Alfie... on playing at the age of 40

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
That is an amazing piece of insight, I would have never guessed how much the rule changes after 2005 were significant to an older players' career. It's unbelievable we have Alfie, thinking of how much he means to the NHL and did to Ottawa.

His interview during the Edmonton game was telling: Alfredsson is officially trippin'! :laugh: Moving to Detroit area within a few months, changing teams, etc. must have been a huge burden and as he said it is only the last week he sensed he had his bearings and was firmly with the Wings. He looks spaced out to me, I know it is his intensity but I can share in his lack of belief in this reality! :laugh:

It is a bit sad because Detroit Red Wings fans are like Daniel who? Sedins? A lot of Wings fans just don't get it. Alfredsson has already faced some harsh criticism, at least here at HF Boards. He may not get the same recognition as in the past but it is fascinating a guy at the end of his career can make a move as big as this and we are the recipients of his yearnings.

DatsyukianDeke*

He's averaging almost a PPG at 40 years old, and playing with heart (unlike Franzen) Nothing more I could have asked for. Seems he enjoys playing on a team with top end talent, instead of having to try and lead the Sens in every game.

source

Jul 13, 2008
Surprised so many were expecting Alfie to not be great. Missed the playoffs last year where he was easily Ottawa's best player?

He's such a great fit on this team that I wish we could have signed him 5 years ago. Smart, skilled, great shot, hard working and responsible on defense. For being 40 he also skates really well still.

You could see he really gave it his all against Pittsburgh, yet the Sens still lost that series 4-1. In the victory, Alfredsson was the Sens' most important player. It's understandable that he wanted to play behind Datsyuk and Zetterberg, and I expect him to be very effective in a supporting role for Detroit come the post-season.

SimplySolace

"We like our team"
Jun 30, 2013
You could see he really gave it his all against Pittsburgh, yet the Sens still lost that series 4-1. In the victory, Alfredsson was the Sens' most important player. It's understandable that he wanted to play behind Datsyuk and Zetterberg, and I expect him to be very effective in a supporting role for Detroit come the post-season.

Do you mind explaining his comments during the playoffs? Regarding how he thought they couldn't come back against PIT. Was it just frustration?

source

Jul 13, 2008
Do you mind explaining his comments during the playoffs? Regarding how he thought they couldn't come back against PIT. Was it just frustration?

They were just plain honest comments, based on what any Sens or Pens fan could tell from watching the games. But Alfredsson, despite his comments, is never one to give up.

When Pittsburgh went down like they did against the Bruins, everyone was justifiably shocked. Crosby in particular was just incredible against the Sens.

But now having the chance to play behind Datsyuk and Zetterberg, who have the capacity to outplay Crosby and Malkin on a given night, you can bet Alfredsson is more optimistic.

Here Alfredsson will feel more in control of his team's fortunes, as he is relied upon for that crucial secondary scoring.

pd123

Nov 3, 2013
Alfie needs a HAIR cut - not to BE cut - he looks like Mylie Cyrus for cris-sake

Alfie needs a HAIR cut - not to BE cut - he looks like Mylie Cyrus for cris-sake

Attachments

• Alfie and Mylie.jpg
    Alfie and Mylie.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 3

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
Ha! Mylie is the one with the scenester gender-bender hair cut. Alfredsson has always kept his hair styles fresh over the years, and a Detroit greaser undercut is a logical extension of that legacy.

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010

In a recent 1-on-1 with an Ontario journalist, Alfredsson hinted that there was more to that comment. It was frustration boiling over, it was the immense pressure of captaining an over-matched underdog.

But it could have been a slight at the overly youthful culture of Ottawa's locker room, a difference in philosophy with regards to the coaching staff as a whole, or a message to management and ownership that they simply weren't acting in good faith. Perhaps a combination of some or all of the above.

It'll come out eventually, but it's all speculation for now.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Did he not get a look with Dats and Zetts? What do you project for him this year..

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON

Seems to me like his statement is completely blown out of proportion, and at the same time alfredsson broke the cardinal rule… never tell the press the truth.

A 3-1 series leads you are in a bad position

The question was something like " is it feasible to beat pittsburgh 3 straight games"
he said "probably not"

thats the truth.

He didn't say he wouldn't try.

He will try, he just forgot for a moment that athletes are supposed to lie about things to the media all the time.

You happy being benched White? "**** no man, i don't know what these mf'ers want, I'm playing the way I always play" or something something like that… White now no longer plays in the NHL as far as I know. He may have legitimately thought he didn't deserve to be benched… but he is not allowed to say that… he did.

Wow thats a WAY worse outcome. And I didn't think white was all that bad. Not great, but would you guys switch lashoff with white???

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad