Alexis Lafreniere vs Kaapo Kakko

Who will be better?

• Alexis Lafreniere

• Kaapo Kakko

Results are only viewable after voting.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Kakko. I feel like his offense will start coming at some point and even if it what was expected of him when he was a prospect and it's like 50-60 pts that's still really good with his defensive impact.

If cocko is only gonna be a 55 point player and Lafreniere is worse than that, the Rangers are screwed...god help us

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
I think they'll both be good in different ways. Right now, I do think Kakko is closer to putting it all together.

I'd expect Lafreniere to be the better offensive player. He's had flashes where he makes some great moves to get himself into the right spots or makes some very nice passes.

Kakko plays much more of a 2-way game, and when he's on the line with Panarin and Strome, he almost plays like a center as Strome tends to skate down to the goal line.

Reactions: Zats Muccarello

Dutronc

May 14, 2018
And you don't trust Kakko's? Dude was a pretty unreal prospect and is showing signs that he's starting to put it together.
Nah I know Kakko is a great young player. I just dont see as many elite skills in him than Lafrenière. But its just my take on this pool ! Feel free to have your!

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Kakko, he is still bit timid out there and might even still be bit scared to try making plays and always looking to make the safest choice. Once he gets comfortable and starts to believe in his ability and strength, he can bully defenders.

Crazy high potential, only thing that worries me is that he ends up being only bit better Armia. They have quite alot in common, both are big wingers who like to hold on to the puck, are good in tight and were drafted for their offense but have so far mostly impressed with their two-way play.

Lafreniere’s best asset was supposed to be his hockey brain, but so far there have been very little flashes of that. Really doesn’t have the elite tools that some other prospects have. His skating, physical play, hands, shot are all good, but not one of them is elite. If he can’t process the NHL style of hockey like he did junior, he is not going to be a elite NHL player.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

bondra

Jan 18, 2019
Nah I know Kakko is a great young player. I just dont see as many elite skills in him than Lafrenière. But its just my take on this pool ! Feel free to have your!

I think Kakko has been the one who has shown atleast some flashes about something. Laf not so much.

bondra

Jan 18, 2019
Hard to say which one will be better because both are missing so much from their game at the moment and both have great potential.

MarVell

Jan 10, 2014
No 20 year old is a bust yet. Also he’s much better than Laf so if Kakko’s a bust then the other has to be to
He will bust. Is that better for you?
Maybe Laf will too, But I’m not fully convinced yet.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Hard to say. I`d say Laf has a lot more offensive upside. He is either a star or bust. Kakko will be a good NHLer and theres less chance he will bust, when he already is defensively responsible and good at it. Hard to say if he will be a star though. Kakko is the sure bet, but Lafreniere has potential to be better.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Rangers fans seem to be happy with Kakko this year, so that might skew the poll a little bit. But how did Kakko's rookie and sophomore year compare to Lafreniere at this point? (Who is playing as a sophomore atm)

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Rangers fans seem to be happy with Kakko this year, so that might skew the poll a little bit. But how did Kakko's rookie and sophomore year compare to Lafreniere at this point? (Who is playing as a sophomore atm)

Kakko's rookie year was let's just say less than ideal. He was analytically the worst player the league had seen since the numbers started being tracked since 07-08 and it wasn't close either. There was a big turnaround to his sophomore year. He was a bit of analytical darling especially defensively. The production still of course wasn't there.

Laf's offensive playdriving looks pretty good. He's bad defensively. His overall WAR value here is propped up heavily by his finishing. His finishing is propped up by his crazy high SH% which is a result of him not really taking shots unless they're great chances

Laf was far better as a rookie because Kakko was unfathomably bad but Kakko saw some crazy progression to his sophomore year and was better than Laf's been this year.

Reactions: Felidae

bondra

Jan 18, 2019

Kakko has been Rangers best player for two seasons now if we look advanced stats. His xG is 4th in the team at the moment and his 1st in CF%.

Rangers as a team is pretty interesting because Kakko's CF% is 49,3. Still Rangers are doing great.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad