Boxing: All boxing discussion

Sep 19, 2008
Fight's over. No TKO's. Will go to the scorecards.

Fury probably won. Jake didnt' show much although he did go the distance. Fury was more efficient and effective

Deeds26

Nov 11, 2006
So I don't regularly watch boxing, decided to watch the fight.

That American judge who gave it 75-74 for Paul should probably be investigated.

The commentators were terrible. They basically were giving the fight to Paul because he knocked down Fury. Basically saying that's all that mattered. As if the first 7 rounds didn't count because of an 8th round knockdown.

Reactions: DaaaaB's and Taytro

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
This was one of the more amateur boxing broadcasts I've watched (aside from whatever sham Oscar De La Hoya put one), commentary was half professional and half sloppy. The opinions of the commentary didn't align with what my eyes were seeing, and the colour commentator mixed up their names half a dozen times. Referee was atrocious, judging was questionable (75-74 Paul?). But at the end of the day, I think they got the right winner. It was fun but don't particularly want to see that one happen again. The hype was from the build up, and that will be gone in a second fight.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
This was one of the more amateur boxing broadcasts I've watched (aside from whatever sham Oscar De La Hoya put one), commentary was half professional and half sloppy. The opinions of the commentary didn't align with what my eyes were seeing, and the colour commentator mixed up their names half a dozen times. Referee was atrocious, judging was questionable (75-74 Paul?). But at the end of the day, I think they got the right winner. It was fun but don't particularly want to see that one happen again. The hype was from the build up, and that will be gone in a second fight.

One of the announcers suggested during the 8th that if Fury wins the round after the knockdown it can be a 9-8 instead of a 10-8 round. 9-8 doesn't exist unless a point is dedicated. What is he on?

Reactions: Taytro and DaaaaB's

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
Firstly I’m pleasantry surprised the judges got it right in a sport so corrupt. That being said the quality of the fight was exactly what you would expect from two reality stars (technically the other is a youtuber).

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I do need to give credit to Jake Paul cause he has made me actually tune into boxing when he fights. I had completely lost interest over the years but somehow he has reeled me back in

Reactions: John Price

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
That probably says more about you than it says about boxing unfortunately.
Perhaps lol

I used to watch boxing religiously as a kid but then for years it became so boring to watch... Somehow this knob reeled me back and it's bizzare haha

And alot of the pros are giving him a ton of credit for making boxing alot more popular again.

The world is a strange place haha

Last edited:

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Perhaps lol

I used to watch boxing religiously as a kid but then for years it became so boring to watch... Somehow this knob reeled me back and it's bizzare haha

And alot of the pros are giving him a ton of credit for making boxing alot more popular again.

The world is a strange place haha
The thing is boxing lost its appeal among sports fans because it was overtly stage managed and corrupt. Jake Paul's entire boxing 'career' so far has been if anything a culmination of those factors. People turned away because it's a circus, and now you've got this extreme version of a circus. I think you can say that sure someone like Jake Paul who can bring a pre-existing fan base into the sport is going to lead to more attention, but really you're just leaning into the WWE-ization of the sport.

Imagine if Jake Paul had decided he wanted to be an NFL or NHL player. He'd try out, get destroyed, told 'good luck', and then muck around minor leagues trying to get better before losing interest because the cameras and money wouldn't be following him. But in pro boxing 'quality' and 'status' have always been a bit of a fugazi, and gimmicks have a much better of working in a sport where there's little oversight, little professional integrity and a heavy mix-up with both show business and organized crime. Jake Paul has successfully blurred the line between boxing as a legitimate athletic endeavor and the world of "Celebrity Boxing". But even if that means there's a new crowd following boxing, it's more symptom of decline than sign of a reversal of it.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
The thing is boxing lost its appeal among sports fans because it was overtly stage managed and corrupt. Jake Paul's entire boxing 'career' so far has been if anything a culmination of those factors. People turned away because it's a circus, and now you've got this extreme version of a circus. I think you can say that sure someone like Jake Paul who can bring a pre-existing fan base into the sport is going to lead to more attention, but really you're just leaning into the WWE-ization of the sport.

Imagine if Jake Paul had decided he wanted to be an NFL or NHL player. He'd try out, get destroyed, told 'good luck', and then muck around minor leagues trying to get better before losing interest because the cameras and money wouldn't be following him. But in pro boxing 'quality' and 'status' have always been a bit of a fugazi, and gimmicks have a much better of working in a sport where there's little oversight, little professional integrity and a heavy mix-up with both show business and organized crime. Jake Paul has successfully blurred the line between boxing as a legitimate athletic endeavor and the world of "Celebrity Boxing". But even if that means there's a new crowd following boxing, it's more symptom of decline than sign of a reversal of it.
Dude got handled by Tommy Fury. Whatever blurred lines there were are now defined.

I would argue there are a lot of reasons for the sports decline. I mean there are big fights out there to be had if politics didn’t get in the way. Fury/Usyk, Crawford/Spence, Bivol/Beterbiev. Yet we will be lucky to see any of these.

I think Paul actually brought eyes to the sport again.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
I can’t tell which side is tanking the Usyk/Fury fight and I think that’s what they want.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad