Player Discussion Alexis Lafreniere

RangersFan

Feb 27, 2002
NY, NY
Glad he's producing he still needs to play quicker. Whenever he has the puck I feel he is still deliberating too much and needs to make the play quicker. It's why his passes are still so often deflected.

I think when he figures out how to play more instinctively and quicker we will all see that noticeable "jump" in progression that we've been craving.

Reactions: JMan74

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
i used to bet on horses for many years. whenever a real longshot would win i would go through the racing program to see if i could come up with a reason or two that could explain why such a horse lit up the board. 75% of the time i could come up with an explanation. the other 25% i could not explain. 13 is like that for me.

did lavi share the same exact words with 13 as he did with staal before his 100 pt season? are these acts of gods or something diabolical drawn up by lucifer's disciples? no one on this board can say with a straight face that all these goals this kid is scoring is a byproduct of god given or hard working developed talent.

but the saying goes: it is whatever it is. personally i think what this kid does is actually kinda phenomenal. when you score the way this guy does.

hey who needs to see a skating coach? why bother on working on cardio? is there actually even a point on working on wristers and high mph slapshots? just show up and stay 10 ft or less within the goalie area and out of an 82 game schedule you might luck out in scoring in 30 of those games.
You just described 95 % of kreiders goals

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
You just described 95 % of kreiders goals
at this point in time i'm fine with that. if he can score goals more often the way he does we all should embrace it. are most of them going to be of the artisan variety like the ones executed by the usual goal scorers of the league? obviously not as already established. but hey if the guy has a knack for scoring with tap ins, god guided lucky aerial deflections like the one last night, maybe a couple of butt fumbles, and other types of freaky shit that no ones has ever thought of then yeah this guy is kreider 2.0.

Reactions: Rangers in 7

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
That was a beautiful backhand pass to Panarain. If nothing else I hope he's gaining a lot of confidence. Good start to the year for him, keep it rolling.
was also responsible for the 4 on 4 goal when he created the forecheck on Tanev. Has done that 2 or 3 times already this year and has directly led to goals. Bottom line is he is doing things now that are not showing up on the scoresheet but helping the team by creating these chances/goals.

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
For Lafreniere specifically, I'd like to see PP2 become much more than an afterthought. I was thrilled Laf got 3PPG last season, narrowly avoiding becoming the first 1OA forward in NHL draft history to never score a PPG in his first 3 seasons. But I'd like to see that second unit be much, much more, and for Laf an Chytil to take lead on that. Committing to Gustafsson, Laf, Chytil, Trocheck, and another forward (or extended Fox) would be a positive development for that unit.

Good news is the next PP after the 2nd unit scored, they were put on to start. It wasn't because the 1st unit players were on the ice when the penalty was called either. Bad news is they didn't do anything with it, lol.

Reactions: TopShelfSnipes

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Good news is the next PP after the 2nd unit scored, they were put on to start. It wasn't because the 1st unit players were on the ice when the penalty was called either. Bad news is they didn't do anything with it, lol.
True. Just hope the coach gives them more of those chances. maybe also gets the first pp to simplify things?
Also would like to see the Chytil-Laf pairing get a lot more 4 on 4 starts.

Reactions: JCProdigy

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
at this point in time i'm fine with that. if he can score goals more often the way he does we all should embrace it. are most of them going to be of the artisan variety like the ones executed by the usual goal scorers of the league? obviously not as already established. but hey if the guy has a knack for scoring with tap ins, god guided lucky aerial deflections like the one last night, maybe a couple of butt fumbles, and other types of freaky shit that no ones has ever thought of then yeah this guy is kreider 2.0.
"God guided lucky aerial deflections like the one last night"? Really? Hahahaha. That's a f***ing SKILL (as is knowing when, and how to get to the front of the net.) A skill he's apparently been working on with The Master at it, Kreider, as mentioned by Joe and Sam last night. Works on it every practice apparently. What is it with people constantly trying to downplay anything this kid does? If it's not flashy/shiny it's luck...

Reactions: romba

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
i used to bet on horses for many years. whenever a real longshot would win i would go through the racing program to see if i could come up with a reason or two that could explain why such a horse lit up the board. 75% of the time i could come up with an explanation. the other 25% i could not explain. 13 is like that for me.

did lavi share the same exact words with 13 as he did with staal before his 100 pt season? are these acts of gods or something diabolical drawn up by lucifer's disciples? no one on this board can say with a straight face that all these goals this kid is scoring is a byproduct of god given or hard working developed talent.

but the saying goes: it is whatever it is. personally i think what this kid does is actually kinda phenomenal. when you score the way this guy does.

hey who needs to see a skating coach? why bother on working on cardio? is there actually even a point on working on wristers and high mph slapshots? just show up and stay 10 ft or less within the goalie area and out of an 82 game schedule you might luck out in scoring in 30 of those games.
I think it's a product of confidence. I think a lot of people underestimate how much it matters.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
He’s been way more decisive this year and on the attack. I still think bad habits creep in.. 'thinking' of what to do instead of just intuitively playing. We can argue how he got there but imo it's evident in his play occasionally

You see it when he 'hesitates'... he trying to think of the 'right' play to make. That will never work. Hopefully he's completely free of it mid-season/year end

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
I think it's a product of confidence. I think a lot of people underestimate how much it matters.
Agreed. I've been saying this for years with Fil and KK as well. Consistent opportunity and the faith of your coaches breeds confidence.

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
True. Just hope the coach gives them more of those chances. maybe also gets the first pp to simplify things?
Also would like to see the Chytil-Laf pairing get a lot more 4 on 4 starts.
For me, with PP1, it's just keeping their feet moving and making quick decisions. I see most PK teams are, initially upon zone entry, trying to pressure and take away space to prevent setup but with quick passing around the horn, you get that space and force PK back into their diamond. You saw this on their 2nd goal last night. It's not rocket science but sometimes the Rangers try to slow the game down too much (out wait the opponent).

Reactions: bl02

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
if bread, fox, or chytil passes to 13 while he's bending over to pick up his stick and the puck hits his ass and bounces towards the net that is a goal right? there's no obscure rule that says that's an offense like a kick in or stick above the crossbar? 'cause y'know it's skillfull and all, not hodoo voodoo shit.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I’ve noticed it seems like when he has the puck on his stick more often he is still moving his feet rather than slowing down allowing defenders to close on him as easily. At least when it comes to distributing the puck he’s made more high end passes than I can remember him making prior to this year. Still needs to put more shots on net, 7 in 6 isn’t enough.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
It turns out coaching does have something to do with development.

I think Laf deserves the overwhelming majority of credit for when he plays well and produces. I really like our current coaches but our coaches can not skate fast for the players, they can not shoot well for the players, and they can not make creative passes for the players. I'm a big believer in good coaching but coaching can only do so much. That is why the same coaches that can have a 100 point team one season can also have a 70-80 point season soon after. The coaches do not forget how to coach. They coach the same. The difference is on the players usually.

Reactions: Shadowtron

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
but all kidding aside i have seen some positives in 13 this season so far.

couple of games ago for the very first time i saw him hold the puck longer than 3 seconds and actually skated with it pass the blue line.

as already been mentioned his feet are way more active. maybe even more active than his last good post season.

his passing has been accurate and crisp. on point while guys are in stride.

backhand has always been there. i would like to see if he has a wrister/slapper in his repertoire.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
I think Laf deserves the overwhelming majority of credit for when he plays well and produces. I really like our current coaches but our coaches can not skate fast for the players, they can not shoot well for the players, and they can not make creative passes for the players. I'm a big believer in good coaching but coaching can only do so much. That is why the same coaches that can have a 100 point one season can also have a 70-80 point season soon after. The coaches do not forget how to coach. They coach the same. The difference is on the players usually.
I mean yes but there’s also only so much the players can do to make the coaches actually play them. Not your fault if the coach can’t recognize you are a better option to help win a conference finals game 6 than Kevin Rooney or somebody with a non intact pelvis

Reactions: dangsLITE

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
I post a bunch about even strength production and then Laf goes and scores a PPG and his group gets put out as the first unit afterwards lol
I Wish we could see him on the left half wall but if not I think the net front suits his skillset pretty well. I really like when the net front player is used as a playmaker in the 1-3-1 and Laf seems very comfortable there. He has the skill and IQ to make reads and passes to the bumper or cross ice. This is the one element that PP1 doesn’t have at all

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
if bread, fox, or chytil passes to 13 while he's bending over to pick up his stick and the puck hits his ass and bounces towards the net that is a goal right? there's no obscure rule that says that's an offense like a kick in or stick above the crossbar? 'cause y'know it's skillfull and all, not hodoo voodoo shit.
There's no mystery or voodoo. If he drills deflecting pucks into the net with his ass then it is a skill he's developing. Much like Hank making soccer saves with his head. It's not luck if its an actual technique you work on. Pretty simple for an unbiased mind to grasp.

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
He’s been way more decisive this year and on the attack. I still think bad habits creep in.. 'thinking' of what to do instead of just intuitively playing. We can argue how he got there but imo it's evident in his play occasionally

You see it when he 'hesitates'... he trying to think of the 'right' play to make. That will never work. Hopefully he's completely free of it mid-season/year end
That's the PTSD after the two coaches before would bench him if he made the slightest mistake.

Reactions: UnSandvich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad