Player Discussion Alexis Lafreniere

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
He's getting PP2 time, he's playing with Panarin, he's playing with Chytil, he's getting primarily offensive zone starts (he's at 66%, Chytil @ 72.4% and Panarin a whopping 83.3%). If he's going to prove anything NOW is the time and 50 points is certainly doable with that LW and ^ those oZS%.

Man, Clayton Keller would've been great on this team. He's a player.
Off topic, but Gorton tried to do this, but CBJ taking PLD at 3 in 2016 threw EDM off - everyone was expecting Puljujarvi to go at that spot. He had a deal with EDM in place to move up to 4, rumored to be built around McDonagh, so they could move up and take Keller.

On topic, Laf's game against SEA is emblematic of what he needs to be playing like when he's not shooting the puck a lot. Tonight's going to be another huge challenge against CGY, so let's hope he can find a good balance between both of those extremes: his game against CBJ where he shot a lot compared to his games against BUF/SEA where he was much more active on top of the puck.

Reactions: Big Chunky Bubbles

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
It's early. He's quietly 3rd on the team in goals. His 2 EV goals are 2nd highest to Kreider's 3. His TOI is far less. He gets no PP1 time, and that's what's going to keep his points total and his goal scoring down. He has to do it all at 5v5. Not going talk about even strength as a whole because 4v4 and 3v3 he doesn't play. He has to do everything 5v5. That's not an easy task.

Trocheck while leading the forwards in ice time most night so far, all the PP1 time, he's got 1 goal. On the PP. While getting over 3 minutes per game on the PP. He's got 1 goal and 1 assist. Zibanejad hasn't scored but at least has 5 points. Fox has 5 points. Kreider has 5 points. Panarin has 7 points. Chytil has 5 points. Kakko has 2 points while getting no PP1 time...Trocheck has 2 points while getting PP1 time crammed down his throat. He needs to be off that unit, his ice time needs to be cut. Rangers best game of the season against Seattle, Trocheck's ice time was limited and the Rangers scored 4 goals. When he leads the forwards in ice time they struggle to score goals. Shocking.

He was so integral to Carolina that Carolina leads the NHL by a wide margin in time in the O zone this season. He wasn't of consequence for them. He's not for us either.

He rides coattails of better players around him. Coaches and fans love him because he skates around like a chicken with its head cut off. But he's ineffective in the offensive zone. He has no hands, he has no shot. Plain and simple. Put my grandmother on PP1 over an 82 game sample size with Panarin, Zibanejad, Kreider, and Fox and she'll score 60 points in a season.

Lafreniere should be on PP1. Having a left handed shot in the high slot for Zibanejad to set up from the left wall makes the PP less predictable. As it stands now only the left side of the ice is shooting. Too predictable. Too many right handed shots. The only left handed shot is standing in front of the goaltender (Kreider). Put Laf, in the "bumper" spot, let Zibanejad set him up.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
It's early. He's quietly 3rd on the team in goals. His 2 EV goals are 2nd highest to Kreider's 3. His TOI is far less. He gets no PP1 time, and that's what's going to keep his points total and his goal scoring down. He has to do it all at 5v5. Not going talk about even strength as a whole because 4v4 and 3v3 he doesn't play. He has to do everything 5v5. That's not an easy task.

Trocheck while leading the forwards in ice time most night so far, all the PP1 time, he's got 1 goal. On the PP. While getting over 3 minutes per game on the PP. He's got 1 goal and 1 assist. Zibanejad hasn't scored but at least has 5 points. Fox has 5 points. Kreider has 5 points. Panarin has 7 points. Chytil has 5 points. Kakko has 2 points while getting no PP1 time...Trocheck has 2 points while getting PP1 time crammed down his throat. He needs to be off that unit, his ice time needs to be cut. Rangers best game of the season against Seattle, Trocheck's ice time was limited and the Rangers scored 4 goals. When he leads the forwards in ice time they struggle to score goals. Shocking.

He was so integral to Carolina that Carolina leads the NHL by a wide margin in time in the O zone this season. He wasn't of consequence for them. He's not for us either.

He rides coattails of better players around him. Coaches and fans love him because he skates around like a chicken with its head cut off. But he's ineffective in the offensive zone. He has no hands, he has no shot. Plain and simple. Put my grandmother on PP1 over an 82 game sample size with Panarin, Zibanejad, Kreider, and Fox and she'll score 60 points in a season.

Lafreniere should be on PP1. Having a left handed shot in the high slot for Zibanejad to set up from the left wall makes the PP less predictable. As it stands now only the left side of the ice is shooting. Too predictable. Too many right handed shots. The only left handed shot is standing in front of the goaltender (Kreider). Put Laf, in the "bumper" spot, let Zibanejad set him up.
The problem with this is that Laf is allergic to shooting. On the rare occasion that he does shoot, he never beats goalies. I'd prefer Chytil in that spot.

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
i used to bet on horses for many years. whenever a real longshot would win i would go through the racing program to see if i could come up with a reason or two that could explain why such a horse lit up the board. 75% of the time i could come up with an explanation. the other 25% i could not explain. 13 is like that for me.

did lavi share the same exact words with 13 as he did with staal before his 100 pt season? are these acts of gods or something diabolical drawn up by lucifer's disciples? no one on this board can say with a straight face that all these goals this kid is scoring is a byproduct of god given or hard working developed talent.

but the saying goes: it is whatever it is. personally i think what this kid does is actually kinda phenomenal. when you score the way this guy does.

hey who needs to see a skating coach? why bother on working on cardio? is there actually even a point on working on wristers and high mph slapshots? just show up and stay 10 ft or less within the goalie area and out of an 82 game schedule you might luck out in scoring in 30 of those games.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
He was a sloppy mess out there, so he has a ton of room to grow as a player. If he can score 3 goals in 6 games when he's playing this poorly, the skies the limit. :)

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Playing this poorly… haha what?

He is playing well. Working hard. And thus he is getting chances.
I thought he was "okay" tonight but he's out of position a lot and he's scared to shoot. The former will get better and I don't understand the latter.

Presumably the 43% shooting percentage isn't going to last, but he's moving his feet and being proactive. I liked his game tonight.
Fair enough. :)

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
Really has 5 points 6 games.

Yup i'm counting his sweet assist on the BS offside callback, and the assist they took away from him the second game that 99% of the time the league gives out.

What a start!
Never mind the no assist on creating the whole play that led to Panarin’s first goal against Seattle, and the breakaway he sent Chytil on. Could easily have 3/4/7 right now.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I think back to how I thought when Gallant was hired he had something to do with the development of Barkov and Huberdeau.

How does the front office not get a coaching staff to develop their kids from Day 1?

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Laf made a nifty seeing eye behind the back pass to Panarin in the 1st that Artemi missed on. He also got the tip in goal. I think he's still adapting a bit to RW. He's not getting enough shots. 7 in 6 games but he's not the only one. The Rangers aren't a volume shooting team anyway and again new position for him.

The team has played well the last couple games. We're not getting tons of goals but we got enough. Winning is the main thing.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
I think back to how I thought when Gallant was hired he had something to do with the development of Barkov and Huberdeau.

How does the front office not get a coaching staff to develop their kids from Day 1?
The Rangers were just in a different situation than most teams. They also have a different developmental philosophy. You can disagree with that philosophy, but that’s the reason. I think that at first, management cared more about KK and AL developing defensive games. Honestly, you can see a difference. Both players have numerous takeaways at the offensive blue line this year. But yeah, developing them as high end offensive players has not been a focus of the org

Reactions: Rangers in 7

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad