Player Discussion Alexis Lafrenière: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
I just want the excuses to stop.

He's been a massive disappointment.

Alexander Daige produced more. I mean I haven't confirmed that but it's a safe bet.

Hope he can turn it around.
Guys like Alex Daigle and Nail Yakupov had fairly strong D+1 years and ended up being who they were while guys like Jumbo Joe stunk his first few years in the league and is a first ballot hofer. Morale of the story is its only been 15 goddamn games, they won’t make or break him have some patience

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
I understand when we drafted him he was expected to be a line driver.

But who can we pair him with that will help him get him going?

Ziba is a blackhole.
Strome has a steel chain wrapped around Panarin's ankle.
Howden is certainly not the answer.
Rooney and the misfit 4th line has played well in their role.

Player big P

no more striptease no more flashes
Feb 4, 2010
Prague
151090250_10208405287167965_1332806680621963889_o.jpg

151697462_10208405287407971_5709601150785110142_o.jpg
I ain't learned enough to know how to read them fancy charts but I'm assuming them bars what's red and going down is bad

rdhstlr23

Feb 21, 2013
Guys like Alex Daigle and Nail Yakupov had fairly strong D+1 years and ended up being who they were while guys like Jumbo Joe stunk his first few years in the league and is a first ballot hofer. Morale of the story is its only been 15 goddamn games, they won’t make or break him have some patience

Comparing wingers to centers isn’t a good exercise in general. Centers tend to take a little longer to start producing points, e.g Joe Thornton. I know it took Ryan O’Reilly some time too.

rdhstlr23

Feb 21, 2013
I just want the excuses to stop.

He's been a massive disappointment.

Alexander Daige produced more. I mean I haven't confirmed that but it's a safe bet.

Hope he can turn it around.

He has been a disappointment. I don’t know why people get mad when some say that too.

The kid was the prohibitive Calder favorite and he’s not close. He was supposed to be an immediate impact player, and he isn’t.

I’m not ready to call him a bust, though. With LaFreniere, it is only 15 games. He could just as easily go on a hot streak these next 15 games too.

I believe in his pedigree too much.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I understand when we drafted him he was expected to be a line driver.

But who can we pair him with that will help him get him going?

Ziba is a blackhole.
Strome has a steel chain wrapped around Panarin's ankle.
Howden is certainly not the answer.
Rooney and the misfit 4th line has played well in their role.
Chytil

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Gordon Bombay

Remptar
Oct 13, 2006
It does seem like he's out there thinking too much. Trying to be in the right space, deferring to teammates to not be selfish. Sometimes these young guys just need to go out there and play with nothing on the mind.

IMO he has his whole career to learn defensive positioning. Take the reigns off and let him skate the puck in, let him show some of that world class talent. Wouldn't hurt to see what he could do on that PP1 either.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
People are nuts. The guy wasn’t coming from the KHL or SHL. Yea, his seasons in the Q were impressive but he was a teen doing it against kids he was worlds better than. He hasn’t played in ten months before he started playing here. He didn’t even have a traditional training camp with traverse city and then preseason games. I’m more concerned with the 1C because if he isn’t going to rebound this year, this sets the organization back because now they’ll need TWO centers. The LW making $6.5M not putting out to the max and being invisible but commenting on effort postgame with the team is also a disaster, more than a 19 year old prospect that if I could bet money will have a significantly better career than Chris Kreider will.

Reactions: RussianRocket96

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Honestly, the whole team can't score for shit. If it was just him i would be more worried. I think once we start actually scoring his numbers will look better. I do want to see him back with Chytil though

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Gonna love to read this thread in the future. Peak HF Boards material.
I mean, let’s hope you are right. You are almost definitely going to be right. But to expect diehard fans to be completely fine with the franchise’s first ever 1OA draft pick not scoring a real point in his first fifteen games is just crazy.

This isn’t peak HF Boards. It’s a bunch of Ranger fans who are used to not having nice things growing more and more concerned that we’re simply not allowed to have nice things.

This kid is having an unprecedentedly bad start to his career. Concern is absolutely warranted at this point.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I mean, let’s hope you are right. You are almost definitely going to be right. But to expect diehard fans to be completely fine with the franchise’s first ever 1OA draft pick not scoring a real point in his first fifteen games is just crazy.

This isn’t peak HF Boards. It’s a bunch of Ranger fans who are used to not having nice things growing more and more concerned that we’re simply not allowed to have nice things.

This kid is having an unprecedentedly bad start to his career. Concern is absolutely warranted at this point.

It really isn't.

If he looked completely overwhelmed it would be one thing but he hasn't. He's had really shitty luck and hasn't picked up those phantom points. Its not ideal, but until he starts to make countless mistakes or disappear for games on end, I'd step off the ledge.

Stat sheet surfing is dangerous for this reason alone.

Reactions: kovazub94

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
It really isn't.

If he looked completely overwhelmed it would be one thing but he hasn't. He's had really shitty luck and hasn't picked up those phantom points. Its not ideal, but until he starts to make countless mistakes or disappear for games on end, I'd step off the ledge.

Stat sheet surfing is dangerous for this reason alone.
I’ve watched every game, some twice, FWIW. I haven’t been this engaged in a season in a long time, and it’s because I’m excited about Laf. This luck excuse only goes so far. If he had gotten some puck luck, where would he be? 3G 3A? Something like that?

I think Edge is right that continuing this conversation is pointless. People here seem to be in two philosophical camps. You are ok with our 1OA draft pick simply looking like he belongs in the NHL. I’m not, I expect more.

History suggests that my expectation is reasonable. History doesn’t tell us much about what to expect moving forward because a 1OA has never struggled to score to this extent before.

I expect Laf to ultimately come around. My optimism song these lines will continue to be tested until it becomes real.

Captain Monglobster

Nov 9, 2005
I’ve watched every game, some twice, FWIW. I haven’t been this engaged in a season in a long time, and it’s because I’m excited about Laf. This luck excuse only goes so far. If he had gotten some puck luck, where would he be? 3G 3A? Something like that?

I think Edge is right that continuing this conversation is pointless. People here seem to be in two philosophical camps. You are ok with our 1OA draft pick simply looking like he belongs in the NHL. I’m not, I expect more.

History suggests that my expectation is reasonable. History doesn’t tell us much about what to expect moving forward because a 1OA has never struggled to score to this extent before.

I expect Laf to ultimately come around. My optimism song these lines will continue to be tested until it becomes real.

I would like to see more too but its an unprecedented year on a shit team. Peak HF is calling the kid a bust right now.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
I really liked the play on that goal. Saw the goalie going one way, pulled it the other for what was basically a tap in. Great pass by Bread too

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
That is a real tough goal to score!
In close. You know you’re gonna get pummeled from behind too

Reactions: Holocene

Row I Goon

Nov 14, 2018
I would like to see more too but its an unprecedented year on a shit team. Peak HF is calling the kid a bust right now.

Based on his 1OA pick, and points to date, despite the goal today, he’s been a bust so far. I want to be wrong but that day, and those goals and assists, seem far, far away. You can call it “peak whatever you like” and add sanctimonious excuses (unprecedented year, shit team) but the truth stands - Laf hasn’t produced.

Captain Monglobster

Nov 9, 2005
Based on his 1OA pick, and points to date, despite the goal today, he’s been a bust so far. I want to be wrong but that day, and those goals and assists, seem far, far away. You can call it “peak whatever you like” and add sanctimonious excuses (unprecedented year, shit team) but the truth stands - Laf hasn’t produced.

No one has. Hes been a bust so far if pts are your only way to grade a player. Kakko was a 'bust' last year and this year fans praise him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad