Player Discussion Alexis Lafreniere

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I thought he was the 3rd star last night. He played a hell of a game.

As with the rest of the team I really wanna see this sustained great play when things tighten up starting this weekend.

I'm happy about the Pres Trophy, but that's not the real prize. Not close.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Highlight of the season for me (thus far).

For the past few years, despite our success, my concern was that it wasn’t sustainable. Our vets were getting older and our young forwards weren’t getting any better. I found it difficult to watch us get outshot 2:1 on our way to winning a game 2:1 due to a good break from Panarin.

To have us winning, not in spite of, but due to, our young players improving is just that much more satisfying.

Kakko and Chytil have to be next, followed by Perrault and Othmann and another young 1C type to be added eventually.

Reactions: ColonialsHockey10

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
This is revisionist history...
Laf didn't show flashes of anything until this year. That was the detractor's (including me) biggest gripe about him.

Even this preseason it looked like it would be more of the same with him even getting healthy scratched at least once.
It's not, he had flashes far apart. Something that stood out but it was once every 10 games, or random highlight reel things. To say he never showed it is false

Brutananadilewski

Nov 6, 2021
Wherever the keg is!
It's not, he had flashes far apart. Something that stood out but it was once every 10 games, or random highlight reel things. To say he never showed it is false

To be fair, his skating and puck carrying was questionable, only coming through against weaker teams.

I mean, everything aligned for him this season.

My 2 cents: I think he's the best puck carrier in the offensive zone on this team.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
To be fair, his skating and puck carrying was questionable, only coming through against weaker teams.

I mean, everything aligned for him this season.

My 2 cents: I think he's the best puck carrier in the offensive zone on this team.
I agree, and I was as hard on laffy as anyone but I saw it more as laziness, be that in training or on ice effort.

Edge forecasted before the draft that laffy was going to be a player that would need to prove he had the motor. He seems to have taken that step finally.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
The Lafreniere takes were some of the worst I've ever seen on this board. There were reasonable questions to be asking about his game, but that's not what was happening on here (or other social media platforms apparently).

And any pushback was met with "Lol, he sucks" and some sarcastic meme. Not a chance am I going to let today's rationalization paint my hindsight of the nonsense that was getting posted here.

Row I Goon

Nov 14, 2018
I personally went from this….

IMG_9982.gif

To this….

IMG_8663.gif

Via this….

IMG_9983.gif

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I remember I said I thought he could still be a Kyle Connor level player and was met with ridicule.

Reactions: bhamill

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Kakko and Chytil have to be next, followed by Perrault and Othmann and another young 1C type to be added eventually.
Chytil is all about just staying healthy. He was supposed to be where trocheck is. That would've been a 50-55 pt season (without pp time)
Kakko (for all I defend him) absolutely needs to get faster. He needs to increase his top end speed and his acceleration. Once he does that he will dominate. He doesn't need to get bigger, he's got a shot, and he knows how to play. He just needs to get faster.
Faster will give him just a little more separation to make the plays I see him trying to make.

With Laf in the top 6 on the right side, it did open up a middle 6 LW spot for Othmann, he can fight cuylle for.
Perrault is the following year, and if Kakko sticks, laf will have to move back to the left to make that work.

But yeah we need at least 1 high end center prospect in our system. I dont see BMB working out.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
The Lafreniere takes were some of the worst I've ever seen on this board. There were reasonable questions to be asking about his game, but that's not what was happening on here (or other social media platforms apparently).

And any pushback was met with "Lol, he sucks" and some sarcastic meme. Not a chance am I going to let today's rationalization paint my hindsight of the nonsense that was getting posted here.
Seriously. This thread was a joke before the season.

Reactions: Harbour Dog

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
I agree, and I was as hard on laffy as anyone but I saw it more as laziness, be that in training or on ice effort.

Edge forecasted before the draft that laffy was going to be a player that would need to prove he had the motor. He seems to have taken that step finally.
This idea has been posted before, but was it laziness/lack oftraining? Or lack of confidence? Or both? Lack of confidence means you're thinking (and overthinking) more and not playing intuitively. It makes sense that you would look a step behind and not moving the puck well if you're overthinking every step of it.

Like most things in life, it's probably a combination of factors.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
This idea has been posted before, but was it laziness/lack oftraining? Or lack of confidence? Or both? Lack of confidence means you're thinking (and overthinking) more and not playing intuitively. It makes sense that you would look a step behind and not moving the puck well if you're overthinking every step of it.

I never saw it as laziness. And the guy that trained him this off season, Dube, has been doing so for years. It was the same assumption as the "softball and hot dogs" narrative people were going with in preseason this year. Some people couldn't figure out why he was coming along slower than expected, so they labelled him lazy. Others said he just wasnt any good at hockey. Physical/mental maturity and confidence for sure. He put in a lot of hard work every off season and this year it really started paying dividends. Also there are levels of hard work, part of becoming a pro is finding those next levels. So maybe he has found the next level in his hard work, but that's different than saying he was "lazy." Practically NO ONE works as hard as Kreider... does that make everyone else lazy? No. There's a lot of real estate between lazy and Kreider level effort.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
PDOcast did a deep dive podcast on Laf. i nearly cried. it was such a validation of the support many of us have shown him over the last 4 years.

btw to everyone who said he was dogshit when quinn and gallant absolutely manacled his offensive confidence and production, and insist it was hindsight, you're straight up wrong. some of us saw it and believed.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004

If you aren't in shape then you cant do the things you want to do on the ice. That alone will destroy confidence at higher levels of competition. There is no one that can look at laffy this year and even suggest he isn't in better physical condition this year. In the past he was gassed after 20-25secs on most shifts and would noticeable struggle on the ice when given more mins in a game or heavy usage. He would just fall off. He has been a different player physically all year.

Anyone that has played knows that when your body starts to get tired you actually start making mental mistakes long before the physical signs of exhaustion are evident. I dont think as many people remember just how bad laffy was with the puck in the past just making stupid decisions. Suddenly this year he has more stamina, better skating, and now that confidence comes with it and a general elimination of the "stupid hockey" and you can see his expectations now are to be successful in this league.

People use to complain he didnt get more shifts in ot 3v3, yet when he did he would be GASSED after one spurt down the ice. He was prepared physically at a different level this year and he deserves credit for it!

Reactions: Grifter3511

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad