Alfie... on playing at the age of 40

alfie follower

Oct 16, 2013
ottawa
ALFREDSSON: RULE CHANGES EXTENDED MY CAREER

The Vancouver Province has some insightful comments on career longevity from 40-year-old Daniel Alfredsson. His Detroit Red Wings are in town to play the Canucks Wednesday and the quote relates both to his own career and the potential outlook for Canucks forwards Daniel and Henrik Sedin.

“I think … what happened in ’05 after the lockout, when they took away the hooking and holding and clutching and grabbing, which took a great toll on the hamstrings and took so much out of the groins and hip flexors and stuff, has helped.

Full article: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/hearsay-alfredsson-explains-career-longevity/

Last edited by a moderator:

Eastopia

Custom Title User
May 26, 2012
“You can’t just say, ‘I’ll play because I want to play.’ If you don’t put an effort into it, it’s not going to be fun and then you won’t be happy.â€

You know, he and Franzen should probably have a talk sometime. :laugh:

Detroit Sports*

I hated the moment he signed with Detroit. Would rather have signed Iginla of him.

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!
Admittedly, I rolled my eyes the moment I saw Alfredsson signed in Detroit. I am just so tired of Detroit spending a ton of money on veterans when they have so much talent and potential down in the AHL just begging to get a shot at the NHL. I considered Alfredsson an aging vet similar to Samuelsson, where the wheels probably are about to fall off and Detroit is about to be on the hook with another big salary that doesn't really help the team off.

Clearly, I was wrong about Alfredsson. He has been every bit the player we wanted Franzen to be this season. Franzen was supposed to anchor the second line, and lucky for Detroit, Alfredsson has been able to perform quite well in a 1st/2nd line role, and you can tell he works his butt off even when he isn't racking up points. After seeing Modano and Samuelsson, it makes me pretty happy to see that there are still some real good old men in the NHL!

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
I too am surprised that Alfie is flourishing as well as he has this year. I expected another Modano (who, by the way, I think would've gotten better as the season went on).

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
I dunno, not only was he old but Modano's heart clearly wasn't in it anymore. He should've retired years before he did.

Matte99

May 23, 2010
Stockholm
Alfie knows the game and you can see it when he plays. He finds open areas, slows the game down, find excellent passes and its hard to find a player with such skills as he has. Its a pity his skating cant match the rest of his abilities but thats time, something none of us can challange.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
I dunno, not only was he old but Modano's heart clearly wasn't in it anymore. He should've retired years before he did.

I think a new environment was going to do well for him, but you can't sit three months out and expect to just roar back during the playoffs.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Modano had been a shell of his former self for a while in Dallas. He was good because of his athleticism, and when that started to decline in his 30s, he didn't have a ton left that separated him from other NHLers.

Alfredsson is the most offensively gifted player we've signed since Hossa.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Modano had been a shell of his former self for a while in Dallas. He was good because of his athleticism, and when that started to decline in his 30s, he didn't have a ton left that separated him from other NHLers.

Bingo. Modano was so disinterested, the Stars didn't even ask him back. Ouch.

Don't worry, though, he signed a 1-day contract to retire a Star. All is right in the world.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Bingo. Modano was so disinterested, the Stars didn't even ask him back. Ouch.

Don't worry, though, he signed a 1-day contract to retire a Star. All is right in the world.

Going to Stars @ Sens tomorrow :naughty:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Surprised so many were expecting Alfie to not be great. Missed the playoffs last year where he was easily Ottawa's best player?

He's such a great fit on this team that I wish we could have signed him 5 years ago. Smart, skilled, great shot, hard working and responsible on defense. For being 40 he also skates really well still.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013

Yeah, Modano was at a place in his career where Detroit was able to sign him for $1.25 million. They signed Alfie for $5.5 million. Big difference.

benusmc

Feb 11, 2008
The Modano/Alfi signings are night and day. Modano was no longer wanted on Dallas and they let him go (like we should have with Cleary/Sammy). Everyone knew he was done, Wings just hoped they could squeeze a last bit of talent out. Conversely, Alfie was Ott. leader up until the point he left. Not only as a top line player, captain, but also playoff points. They just assumed he'd be back and misplayed their hands. It's shocking anyone couldn't have seen him as a massive upgrade.

Number 9*

I've been very happy with Alfie! He's everything I expected and more.

Number 9*

Here's a question? Should/would Babcock make him a healthy scratch in Ottawa?

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013

There's no way that happens. Not only is Alfredsson Detroit's 3rd best forward, but can you imagine the uproar if Alfredsson was sat for the game the hockey media's been hyping since he signed in Detroit?

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010

No, he shouldn't scratch our third best forward. Just because there might be a media circus is no reason that he should.

pd123

Nov 3, 2013
Alfredsson needs a cut

Alfredsson needs a cut - bad

Attachments

• Alfie and Mylie - 3.jpg
    Alfie and Mylie - 3.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 12

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad