Speculation: All Bruins trade proposals/rumors: forget the thread numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Root

Feb 22, 2010
I'm convinced if Chiarelli was given a vote of confidence (btw- Chiarelli just signed an extension recently that goes to 2017-18 and kicked in this year:amazed:) he would not be buying and scoff at the idea of giving a stud young defensman we will likely draft for 15 games of Vermette.

Arizona WANTS to do alot but they havent done NOTHING yet

Arizona GM Don Maloney is around the Garden so much he's called by the workers by his first name

I will be pissed if I see Koko, Krug, our first, and a second headed to them

it looks bad to me- Arizona still has their guys and our GM has the mindset win or else

96 hours till its all over:handclap:

I'm gonna be pissed if they try to bandaid this mess, especially if our GM knows the right thing to do is sell but ownership wont let him do that. Chiarelli deserves a lot of blame for the mess he put this team in, in my opinion he closed our cup window by a couple years with some of his recent moves. but he is the GM, either let him do what he thinks is best for the team or fire him. if he wants to sell, and I agree that's the best thing for this team, then let him do that.

don't try to patch up this mess and make the playoffs just to get eliminated in round one. that will set this franchise back a few years. we have some good assets, we can retool and come back strong next year.

Cid

Jan 9, 2007
Canada
Because management is blind and thinks this team can still win.

I think it's more PC want's to keep his job.

We should totally be sellers at this point, but it's pretty much written in stone that no playoff appearance = the end of the PC era.

He's caught between a rock and a hard place. Leverage your future for a chance to keep your job? If he manages to keep his job he makes it harder to build a winner in the years to come. If he starts building for the future he won't be here to see it.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
If he is actively shopping Eriksson, then I have to think that Kassian is still on the table for him. If he can get Kassian and Jensen for Eriksson, which has been tossed around here by everyone, but I think Coach Parker mostly, and then get Stewart as well; then we get more depth and more size. Are we better? I don't know.

Still need defense too.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB

We should totally be sellers at this point, but it's pretty much written in stone that no playoff appearance = the end of the PC era.

He's caught between a rock and a hard place. Leverage your future for a chance to keep your job? If he manages to keep his job he makes it harder to build a winner in the years to come. If he starts building for the future he won't be here to see it.

What makes you think missing playoffs costs him his job? I would bet against that.

The Jangle Meister*

so what about Loui Eriksson? what would you want from Ottawa

Bread and Circuses

Smile and wave.
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2010
Somewhere in the middle

Highly doubt PC loses his job if the B's miss the playoffs for the first time in 7 years.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
I wonder if Chiarelli spent more time today looking for ways to improve the team or getting word to anyone who would listen that he was in on all of the guys who've been traded so far.

"Hey guys...I tried for that guy too! Look at me! I tried too!"

:laugh:

I'm so sick of hearing from the Bruins that the prices were too high and etc etc on excuses while all these other teams make moves (Montreal especially)

And I'm not talking about just this year. The trade deadline is like Groundhog day for Chia.

NeelySpinninBackhand

Feb 10, 2015
The Moon
Habs don't need a lot of scoring. Price along with rinne has been the league's best goalie. The guy is a wall back there. Yes, better than rask. In my opinion, much better too.

I don't think anyone could disagree.

We won the cup on Thomas putting in an mvp performance.

And not to take anything away from Rask, but he makes positional errors and mental mistakes that I've only seen Price make in the playoffs.

I don't think it is a talent gap, but more so a mental block. Rask is emotional. Price isn't. But I do notice that Price plays awful once he has blown it and let a couple in.

In other words, both have the best skills in the league in goal, but Price stays calm and collected which affords less mistakes.

What puzzles me with Price is he is fairly basic in his approach: butterfly default, not much movement. Habs have taken a page from Boston and utilized defence as 2nd and 3rd goalies, a la 2011.

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
We have a core of and some may argue:
Forwards:
Bergeron-Krejci-Lucic-Marchand-Smith-Pasta
Expendable:
Kelly, Sodaberg, Eriksson, Paille, Campbell, Caron can all be had

Defense
Chara, Hamilton, Krug, McQuaid
Expendable:
Seidenberg, Miller, Bart, Trotman

Goalies
Tuukka
Expendable
Sveddy, Subban

Prospects/AHL
Spooner, Koko, Ferlin, Morrow
Expendable:
Too many to list

So, PC, are you telling the Bruins fans across the country that with these pieces all available:
Kelly, Sodaberg, Eriksson, Paille, Campbell, Caron
Sveddy, Subban
+ picks
That you can't hammer out a deal to improve this hockey team both for the short term and future?

Eberle/Hall and Petry- Subban, signed Soda, Seidenberg
Why not? Subban, if he materializes, will be a back up for the greater portion of his career. Soda will look for 3-4-5 mill this summer and we have a cheaper option in Spoons/Koko. Seids, great leadership for a young Oilers team, we need to move on from him.

Stewart(50% retained) and Foligno for Trotman, 2nd(turns 1st if we win the cup) and Campbell
Why? Two big bodies, immediately helps our forward group and we risk giving up the 1st if we win the cup, a risk I'd gladly take.

Loui Eriksson for Jared Cowan
Why? shed's cap space and gives us a young defender who I feel could really blossom under Claude's system.

Vermette, and Gormley for Kelly, Koko, Paille, and 2015 2nd and 2016 2nd
Why? Vermette is a pure rental unless he signs on the cheap in the offseason(no reason to with Krejci-Bergy-Spoons) and we get a another young promising defenceman. Taking Paille turns that 2nd in 16 from a 3rd(cap relief)

Regular Season
Marshy-Bergy-Eberle
Lucic-Vermette-Stewart
Pasta-Spoons-Smith
Foligno-Cunningham-Ferlin

Chara-Cowen
Hamilton-Petry
McQuaid-Krug
Gormley/Bart

Playoffs:
Marshy-Bergy-Eberle
Lucic-Krejci-Stewart
Pasta-Vermette-Smith
Foligno-Spoons-Ferlin

Chara-Cowen
Hamilton-Petry
McQuaid-Krug
Gormley/Bart

Gone: Subban, Seids, Soda, Eriksson, Paille, Campbell, Kelly, Trotman, 2-2nds(15) and 2nd(16)
In: Eberle, Petry(UFA), Vermette(UFA), Gormley, Stewart(UFA), Foligno, Cowen

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA

I'm not interested in labeling PC as a victim.

I'm interested in understanding what exactly he is going for. Until I have an idea of whether they are buyers or sellers, whether they think they can make a run this year or not, I can't help but have the suspicion that he (or THEY) don't really know what the direction of the team is. THAT is what concerns me going forward.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
Forwards:
Expendable:

Defense
Expendable:

Goalies
Tuukka
Expendable
Sveddy, Subban

Prospects/AHL
Expendable:
Too many to list

I think if you can upgrade Krug, then I'd include him as 'expendable' too. If I could move Krug for someone like Jack Johnson; then I think you do that every day. Obviously not straight up; but with the right addition. I like Krug an awful lot, but his price tag is going to be that of a top 4, and I still question if he is a top 4?

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
Blame it in Charlie and Neely. They should have come out and said GM and coach are safe...then we could calmly sell.

It's a business and the people in charge of running the team have failed this season which in turn loses Charlie a ton of money. Why would he come out and say they are safe if they fail?

If I'm a CFO and lose the company millions of dollars, I wouldn't expect the owner to hold a meeting telling me that my job is safe even if I fail.

Strange Universe

Apr 8, 2009
I don't think anyone could disagree.

We won the cup on Thomas putting in an mvp performance.

And not to take anything away from Rask, but he makes positional errors and mental mistakes that I've only seen Price make in the playoffs.

I don't think it is a talent gap, but more so a mental block. Rask is emotional. Price isn't. But I do notice that Price plays awful once he has blown it and let a couple in.

In other words, both have the best skills in the league in goal, but Price stays calm and collected which affords less mistakes.

What puzzles me with Price is he is fairly basic in his approach: butterfly default, not much movement. Habs have taken a page from Boston and utilized defence as 2nd and 3rd goalies, a la 2011.

This has been Price's best performance as a goalie since being with the MTL team.
Prior to this, their were rumbles that they wanted him traded and was not looked at as the goalie of the future by many in all avenues of support.

CombatOnContact

Feb 28, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Forwards:
Expendable:

Defense
Expendable:

Goalies
Tuukka
Expendable
Sveddy, Subban

Prospects/AHL
Expendable:
Too many to list

let's argue ;)

I don't think Smith or Marchand are truly part of "the core". I think that it's probably a smaller group, just Bergeron, Krejci, Lucic, and now Pasta.

I'd argue that Kelly was probably part of the core (hence the NTC) at one point, but has since just become part of the problem.

One of Soderberg/Eriksson should be part of the core in my opinion.

I like the D.. but we're clearly short 2 top pair guys. Krug is too small to be there and McQ will always a 6. Chara is probably more of a 3-4 now and Hamilton is not quite a 2 yet.

Until they have a suitable backup, I'd say Subban is part of the core. This is why I'm hoping for Antti Raantta. He's a capable backup goalie would solidify that role for this year and next...

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
It's a business and the people in charge of running the team have failed this season which in turn loses Charlie a ton of money. Why would he come out and say they are safe if they fail?

If I'm a CFO and lose the company millions of dollars, I wouldn't expect the owner to hold a meeting telling me that my job is safe even if I fail.

Exactly... and Chiarelli has been telling the fans via the media for months that he believes in his core, that they are SC contenders, so he doesn't have to make any move. Turns out he is wrong and a liar.

NeelySpinninBackhand

Feb 10, 2015
The Moon
This has been Price's best performance as a goalie since being with the MTL team.
Prior to this, their were rumbles that they wanted him traded and was not looked at as the goalie of the future by many in all avenues of support.

No doubt. But the team in front of him improving and playing well as a unit is a big part of it.

I hope it is a flash in the pan season for him. I don't dislike him, but I know that Montreal could very well be in 8th without his performances.

I'll be bummed if Habs get a cup, because they'll feel at evens with the Bruins of this era. I know they don't have the full package to do it, but refs have accommodated their offense in recent years in key situations.

Bergevin has been what Chiarelli hasn't; in the fearless cuts and acquisitions.

member 96824

Fair or not, the standards are a lot higher when you have two (of maybe the top 3) best players in the world on your team. Goal-scoring forwards, no less.

Disagree, respectfully of course.

You could make the same case, the standards are a lot higher when you have the best goalie, best shut down defender, and best defensive forward in the world on your team.

But at the end of the day, if your goal is to win now, and you haven't done a sufficient job in order to do that, then your job is in jeopardy. Ray Shero found that out when he was fired after a second round loss.

Ray Shero's resume is nearly identical to Chiarelli's.

Cup win
Cup Final
ECF Loss
3 first round losses
2 second round losses
1 season missing the playoffs

=====

Cup Win
Cup Final
2 first round losses
3 second round losses
2 seasons missing the playoffs

You can figure out which one is which and surely understand why Chiarelli's seat would be hot in a results based business.

That's all I've got to say about that really. Missing the playoffs for the 3rd time in 9 season, or 1st time in 7 whichever way you want to cut it definitely DOES put his job in jeopardy...there's a long line of GM's that can attest, it's a "What have you done for me lately?" business. If you're looking for loyalty, dog's are great.

Bread and Circuses

Smile and wave.
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2010
Somewhere in the middle
Disagree, respectfully of course.

You could make the same case, the standards are a lot higher when you have the best goalie, best shut down defender, and best defensive forward in the world on your team.

But at the end of the day, if your goal is to win now, and you haven't done a sufficient job in order to do that, then your job is in jeopardy. Ray Shero found that out when he was fired after a second round loss.

Ray Shero's resume is nearly identical to Chiarelli's.

Cup win
Cup Final
ECF Loss
3 first round losses
2 second round losses
1 season missing the playoffs

=====

Cup Win
Cup Final
2 first round losses
3 second round losses
2 seasons missing the playoffs

You can figure out which one is which and surely understand why Chiarelli's seat would be hot in a results based business.

That's all I've got to say about that really. Missing the playoffs for the 3rd time in 9 season, or 1st time in 7 whichever way you want to cut it definitely DOES put his job in jeopardy...there's a long line of GM's that can attest, it's a "What have you done for me lately?" business. If you're looking for loyalty, dog's are great.

Let's say B's miss the playoffs and PC is booted.

Who is out there that would be worthy of the position?

I don't follow the business side of the NHL much.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
•Ian McLaren: Nick Kypreos on Hockey Central @ Noon: if you want to trade for Antoine Vermette, you’ll have to give up a first round pick and a prospect or two. Kypreos: “I don’t know how Chicago doesn’t get Vermette.”

We're not getting Vermette...:shakehead

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
•Ian McLaren: Nick Kypreos on Hockey Central @ Noon: if you want to trade for Antoine Vermette, you’ll have to give up a first round pick and a prospect or two. Kypreos: “I don’t know how Chicago doesn’t get Vermette.â€

We're not going to get Vermette...:shakehead

Good, let them have him. I'd rather ride it out with Spooner than move a first for Vermette. This is Spoon's time to shine, I got faith in him. Watch PC shock the world and he grabs Eberle. What a game changer that would be...

Realistically, I see Stewart or Kassian. And one of Petry, Zidlicky, or Michalek.

NeelySpinninBackhand

Feb 10, 2015
The Moon
•Ian McLaren: Nick Kypreos on Hockey Central @ Noon: if you want to trade for Antoine Vermette, you’ll have to give up a first round pick and a prospect or two. Kypreos: “I don’t know how Chicago doesn’t get Vermette.â€

We're not going to get Vermette...:shakehead

Good. At this point I expect little to nothing to be done, and I am actually pleased.

Go down with the ship this year if need be.

Don't over invest in players like Vermette. Figure it out in the off season.

There are no solutions available in the market this year. Jagr for a rental, but even that won't do it.

Cross the fingers for this year and work on it in the off season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad