Player Discussion Alexis Lafrenière

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
If you think it's just ice time that's keeping Laff from being all he can be, we'll just have to disagree. And Fox was gonna be a star regardless of who was in front of him. His talent is undeniable, Laff's not so much.

You don't think the organization has sat him down at the end of every season and told him what they'd like him to work, where he needs to improve? Do you think they're holding resources back from the kid? These guys are pros, no one holds your hand. Go workout with Kreider in the off season, go work out with another NHL guy like Kakko does in the offseason. Amazing Kreiderman basically just said he knows people that know the kid and he doesn't take training seriously. What more do you want the Rangers to do? These excuses are mind numbing. I just happened to watch Jack Hughes highlights, if you think the difference between Laff and him is simply a matter of PP time or line mates, you're crazy

I scouted the kid pre junior and all of what you are saying is nonsense

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
The narrative that Laf is sitting around eating hot dogs has to stop, it's based on nothing and ridiculous
iu

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Let me just say that I am about a 10x larger fan of poutine than I am of Lafreniere.

In fact, I regret checking this thread because the only takeaway that I’ve gotten is that I want poutine now.

The thread is going in a circle with the same discussions, This is what is expected as we enter the dog days of summer. I'm also trying to avoid the Kreider vs Laf debates.

Reactions: Shadowtron

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Seriously though we have to tone down the fat jokes. But that was a good one, lol
I like Laffy. Still think he could develop into a great player.... if he starts taking it seriously.

There's a lot of smoke around the 'commitment' he has right now. When Vally goes on Live TV and singles him out, there has to be a known issue. He's enjoying the lifestyle as a young man. I get it. Can we blame him? probably not. He's young and has money in NYC/Montreal. That's a combo that A LOT of us would struggle with similarly.

I think he's distracted and not getting proper guidance. He's not thinking long term or investing his time/effort for the long term. He needs to be the best version of himself... and I just don't believe he is.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I honestly have no clue what Laf is or is not eating. No idea why this thread became about hotdogs. I just wish he would post some videos of him skating and working out on the ice. I have seen it for months from football players. I would get excited to see Laf preparing hard for camp. No video does not mean he is not doing it but a video would help fans get excited that he is taking things seriously in the offseason.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I like Laffy. Still think he could develop into a great player.... if he starts taking it seriously.

There's a lot of smoke around the 'commitment' he has right now. When Vally goes on Live TV and singles him out, there has to be a known issue. He's enjoying the lifestyle as a young man. I get it. Can we blame him? probably not. He's young and has money in NYC/Montreal. That's a combo that A LOT of us would struggle with similarly.

I think he's distracted and not getting proper guidance. He's not thinking long term or investing his time/effort for the long term. He needs to be the best version of himself... and I just don't believe he is.

As I said above, the Laf and Kreider debate about him being on the top line over him has turned me off. I don't care about ES points. Kreider should be with Mika on opening day. If Laf outplays him down the stretch then make the swap. He has not earned anything to be gifted a Top line slot.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Regarding the fitness thing, I don't care if he's fat.

I have been told by very good sources that I trust, who I know have a lot of knowledge about this, that it's good for hockey players to have a bit of chunk.

Other sports slow down but hockey is a prolonged sprint. By the third period, these guys are feeding on their own bodies. If you have no body fat, you're not gonna have stamina doing the type of exercise pro hockey is.

I care that he sucks.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012

I have been told by very good sources that I trust, who I know have a lot of knowledge about this, that it's good for hockey players to have a bit of chunk.

Other sports slow down but hockey is a prolonged sprint. By the third period, these guys are feeding on their own bodies. If you have no body fat, you're not gonna have stamina doing the type of exercise pro hockey is.

I care that he sucks.
True, having some body fat doesn't mean you aren't strong and don't have good cardio. I think everyone just wants him working hard to improve.

Reactions: yada

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
I honestly have no clue what Laf is or is not eating. No idea why this thread became about hotdogs. I just wish he would post some videos of him skating and working out on the ice. I have seen it for months from football players. I would get excited to see Laf preparing hard for camp. No video does not mean he is not doing it but a video would help fans get excited that he is taking things seriously in the offseason.
nah. i don't care about the skating and ice rink workouts. i'd rather see a video of him eating. that way i can get to go,"mmmmmm that looks so good!!!! i think i'll have some of that tomorrow." i also want to see the menu that he is ordering from.

also it will also verify whether or not if he's just only eating poutine and hotdogs.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

I care that he sucks.
There are no absolutes but when I played out of shape it felt like I was skating around with skate weights or a 5 pound weight around my waist. Not saying players should have 5% body fat or anything extreme but being out of shape will kill a playoff team faster than anything but injuries imo.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
This.

Ill quote Torts here. He would always talk about the young kids (Cally, Dubinsky, etc.) learning how to "be a pro". It encompasses everything, including diet and exercise. Foremost, its a mindset.

This is Lafreniere's 4th season. He's not exactly a vet at the age of 21, but he's been in the NHL long enough to know what it takes to improve on and off the ice. The thing with Laf is I dont see it as a priority, at this moment. Now he very well may be doing everything behind closed doors but if he was obsessed with it all like Bedard, you would definitely see more content of such online.

Maybe it will take him longer to sink into it. I think the dedication to all aspects diet and training yields great results, especially for a young man that has so much natural talent. The sooner you start it the better (especially the skating part) but once he gets all of the partying and being young out of his system (not implying that he is partying too much) it could click and he could get real serious by 23-24 and still take off with his skill set. Sometimes kids just have to be kids and its a maturity thing. I dont think he's completely immature, hes a bit of a goofball, but hes smart. He may just be soaking it all in now and that stuff isnt the full priority right now. Learning to be a pro.

On a personal note, I played college hockey and it wasnt until my junior/senior year when I really started taking off-ice training and exercise seriously. By then my "career" was pretty much over, although you dont think of it that way when you are in the moment. Before that I was just living it up, very careless. I think its all about becoming a man and it's different for every individual. It wasnt until men's league in my 30s when i started taking diet seriously as well, but that was also about 15 years ago when all of it was becoming more mainstream. I felt that if I had made that a priority when I was younger, I would've been a lot better.

Laf has everything at his fingertips. Money and training resources shouldn't be an issue. Its all about priorities and becoming a man.

Last edited:

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
it's been a real long thursday morning working remotely at home. so out of curiosity i decided to search places to eat in montreal. just based on looking at the pictures i'm real jealous. if a few of these places were operating in nyc i'd be on my way to making an appearance on that my 600 pound life tv show. chalet bar-b-q looks real good, especially with spit-roasted bird on its menu.

after seeing what i just saw there' no way laffy is eating hot dogs n poutine - that shit he would just throw in the garbage.

Reactions: HockeyBasedNYC

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Honestly, I knew about Laf’s gut and penchant for gluttony before he was even drafted, but I thought it wouldn’t be an issue for us because Pommes Frites literally exploded in 2015:

Did this place ever come back? Hands down best drunk food ever.
Loved that place

Edit: so, from research, they moved to another location, in West Village, after the original got leveled.

Combining Pommes Frites with Paul's burgers was heaven.

Last edited:
Reactions: Synergy27

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008

I care that he sucks.
Finished a Dark Side of the Ring episode on Bam Bam Bigelow yesterday. He was fat by any definition and he was faster and more agile than a lot of guys.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
This.

Ill quote Torts here. He would always talk about the young kids (Cally, Dubinsky, etc.) learning how to "be a pro". It encompasses everything, including diet and exercise. Foremost, its a mindset.

This is Lafreniere's 4th season. He's not exactly a vet at the age of 21, but he's been in the NHL long enough to know what it takes to improve on and off the ice. The thing with Laf is I dont see it as a priority, at this moment. Now he very well may be doing everything behind closed doors but if he was obsessed with it all like Bedard, you would definitely see more content of such online.

Maybe it will take him longer to sink into it. I think the dedication to all aspects diet and training yields great results, especially for a young man that has so much natural talent. The sooner you start it the better (especially the skating part) but once he gets all of the partying and being young out of his system (not implying that he is partying too much) it could click and he could get real serious by 23-24 and still take off with his skill set. Sometimes kids just have to be kids and its a maturity thing. I dont think he's completely immature, hes a bit of a goofball, but hes smart. He may just be soaking it all in now and that stuff isnt the full priority right now. Learning to be a pro.

On a personal note, I played college hockey and it wasnt until my junior/senior year when I really started taking off-ice training and exercise seriously. By then my "career" was pretty much over, although you dont think of it that way when you are in the moment. Before that I was just living it up, very careless. I think its all about becoming a man and it's different for every individual. It wasnt until men's league in my 30s when i started taking diet seriously as well, but that was also about 15 years ago when all of it was becoming more mainstream. I felt that if I had made that a priority when I was younger, I would've been a lot better.

Laf has everything at his fingertips. Money and training resources shouldn't be an issue. Its all about priorities and becoming a man.
The irony of all this working out talk is Laf's lottery pick night. Does anyone else remember a big point made on Laf's lottery pick night was that he was working out on his own in his garage despite the pandemic?

Anyone that plays the game knows there is nothing like on ice skating if possible. Office is helpful but skating skating and skating on ice can do so much to improve a guys stamina nevermind his skills. If I could speak to Drury I would ask if there was anyway they could encourage our younger players to spend their summers with power skating coaches.

Reactions: HockeyBasedNYC

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
This.

He also may have not experienced those certain aspects of life and is compensating for it now.. He was 18-19 during the shutdowns. Hopefully he’s just getting it out of his system

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Phil Kessel is fat and over his career had an argument for the best skating forward, and the best skating forward with the puck on his stick, in the whole league over that time.

That should really be the end of discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad