ALL DEADLINE TALK HERE | Part IV: Crafton's Liver Eating Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
If its not Iginla, get a player like stempniak ...someone that can play in top 6. Put him with Sid and Kunitz , dupuis down to 3rd line. Then Cooke replacing glass on the 4th line. Acquiring Iginla could actually add too much pressure to this team....where anything but a cup is a huge letdown and the players know it. But adding a guy like stempniak doesn't do that.

Kunitz - Crosby - Stempniak
Morrow - Malkin - Neal
Dupuis - Sutter - Bennett
Cooke - Vitale - Kennedy / Adams

Id take that. Certainly better than adding Sullivan. Stempniak is a playmaker..he could actually get the puck to Sid, something dupuis absolutely cannot.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Personally, I hate Torres' guts and don't ever want to see him in a Penguins uniform.

Torres has some okay numbers this year, but he's at his most effective when he's being a complete dirtbag, but he's experienced a lobotomy since his suspension. Good for hockey, bad for his game.

I know the same could be said of Cooke and he's played well enough since then, but Cooke's a lot smarter of a player than Torres.

Admittedly, I haven't seen much of Torres since his suspension so you are probably right.

Fire Shero*

If its not Iginla, get a player like stempniak ...someone that can play in top 6. Put him with Sid and Kunitz , dupuis down to 3rd line. Then Cooke replacing glass on the 4th line. Acquiring Iginla could actually add too much pressure to this team....where anything but a cup is a huge letdown and the players know it. But adding a guy like stempniak doesn't do that.

Kunitz - Crosby - Stempniak
Morrow - Malkin - Neal
Dupuis - Sutter - Bennett
Cooke - Vitale - Kennedy / Adams

Id take that. Certainly better than adding Sullivan. Stempniak is a playmaker..he could actually get the puck to Sid, something dupuis absolutely cannot.

So we aren't going to bring in the best available player because it'd put pressure on the guys to win the cup?

How mentally weak are these guys? You dont want to pressure them? I find it really pathetic Shero had to go out and get a guy like Morrow because of his veteran presence when the majority of our players have so much playoff experience. This isn't the 2008 pens.

zero8771

Jun 15, 2012
So we aren't going to bring in the best available player because it'd put pressure on the guys to win the cup?

How mentally weak are these guys? You dont want to pressure them? I find it really pathetic Shero had to go out and get a guy like Morrow because of his veteran presence when the majority of our players have so much playoff experience. This isn't the 2008 pens.

So pathetic. You should put in your resume. I'm sure they are hiring a new GM due to Shero's completely pathetic managing

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

You and Jags are battling it out for the most negative posters on the board. This is strong work here.

Fire Shero*

Let me clarify my post. I agree that Shero needed to bring in vets. I think it's pathetic that he had to do so when so many players have playoff experience. I blame the players and disco for forcing Shero to have to bring in vets.

I'm not bashing Shero. Sorry if it came off that way.

Go pens

And I'm sorry being so pessimistic, I just don't want Crosby retiring with one cup ring. We have the cap space so I am hoping Shero surrounds him with some real talent going into the playoffs.

zero8771

Jun 15, 2012
Let me clarify my post. I agree that Shero needed to bring in vets. I think it's pathetic that he had to do so when so many players have playoff experience. I blame the players and disco for forcing Shero to have to bring in vets.

I'm not bashing Shero. Sorry if it came off that way.

Go pens

And I'm sorry being so pessimistic, I just don't want Crosby retiring with one cup ring. We have the cap space so I am hoping Shero surrounds him with some real talent going into the playoffs.

There is a big difference between playoff tested vets and 6'1, 210, CUP HUNGRY, bruising leaders.

The pens are not the only team to bring in some outside leadership/grit for a playoff run. This is pretty common practice. It's nice to have a new leader in the room, especially a physical one who hasn't won a cup

Fire Shero*

There is a big difference between playoff tested vets and 6'1, 210, CUP HUNGRY, bruising leaders.

The pens are not the only team to bring in some outside leadership/grit for a playoff run. This is pretty common practice. It's nice to have a new leader in the room, especially a physical one who hasn't won a cup

I'd rather have a young player with upside than a cup hungry grizzly vet years past his prime.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
I'm in the "just go for it, Ray" camp. Get Iginla, and just win. Worry about 2-3 years from now, 2 to 3 years from now. He'll never have this cap space to play with again(most likely). I will note, though, that I am a very short-sighted. haha

I'm at that point as well mainly because of the Morrow and Murray moves. IMO the Pens have to make the SCF or at least the game 6 or 7 of the ECF with what Shero has given up already so IMO he should just got all in and get one more piece to put the Pens over the top.

Jeremyisgood

Mar 29, 2012
I'm at that point as well mainly because of the Morrow and Murray moves. IMO the Pens have to make the SCF or at least the game 6 or 7 of the ECF with what Shero has given up already so IMO he should just got all in and get one more piece to put the Pens over the top.

Can I get an "amen".

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
I don't see a fit with Sullivan unless they aren't happy with Cooke and Kennedy on the 3rd line. Sully is another good veteran locker room guy and Shero seems to be putting an emphasis on that this deadline.

Kunitz Crosby Dupuis
Morrow Malkin Neal
Sullivan Sutter Bennett
Cooke Vitale Adams

I guess you could also put Sully on the 4th line and double shift Sid with him like they did in 2009 with guys like Satan.

Sully was decent on the PP last year too.

Stop dreaming, Bylsma would never bench Glass. If we got Sullivan, Bennett would be scratched, even though he is a better player at this point and not a proven playoff underperformer.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
There has been considerable talk of Ryan Whitney being traded to BOS and Bruins have certainly done due diligence on his health etc., but...

...the Edmonton Oilers say they haven't traded Whitney to BOS or anywhere else. That's as of now. No doubt they're trying to move him.

http://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/statuses/317006442940993536
http://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/statuses/317006779093487617

interesting.

pull a Burns. move him to forward. backdoor on the PP all day. get every rental alive.

mr sidney crosby

May 13, 2012
Pittsburgh
I bet Letang is traded in the summer. He is so injured prone and he would want a ton of money for someone that can't stay healthy. I'd trade him out west to a team drafting high this year. Get a top 10 pick, top prospect, top 6 winger.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Interesting if Whitney goes to Boston. I'm sure Sid is licking his chops at the thought of the rare shift Whitney gets caught out on the ice with him instead of Chara.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Interesting if Whitney goes to Boston. I'm sure Sid is licking his chops at the thought of the rare shift Whitney gets caught out on the ice with him instead of Chara.

true, but at the same time, I'm not going to hate on the move too much. Like people felt we needed Morrow and Murray for grit, I feel like they need that PMD on the back end

Fire Shero*

Whitney has stayed healthy this season. It'd be nice for him to get the hell out of Edmonton and play for a contender.

I wonder what the asking price is. Probably not two 2nd round picks :) .

I guess Whitney is the total opposite of Murray. He's only beneficial on the power play whereas big boy excels on the pk. Although both are similar in that they aren't very good at even strength, at least that what sharks fans claim.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Please stop quoting these guys...

If we are looking at Stempy, why not go after MacArthur? Younger and has better wheels.

Oh I don't know, maybe because Toronto is in 6th place in the East and Calgary is not making the playoffs. I just don't see why Toronto would deal for futures when they are poised to make the playoffs for the first time in forever.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
This probably sounds crazy, but I would much rather have Boyle than Iginla. You gotta think the asking price would be lower too.

I still think that Letang is not the ideal guy to be anchoring our PP and bringing in a proven, cup-winning guy like Boyle would make us much more dangerous.

Karnage420*

This probably sounds crazy, but I would much rather have Boyle than Iginla. You gotta think the asking price would be lower too.

I still think that Letang is not the ideal guy to be anchoring our PP and bringing in a proven, cup-winning guy like Boyle would make us much more dangerous.

:help:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad