Recalled/Assigned: Alexey Marchenko

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
The Wheel Deal ‏@Bill_Roose 6m
The #RedWings have called up defenseman Alexey Marchenko. He will become the fifth rookie to make his NHL debut with Detroit this season.
Expand

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Interesting. I wonder why they went with Marchenko over Ouellet. I remember Marchenko looked good in the preseason though.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Hmmmm. Who's hurt now? Interested to see what he can do. Please send down Glendenning. Bring up Toots or Ferraro/Sheahan.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Good for him! He's been very solid in GR and I'm sure he'll be fine with the Wings too. He also brings a right-handed shot to the blueline.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
Good for him! He's been very solid in GR and I'm sure he'll be fine with the Wings too. He also brings a right-handed shot to the blueline.

Something they desperately need too. Too many times, the defenseman on the right takes an extra few seconds to retrieve the puck off his backhand to his forehand and get a shot off. That usually kills plays in the offensive zone. Same thing in the defensive zone, it is harder to push players to the corners on your "off" side.

We have to be a little patient. We could potentially have a solid blueline in the next few years with guys like Sproul, Ouellet, Marchenko, Backman, Almquist all pushing for a spot with Kronwall, Ericsson, Smith and Kindl already set in the NHL. Management will have to make moves to either trade their depth or move one or both of Smith and Kindl I think.

last_sd

Jun 9, 2007
Probably some one little hurt. But why do I have a bad feeling that we are show casing him before including him in a trade?

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
as mentioned, RH shot. ouellet has gotten callup already. and one can definitely make the case that marchenko is at least as good as ouellet.

Sproul shoots from his right too, has more points this season, and was the 2nd rounder from the same draft. I'm not trying to justify not having Marchenko on the team, but it just seems... odd. They might be looking for just defense though, and I haven't seen the Griffins enough to draw conclusions from their play in their own end.

Here's to more 7th round magic :nod:

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
My guess is someone is a little banged up and the team wants to make sure its West Coast roadtrip goes as smoothly as possible.

Either way, it gives him a chance to at least pratice with the big boys and maybe squeeze in a game.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Sproul shoots from his right too, has more points this season, and was the 2nd rounder from the same draft. I'm not trying to justify not having Marchenko on the team, but it just seems... odd. They might be looking for just defense though, and I haven't seen the Griffins enough to draw conclusions from their play in their own end.

Here's to more 7th round magic :nod:

you pretty much said it there.

quincey is an all star defenseman compared to sproul in his own end.

ok, exaggerating a little but still. marchenko is miles ahead of him as of now. sproul has better tools and potential but he can't be trusted to play in NHL right now.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Interesting. I wonder why they went with Marchenko over Ouellet. I remember Marchenko looked good in the preseason though.
I think they're rotating.

Besides, this probably gives us a better picture of what they think: Ouellet might be close, but he's not there yet (especially offensively). So they continue down the line and evaluate what they've got in that stacked GR defense.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Marchenko is in for Dekeyser. Per khan.

Well... That took away my excitement. :laugh:

lYFzqTR.gif

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
Bittersweet, on one end I'm very excited to see Marchenko play, on the other end it looks like DeKeyser is injured. I hope I'm wrong but it looks like DD is turning into an injury prone player :(

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Long term I dont think hes better than Ouellet or Sproul but right now hes probably the best two way guy in Grand Rapids. Better offense than Ouellet and better defensively than Sproul. Not against this

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad