Player Discussion Alexis Lafrenière: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Wait, wait, wait. Hold up a minute. I thought he was ruined? I thought that he was not allowed to play a game that he was comfortable with? I mean just the other day, weren't there speculations as to how Stutzle was being developed properly by letting him do what he wants while Lafreniere and Kakko were being turned into grinders? Wasn't Stutzle the better player? What is going on?

Your act has grown old a REALLY long time ago.

Edit: He's getting top 6 time with not the corpse of Mika and lo and behold he's producing. Took Quinn long enough.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Yeah chicken or egg. Maybe he wasn't ready in week 2 of the season, but there's a lot of games between then and now. The last time he was on Buchnevich's line he had a four game point streak. Was he really not ready or is he finally getting the minutes that allow him to play to his strengths (ie. putting up points)? It doesn't really matter in the end, as long as he stays where he now obviously belongs.

Kaapo Hollweg

Jun 21, 2019
Laf is a jedi, confirmed.
laf.jpg

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Next season I'd like to see him put in Strome's spot on PP1.

Would be really good for his development. I like Strome but he's one of the veterans (Along with Kreider) whose role should be reduced a bit as we cycle in the kids for more responsibility.

Let Strome be the faceoff man on pp2, with Kakko, Buch, Kravtsov, and Trouba rounding out the group, assuming Jones starts in the AHL.

mulli25

Jun 25, 2008
NJ

Edit: He's getting top 6 time with not the corpse of Mika and lo and behold he's producing. Took Quinn long enough.

If you don't think his individual level of play has improved substantially, and this is just a result of his line mates and usage, I honestly don't know what to tell you.

We can see through Kravstov what it looks like when a young player is ready to contribute at a higher level, but stuck in a limited role. For most of the season, Laf didn't look like that.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Tell me. Do you know the story about the pot and the kettle?
So is he or is he not developing?

Cleary if all it took was to play with a top line center, one can ass-u-me that the answer is no as the sole reason for any success is Mika being a top line center.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Next season I'd like to see him put in Strome's spot on PP1.

Would be really good for his development. I like Strome but he's one of the veterans (Along with Kreider) whose role should be reduced a bit as we cycle in the kids for more responsibility.

Let Strome be the faceoff man on pp2, with Kakko, Buch, Kravtsov, and Trouba rounding out the group, assuming Jones starts in the AHL.

If Quinn's still here there's no way he's doing it, he wasn't even in Blackwell's spot until recently.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
If you don't think his individual level of play has improved substantially, and this is just a result of his line mates and usage, I honestly don't know what to tell you.

We can see through Kravstov what it looks like when a young player is ready to contribute at a higher level, but stuck in a limited role. For most of the season, Laf didn't look like that.

His play HAS improved but it has improved before the switch was made and while Kreider was sucking ass on that line.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
If his play improved before the switch, then why allude to it improving by playing with the team's #1 center?

Again, if he is improving, is he or is he not developing as a player?

#1 overall in a strong draft improves slower than expected in play. Thanks Quinn, you're amazing!

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
There was nothing of that being done, Mr. "McDavid would only have 40 points under Quinn". When told what circumstances Lafreniere came into the league, it was much easier to ignore what possible effects that could have on a teenage rookie and just blame the coaching staff.

Weird how those circumstances didn't affect other rookies

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
#1 overall in a strong draft improves slower than expected in play. Thanks Quinn, you're amazing!
Who from his draft class is playing better?

When talking about expectations, whose are we talking about? Yours? Which previously #1 started his NHL career after not getting on the ice for 10 months, having a 2 week camp and not a single exhibition game? Because, see when comparing him to previous players taken first, you are making very strong efforts to pretend that the circumstances for all were homogenous. That is understandable from your point of view because acknowledging them deflates your argument like a pin in a balloon.

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
:laugh:
No wind up, it was a one timer snapshot not slapshot
If you watch highlights of all his goals (including juniors) he essentially never takes slapshots, he should work his ass off on skating & adding a slapshot to his répétiteur this summer
If his snapshot is as good as an above average NHL slap shot, I really don't see the issue...

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
I'm sorry but anyone that things Laf's issues at the beginning of the season was due to being in the bottom 6 didn't see how overwhelmed this kid was with the pace of the game. I don't care if he's a first overall pick, the kid was barely head above water. The kid we have seen over the last month+ is miles ahead of what the January Laf was doing.

I'm not a fan of Quinn, but I think he has done the right thing with how he has eased him in. In fact my issue with Quinn is no longer about development but rather personnel choices, in game management, lack of strategy, and poor preparation heading into games games. But when it comes to player development, it is hard to argue with some of the results we are starting to get. He just sucks at everything else.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
With our next coach, I'd love for him to get the edge sharpened on Lafreniere.

He's a fire hydrant on skates. He can and should smesh people

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
He is also a candidate who during the first deep playoff run has the longest beard.

If it was baseball instead of hockey and he was Cuban instead of Canadian, I’d say his birth certificate was doctored by like 5 years at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad