Recalled/Assigned: Alexey Marchenko

Johnz96*

I only went to one Griffins game and Marchenko was easily the guy I was most impressed with. I like to see this and imagine Blashill told Babcock this is your guy

“Every time I call down to Grand Rapids they say he’s their best guy,†Red Wings coach Mike Babcock said. “If you do well down there you get an opportunity here. You come up and try to make a case for yourself that you can stay. That’s the opportunity he’s been given by the guys getting injured.â€

Marchenko will be wearing No. 47. He was recalled due to Danny DeKeyser’s groin injury, which has him listed as day-to-day.

“For sure I’m excited about it,†Marchenko said. “To be honest, I didn’t really expect it. I think it’s a good experience for me, help me to improve my level of game.â€

The 6-foot-2, 212-pound Marchenko played four seasons with CSKA Moscow in Russia’s Kontinental Hockey League.

“Evidently he can really make plays coming out of his own zone,†Babcock said. “He defends well. He’s a heavy guy, doesn’t seem to mindthe heavy going.â€

Somebody posted this at RWC.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Sproul shoots from his right too, has more points this season, and was the 2nd rounder from the same draft. I'm not trying to justify not having Marchenko on the team, but it just seems... odd. They might be looking for just defense though, and I haven't seen the Griffins enough to draw conclusions from their play in their own end.

Here's to more 7th round magic :nod:

I follow Russian hockey closely and I can tell you that this guy is no slouch. He has been talked up since he was 16, when he was chosen as one of several players to be used in promotions for the MHL (Russian junior league) when the league commenced.

He is known as the best defenseman in his age category in Russia. Very solid two way guy, isn't flashy but has those solid Russian technical skills with the puck, passing etc.. I think once he gets more comfortable he will show a little more offense.

The fact that he has 2 years pro experience in the KHL is superior than credentials of other Grffins defenseman. That CSKA team was not easy to crack.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I follow Russian hockey closely and I can tell you that this guy is no slouch. He has been talked up since he was 16, when he was chosen as one of several players to be used in promotions for the MHL (Russian junior league) when the league commenced.

He is known as the best defenseman in his age category in Russia. Very solid two way guy, isn't flashy but has those solid Russian technical skills with the puck, passing etc.. I think once he gets more comfortable he will show a little more offense.

The fact that he has 2 years pro experience in the KHL is superior than credentials of other Grffins defenseman. That CSKA team was not easy to crack.

That's a good point. I can see where playing in a professional league has helped with Marchenko's development. I also wonder if there is less development left for him due to the level of competition he has faced. He's had a very solid season of point production for Grand Rapids. I'd like to see him get more games in Detroit to see if his point production is enough for him to be legit NHL two-way d-man. We could certainly use a right handed point shot on the power play.

MTU hockey

Mar 4, 2013
Colorado
That's a good point. I can see where playing in a professional league has helped with Marchenko's development. I also wonder if there is less development left for him due to the level of competition he has faced. He's had a very solid season of point production for Grand Rapids. I'd like to see him get more games in Detroit to see if his point production is enough for him to be legit NHL two-way d-man. We could certainly use a right handed point shot on the power play.

I don't understand why Babcock didn't try Marchenko on that second unit PP. I mean he can't be worse than Samuelsson and it's less risky to have an actual d-man playing the point on the PP. There was nothing to lose by trying that out considering Samuelsson isn't going to be in the Wings plans moving forward, so you might as well see how Marchenko handled it.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I don't understand why Babcock didn't try Marchenko on that second unit PP. I mean he can't be worse than Samuelsson and it's less risky to have an actual d-man playing the point on the PP. There was nothing to lose by trying that out considering Samuelsson isn't going to be in the Wings plans moving forward, so you might as well see how Marchenko handled it.

I think part of it is just keeping Sammy in the game, and giving him IT in case he's needed at some point again. With how injuries have hit us, it wouldn't be surprising if he's forced into the lineup for a stretch of games.

I think a bigger part was timing. We only had one substantial powerplay after we'd established our lead. At that point, Marchenko had righted the ship and had a largely positive experience under his belt. Do you put him out there and risk some fluky mistake and him giving up a shortie? Dallas already had one from the first period, so it's not impossible. Or do you just let him take his normal shifts, and build off it for the next game - a game where he might see more special team's play?

Getting him out there and maybe scoring a goal on the powerplay could have been a confidence booster, but it's the kid's first game. He had a rough start, and later admitted to having a hard time settling in, I think I'd just want the kid to finish the game strong and look forward to the next one.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I think part of it is just keeping Sammy in the game, and giving him IT in case he's needed at some point again. With how injuries have hit us, it wouldn't be surprising if he's forced into the lineup for a stretch of games.

I think a bigger part was timing. We only had one substantial powerplay after we'd established our lead. At that point, Marchenko had righted the ship and had a largely positive experience under his belt. Do you put him out there and risk some fluky mistake and him giving up a shortie? Dallas already had one from the first period, so it's not impossible. Or do you just let him take his normal shifts, and build off it for the next game - a game where he might see more special team's play?

Getting him out there and maybe scoring a goal on the powerplay could have been a confidence booster, but it's the kid's first game. He had a rough start, and later admitted to having a hard time settling in, I think I'd just want the kid to finish the game strong and look forward to the next one.

That is what I think too

Soft Rock Renegade

May 17, 2012
it would be surprising if sammy gets a ton of ice time to me ... if its more than a game or two, i see jurco, tootoo or sheahan getting a callup to play over sammy. he's only on the team because his effective cap hit is 100k (only get that much back if he is cut). we might need a guy who costs 100k when everyone is healthy (when weiss is back) since we'll be up against the cap again.

Soft Rock Renegade

May 17, 2012
i thought marchenko looked good. would like to see him get a few more games, even if DD comes back healthy. maybe rotate kindl, quincey and smith out of the lineup on this road trip to see what marchenko can do. would definitely like to see if he can handle second unit PP duties.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
i thought marchenko looked good. would like to see him get a few more games, even if DD comes back healthy. maybe rotate kindl, quincey and smith out of the lineup on this road trip to see what marchenko can do. would definitely like to see if he can handle second unit PP duties.

You cant take Smith out right now, thats a terrible idea.

Marchenko played well but he was a rookie sheltered in his first pro game. He looks promising but he'll need time still. Ouellet looked really good on his call up too but Smith is playing the best hockey he has as a wing right now. You cant take him out for a guy who plays 13 mins a game. Even if you gave Quincey the ice those young guys are getting against the same competition I'm sur he would actually look pretty good

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
What I'd like to see when DD gets back

Kronner-Smith
DD-Marchenko
Lashoff-Kindl
KFQ

when E comes back Marchenko goes down (though I'd rather they waive/trade KFQ)

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada

I agree, since he was used on the PP last year during the lockout with Datsyuk and Radulov and Grabo (what a filthy PP unit BTW), its not like he doesn't have experience with good players.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

The Walking Dead have been given ample opportunity to show their value via increased ice time with all of our injuries. They add nothing. It makes a lot of sense IMO to bring up some young guys and give them some games to see how they fare in the NHL.

Tatar and Nyquist: both have been great.
Jurco: already better than some of the garbage we have littering our scoring lines.
Sheahan: looks better than he did last year and if you can give up on the fantasy of him being a scoring line center :laugh: he's fully prepared to be a bottom 6 center. Babs crowed about the Leafs not being able to handle us down low and that was due to guys like Andy, Sheahan, and Jurco making hay near/behind the net.

Marchenko: should be in the lineup in place of Kindl who can sit up in the press box as far as I'm concerned. Put Smith and Marchenko on that 2nd PP unit.

Time to start playing our younger guys and with some seasoning against the best talent in the world might give us our best shot at actually making the playoffs and being a dangerous opponent come playoff time.

Cbdudek

May 15, 2013
Grand Rapids, MI
www.nightfall.net

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad