Injury Report: Alexei Emelin out 6 months

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
What sucks about this is that he won't be able to train properly, he will miss training camp and beginning of season.

Frustrating for sure. As long as he comes back without any lingering effects, we'll all be happy.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Sucks Emelin is my favourite Habs d-man after Subban. Hope as others have suggested this is an incentive for MB to add another good big guy to the blueline.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
No way Streit comes back to Montreal!! Even for $100 mio! He's not crazy

Streit will go where the money is. The front officie and coaching staff is not the same as when he left anyways.

Regardless, I doubt MB throws big money at another PMD so it's a moot point.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
As long as we get him back before Christmas I'll be happy.

In the meantime Tinordi likely gets his minutes.

Markov-Subban
Boullion-Diaz
Tinordi-Gorges
Beaulieu will probably be on the team next year too.

Could be uh... exciting with that group on the back end.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Seems like a log jam of A1 puck movers to me.

I'm wondering if Bergevin might consider moving Markov instead of a guy like Diaz. He's a proven commodity around the league and he had a great bounce back year, he might fetch us a really good young player that'll fit more into our future vision.

Diaz was bad after his return from concussion but he was probably our second best D-man behind Subban up until his injury. It's hard to take such a small sample serious though. I'd only advocate shipping Markov if we were getting a real solid promising young player in return.
Markov probably makes the most sense to deal now. Diaz replaces Markov and Markov is dealt to a team like the Rangers who desperately need PP help. That works.

And you're right, it's too many of the same kind of blueliner here. And if we do add Beaulieu - yet another offensive guy and Tinordi (which I expect to happen) then we'll really need a rugged blueliner to replace Emelin.

Joe Cole

Jun 17, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
While it's good to have a plan/blueprint. You can't have a plan that is that rigid simply because the personnel to fill those holes may or may not be available, or may come at a huge cost.

Teams have a different mix and still win the cup...Boston had a blueline that was big on size and weak in puck movers, LA and Chicago had highly skilled bluelines built around smaller, more skilled puck movers.

I realize that there is a difference between making a target, and living it in the real word of personal movement.

What I am saying is that you have to have a target and work towards it. Otherwise you are just patching holes and being content with improvisation. That's how you start down the easy road to mediocrity.

Cass

May 22, 2013
MTL
Would Robyn Regehr be a good signing to offset what we will be missing from Emelin? Also he could be a good leader/mentor.
thoughts?

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I realize that there is a difference between making a target, and living it in the real word of personal movement.

What I am saying is that you have to have a target and work towards it. Otherwise you are just patching holes and being content with improvisation. That's how you start down the easy road to mediocrity.

I agree, you just have to be careful not to have targets that are too narrow. To a certain extent you have to have a solid plan including a lot of the pieces in place along with possible realistic targets. Obviously if players surpass ir fall short of expected performance that plan needs to be adjusted, NHL players and rosters are fluid not static.

A big part is having young core players, developping them properly and keeping them.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Would Robyn Regehr be a good signing to offset what we will be missing from Emelin? Also he could be a good leader/mentor.
thoughts?

It's been discussed ad nauseum in the off season trade/free agent thread.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad