AEW All Elite Wrestling #5: Road to Double or Nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I think the fall in ratings for AEW are pretty much just due to their fan base and Thanksgiving. I think it will bounce back heavy.

But one thing they NEED to do is get their stars to be stars. Omega has been floundering around with good matches with zero substance. Cody can now no longer take on the title. The Bucks lost the first round tourney and lost from there on out. Ambrose/Mox is just hanging out there.

The stars need to be stars. SCU/Sky are nice... but they aren't the stars. Sky shouldn't have been a mega star. Allin made more sense as being a star. SCU can be a solid tag team. That was a huge misstep, IMO.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I keep trying to get into AEW, and a big part of me really wants to because the current WWE product leaves me wanting, but it's just not happening thus far.

I feel like I'm watching a lot of mid-card, and lower mid-card guys who "think" they should be main event guys and stars, but don't come off as main eventers or stars.

It feels like their greatest strength is also their greatest weakness --- youth. On the one hand there is an element of excitement and freshness, but there's not enough to contrast it. It's missing an element that feels like a passing of the torch. Obviously, Jericho is going to serve in that capacity at some point, but it doesn't feel like there's enough guys who are at or near that level who can set up a broader array of talent.

The challenge is going to be that there are a number of guys who are over there, with chips on their shoulder, because they feel they were the guys who should've gone further. But even in a new environment, there's only so many slots and at some point, there's going to be more guys who slide right back underneath and find themselves in similar positions to the ones they left. Yes, right now there's a feeling that they are free to do what they want, and Moxley touched on that in a recent interview.

But I'm curious to see how that manifests itself over the long haul as, inevitably, a clear direction starts to take shape and some guys are asked to put what they want to do on hold...and then on hold again...and again, because the company's creative leadership has a vision that doesn't necessarily include them as a focal point.

Reactions: SenatorsHockey

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I keep trying to get into AEW, and a big part of me really wants to because the current WWE product leaves me wanting, but it's just not happening thus far.

I feel like I'm watching a lot of mid-card, and lower mid-card guys who "think" they should be main event guys and stars, but don't come off as main eventers or stars.

It feels like their greatest strength is also their greatest weakness --- youth. On the one hand there is an element of excitement and freshness, but there's not enough to contrast it. It's missing an element that feels like a passing of the torch. Obviously, Jericho is going to serve in that capacity at some point, but it doesn't feel like there's enough guys who are at or near that level who can set up a broader array of talent.

The challenge is going to be that there are a number of guys who are over there, with chips on their shoulder, because they feel they were the guys who should've gone further. But even in a new environment, there's only so many slots and at some point, there's going to be more guys who slide right back underneath and find themselves in similar positions to the ones they left. Yes, right now there's a feeling that they are free to do what they want, and Moxley touched on that in a recent interview.

But I'm curious to see how that manifests itself over the long haul as, inevitably, a clear direction starts to take shape and some guys are asked to put what they want to do on hold...and then on hold again...and again, because the company's creative leadership has a vision that doesn't necessarily include them as a focal point.

Those are good points, and I think that they pertain in particular to Adam Page and Shawn Spears. The main guys in the company talked Page up like he's tremendous, a superstar, etc. but in reality he's not. He's solid and he may one day develop into that guy, but he's not near that level yet. Thankfully they held off putting the title on him, though the purgatory they've placed him in hasn't done him any favours yet.

With Spears, he's a guy who left WWE and was bitter about how he was used. The thing is though... he isn't good. Just because WWE didn't see much in you and AEW signed you, doesn't mean WWE was wrong.

AEW certainly needs to improve its roster but there are encouraging signs. There are and will be growing pains, but even if it never develops into a great promotion wrestling is still better for its existence.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
So it was established that Cody makes the matches?

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
I can't believe how bad its gotten in 10 weeks.. From sellouts to lots of empty seats. Tonight's crowd is dead and can't say i blame them. Wish i could watch nxt live in Canada.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
The fall in ratings is because NXT is the better show. Its not Thanksgiving.. Its not anything, its that the buzz is gone now and AEW is just not that good.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
I dont get NXT live in Canada, aEw is on 1 TSN channel here. Ive tried for 10 shows now to like it.. Ive tried, im somewhat of a lapsed Fan.. Ive tried to enjoy it but i can't.. Its way 2 mark based.. By that i mean, who the f*** are some of these people? Nobody who doesnt go to local indy wrestling in California knows who any of them are.

They do nothing to explain them.. Dumb vignettes dont count.
Its just so bad with zero flow..

Saw a sign
. no big dog no architect just wrestling and then... There was 40 minutes of promos.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
We do. Its on USA network. Flips and flops and 25 botches in 2 hours with no selling isnt good wrestling

how do you get USA network in Canada? I don’t have it available to me.

they don’t have the depth they need on the roster and I dislike the panderingto the crowd after every big spot but it’s a decent show

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
AEW needs time to build. It's a fetus company that will need to be creative in order to make a truly big splash. They had a nice bounce back in ratings this week and are slowly building to a Moxley/Jericho match for the title which has the potential to be an amazing feud. Moxley is incredibly over and should be the guy to take it off Jericho but not before having a huge struggle penetrating the Inner Circle.

Talent wise beyond the top of the card, there is a lot of work to be done but that will take time. Hopefully they can sign a difference maker somewhere down the line but seems like a lot of guys and girls are content with the nice WWE pay day. AEW will have to prove its a sustainable model that takes care of its talent. Still early folks

Reactions: tony d

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I agree with what the previous poster said. The company is still young, they're still learning things. I've watched parts of a few shows, this past week was probably the best AEW show I've seen.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I'd like to see Luke Harper go to AEW. It wouldn't look like a TNA move as WWE actually underutilized Harper and didn't bother pushing him, and AEW really does need to improve its mid card. He would also look huge in AEW and that would be funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad