Player Discussion Alexis Lafrenière

Status
Not open for further replies.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Phil Kessel is fat and over his career had an argument for the best skating forward, and the best skating forward with the puck on his stick, in the whole league over that time.

That should really be the end of discussion
So you're saying Laffy needs more hot dogs to level up to Kessel skating?

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230724_204314_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20230724_204314_Google.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 3

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Phil Kessel is fat and over his career had an argument for the best skating forward, and the best skating forward with the puck on his stick, in the whole league over that time.

Kessel was a freak athlete and not "normal"

Reactions: duhmetreE

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

Or we can say Phil was an outlier not the norm among the best skaters in the NHL. Phil was a good skater. Best skating fwd? I think that is a stretch. Phil to his credit dropped some weight during the time he played for Pitt after getting pretty round in his last years in Toronto.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Phil was drafted with this scouting report.

First thing mentioned was his speed. He was always a good skater, with pace to his game. He had that foundation going into the league. This was something that was a question for Laf, as it was one of the only knocks on him going into that draft. Some scouts weren't sure how that part of his game would translate to the NHL.

Ill be the first to say that body type doesnt predict athletic ability. There were several threads/discussions about that in the past regarding Buchnevich and others. Its never the end all be all. in fact, the mental makeup is usually whats the most important. There are all sorts of different shapes and sizes in all hockey rooms, including the NHL.

To me, at the pro level its more about a frame of mind and not resting on your laurels. Some guys can get away with it, naturally being competitive. They just "have it". But regardless, theres always a lot of work required to maintain your craft.

In Lafs case, despite being the unanimous 1OA its obvious he needed to work on some things and still does, mainly his skating and pace. The fat part is silliness and thats where it ends. We had the same fun with Kakko too.

Last edited:
Reactions: duhmetreE

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Still has not signed his 2.5 mil bridge deal??? What’s he waiting for.
Trying to see if it can be paid in Nathans?

Just a joke. I do not view him as fat. There is a difference between being fat and being in top game shape.

Reactions: bhamill

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.

First thing mentioned was his speed. He was always a good skater, with pace to his game. He had that foundation going into the league. This was something that was a question for Laf, as it was one of the only knocks on him going into that draft. Some scouts weren't sure how that part of his game would translate to the NHL.

Ill be the first to say that body type doesnt predict athletic ability. There were several threads/discussions about that in the past regarding Buchnevich and others. Its never the end all be all. in fact, the mental makeup is usually whats the most important. There are all sorts of different shapes and sizes in all hockey rooms, including the NHL.

To me, at the pro level its more about a frame of mind and not resting on your laurels. Some guys can get away with it, naturally being competitive. They just "have it". But regardless, theres always a lot of work required to maintain your craft.

In Lafs case, despite being the unanimous 1OA its obvious he needed to work on some things and still does, mainly his skating and pace. The fat part is silliness and thats where it ends. We had the same fun with Kakko too.
That report also lists him as a left handed center, but I digress.

Laf is a fat f***. Prove me wrong.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Kessel could have been a McDavid-tier talent ( if not better, he was that physically gifted ) IF he would have worked as hard as a McDavid

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
He's playing in the top 9 with good players. You make it sound like he was stapled to a line with Ryan Reeves. He was up at the top of the list for ev ice time last season, got more than Kreider. And the worst part was, when he wasn't scoring, he was invisible out there. You can still impact the game without scoring. Maybe start with that.

See: produce and get more ice time, since the dawn of time.

"Produce and get more ice time" is a wonderful sentiment except that is not how it ever works with top picks.

Players like Hughes or Stutzle never earned their ice time by being productive. They both started their careers on their first PP units despite being spectacularly unproductive (and in Hughes case spectacularly unlucky) as rookies at both 5v5 and on the PP. Neither were productive at 5v5 as sophomores either. Lafreniere, who has never exactly lit the world on fire, outproduced both of them in their rookie and sophomore years at 5v5 and was rewarded with less than half their PP ice time.

And its not just those two prospects. Its pretty much every top prospect going back.

So, again, we are doing things different and expecting the same results.

You want him to breakout like other top prospects? Then deploy him like one. Put him and leave him on a line with productive veterans. Get him out there as much as possible with Fox or D men who can move the puck. Put him and keep him on the first PP unit. Fix the teams crazy transition issues where everyone looks like they are skating in mud. Treat him like an important piece to the offensive puzzle and see if he performs like one.

You want him to continue to do produce like a mediocre journeyman? Keep playing him with streaky young players or bouncing him around lines. Keep deploying him and the kids 40% of the time with Schneider and another D man who can't move the puck. Have him stand in front of the net on our dysfunctional 2nd PP unit. Keep treating the transition issues like they don't exist and sign more d-men who can't move the puck. Treat him like a role player who needs to not make any mistakes to get ice time and watch him act like one.

Reactions: Vaheh and IDvsEGO

ReddestRum

Sad even when winning
Dec 19, 2013
I just don't understand how the Laf cheerleaders get wrapped up with single year EV stats vice production as a whole and continue to find mathematical miracles in order to put Laf on the same pedestal as Hughes, Stuts, Mack because of his 3rd line EV stats. Like, how can you actually sit there and justify your comparison knowing that the players you've compared Laf to were team leaders who, yes, did get top minutes and PP time, but they did so on shit teams. Despite their production as rookies and D+2 seasons, people looked at Hughes and Mack and said these guys are going to be superstars. People called it and they were right. I'm not talking about the pundits looking at players pre-draft, but after their first few seasons, you knew these players were something special.

However, this fanbase continues to believe that superstardom in the NHL isn't an inherent skill but is somehow gained by f***ing PP1 and top minutes force-feeding. It's embarrassing to be a fan of this org sometimes and I can only imagine other fanbases peeking in this thread to have the "LAF" of their lives when we compare our average players to the league's best.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008

Was thinking about using that graphic for my own avatar haha.

I've close-cropped mine to match.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Bit OT but Kessel dominates a chapter or two in Joyce's "Future Greats and Heartbreaks" book and it's quite interesting to read about how he viewed leading up to the draft and at the combine.

Probably the most unfairly criticized player ever. As a prospect and as a pro.

Hope he gets a chance to catch on somewhere and breaks 1000 points next year.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I don't believe being force fed easy minutes on the PP has any correlation to a players success or development at 5v5. There are plenty of players in the league who are strong 5v5 producers, and look good doing it, that get minimal PP time. If the Rangers score 70 PPG on the year why does it possibly matter if Laf gets points on 20 of them vs if someone else, say Wheeler, gets points on 20 of them? It's the same production for the team. We don't need to artificially boost his numbers to feel better about his stats. If he's on the top unit and plays well, sure, then he should be here but solely for the purpose to make his stats look better? I don't think so.

For reference, and I'm just using raw numbers because it's easier to do quickly, Bunting, Hischier, Hoffman, Larkin, Robertson, Hayes, DeBrusk, Mercer, Jarvis, Lee, Johnston all scored 40+ points in their rookie year with under 10 PPP. I don't see that having harmed their development. I'd look into 2nd/3rd year players too but it's too time consuming to do manually.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

Kessel is also literally the most in shape player of all time. He's played in every one of his teams' games since 2010 which is an all-time record.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I don't believe being force fed easy minutes on the PP has any correlation to a players success or development at 5v5. There are plenty of players in the league who are strong 5v5 producers, and look good doing it, that get minimal PP time. If the Rangers score 70 PPG on the year why does it possibly matter if Laf gets points on 20 of them vs if someone else, say Wheeler, gets points on 20 of them? It's the same production for the team. We don't need to artificially boost his numbers to feel better about his stats. If he's on the top unit and plays well, sure, then he should be here but solely for the purpose to make his stats look better? I don't think so.

For reference, and I'm just using raw numbers because it's easier to do quickly, Bunting, Hischier, Hoffman, Larkin, Robertson, Hayes, DeBrusk, Mercer, Jarvis, Lee, Johnston all scored 40+ points in their rookie year with under 10 PPP. I don't see that having harmed their development. I'd look into 2nd/3rd year players too but it's too time consuming to do manually.
There's also plenty of players where "but look how much they scored 5v5" is a legitimate argument. Lafreniere scores at a slightly above ok rate at even strength and drives play in the wrong direction. More powerplay time isn't the magic fix when he isn't that good at even strength.

Reactions: ReddestRum

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Hotdog and burger Phil 1st NHL player to play 1000 consecutive games. Insane.
Body fat is the best source of energy there is. When Michael Phelps was an active competitor, he ate two pizzas a day.

There is, at some point, a correlation between body fat and being out of shape, but it's far from a perfect correlation.

You know who else could play all f***ing night in his day? Dustin Byfuglien.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad