiller, whom he knows and trusts.

I'm sure Babcock is fine with McFarland as an assistant, but I don't think he's the one who said "Let Jim 'explore his options' so we can hire Paul" either.

I disagree with your speculation

Babcock doesn’t have many known ties to most of the assistants he hires....

Also, I’m not even sure he has had an assistant stay with him for more than 5 seasons, if he has there weren’t many. I’m sure Babcock knew it was time to move on...

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
I disagree with your speculation

Babcock doesn’t have many known ties to most of the assistants he hires....

Also, I’m not even sure he has had an assistant stay with him for more than 5 seasons, if he has there weren’t many. I’m sure Babcock knew it was time to move on...
Yeah, a lot of his assistants move on to HC opportunities. Working under Babcock is like an Ivy League education in coaching.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Rocky Thompson would be interesting.

Chicago was 4th in the AHL this season, and lost in the finals.

KobeBean143

VINO #24 #8 #2 MVP
Mar 13, 2015
Omg that interview, hey mike take “real gud pro” and shove it up your ass. I am so sick of hearing that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad