News: Alexandre Texier will not join Columbus for 2022-23, given permission to sign one year deal in Europe

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
First off I just want to say that I wish all of the very best for Texier. He is a hell of a player and I love watching him play. I fully understand why Columbus is doing this and great on them for looking after their player first before their team. I feel happy for both the player and the team.

Now I hate to be “that guy” but I hope that this doesn’t open a big can of worms and create a gray area for teams to use a potential loophole in coming seasons.

Let’s say a team is over the cap and it is near the start of the season. They talk to one of their European depth players who has a bigger cap hit. They convince him to play in Europe for a year and his contract will slide. Use whatever excuse that they want like the player wants to be closer to their family or something similar. That player does a favour for their NHL team and that NHL team becomes cap compliant without having to trade an asset, most likely a first round pick to a team to take on that contract. Plus with the rule of no salary cap in the playoffs and European seasons ending before the NHL season ends would that player be eligible for the playoffs?

Once again this is not what Columbus is doing but could another team try to exploit this scenario?

Reactions: DougKnowsBest

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
First off I just want to say that I wish all of the very best for Texier. He is a hell of a player and I love watching him play. I fully understand why Columbus is doing this and great on them for looking after their player first before their team. I feel happy for both the player and the team.

Now I hate to be “that guy” but I hope that this doesn’t open a big can of worms and create a gray area for teams to use a potential loophole in coming seasons.

Let’s say a team is over the cap and it is near the start of the season. They talk to one of their European depth players who has a bigger cap hit. They convince him to play in Europe for a year and his contract will slide. Use whatever excuse that they want like the player wants to be closer to their family or something similar. That player does a favour for their NHL team and that NHL team becomes cap compliant without having to trade an asset, most likely a first round pick to a team to take on that contract. Plus with the rule of no salary cap in the playoffs and European seasons ending before the NHL season ends would that player be eligible for the playoffs?

Once again this is not what Columbus is doing but could another team try to exploit this scenario?
Not a thing.

How are they going to reimburse said player for his career earnings loss and the NHL does not just say ok sure sounds good. They have to OK this situation

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
Any interest in a centre like Dvorak?
Maybe for Nyquist who is on an expiring contract.

Saves about 1M in cap this year and then keep a solid #2-3 centre for 3 more years.

Dvorak + Hoffman for Nyquist + 2nd round pick

Not Jared Cowen

Oct 1, 2004

I would say circumstances have to be proven that may cause high levels of stress/duress to said player's mental health for the NHL to allow this. I doubt they'd approve it for a player that says "oh I need to go home because reasons" without any tangible evidence.

Also, no player is going to go for losing a year on their NHL career earnings just to make sure their team is cap compliant while they make a few 100k in Europe somewhere.

Reactions: carouselofgoalies

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Any interest in a centre like Dvorak?
Maybe for Nyquist who is on an expiring contract.

Saves about 1M in cap this year and then keep a solid #2-3 centre for 3 more years.

Dvorak + Hoffman for Nyquist + 2nd round pick
Ah just tossed in Hoffman like no one would notice.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
So disappointed and sad about this decision...I fall off my chair. :help:

For us French fans who have been following the NHL for decades and who have so few compatriots to cheer for in the big league, this is hard to take.
I have a hard time understanding this decision and I think more and more that Alexandre Texier lacks a competitive mentality.

He endured a terrible ordeal on a personal level but seemed to have recovered by playing in the world championships with the French team. It's not like he was injured, but now he's choosing to play in Switzerland... while he created an opportunity for himself to play in the NHL. It is extremely rare for a player trained in France, there he is simply wasting his career.

From time to time a kick in the ass is necessary...(unless of course his parents asked him to stay). This is exactly what our young people are missing today.
World championships I assume is significantly shorter duration than an NHL season. Also it was in Europe? I’m an American so my geography is a bit eh, but I assume he was at least somewhat closer to family? Lol even if not it’s way shorter, less commitment time wise.

Same w playing in Switzerland, much closer to his family whether he travels to them or likely they can travel to see him more easily as well. The fact that he’s playing at all shows he cares about maintaining his game.

Reactions: murrough and LJ7

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

No, I don't believe a team can just elect for the player. The NHL/NHLPA was involved to make that call and although it hints it was voluntary per NHL/NHPA "recommendations", you could argue that it was basically more mandatory/NHL/NHLPA approval that actually allowed this type of option.

Texier seemingly has something like 3-4 pieces of evidence of exceptional duress and other personal reasons to be on a hybrid leave of absence or players assistance program. In other situations, most players have 1-2 at most (ie: Price and Drouin).

It's not to say that another situation like Texier's won't pop up, but it likely would have to be one hell of an exceptional circumstance for it to pop up like this again. From what is understood, two deaths in family, significant distance from family AND potential concerns with either mental health/substance. Like... damn. I wish the kid the best. That's absolutely brutal.

Reactions: CBJx614 and Hobnobs

DangeRouss

Sep 6, 2014
Bordeaux, Fra
In a forum rife with backward opinions, this is up there among the worst takes I’ve read here.
Why ?
At least give an explanation or arguments...

I have worked with high level and professional athletes all my career.
I have experienced the death of a teammate on the field in professional soccer and other dramatic situations.
But sorry to say It's not often you see such a renunciation from an athlete.
I don't buy the argument of staying close to home when you are his age and with the current means of communication and transportation.

There is something else and I believe the way he was coached in Columbus had something to do with it (hello Torts). He's one of the only players in the NHL for example to have been moved around the 12 forward positions before being stabilized on the 4th line without any power play minutes.

But you have to admit that you have to question his motivation even more with the arrival of Gaudreau to the Jackets.
I wish him the best this season. It will have to be excellent in the Swiss National League to have another chance in the NHL...
...if that is what he really wants...

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
I don't buy the argument of staying close to home when you are his age and with the current means of communication and transportation.

There is something else and I believe the way he was coached in Columbus had something to do with it (hello Torts). He's one of the only players in the NHL for example to have been moved around the 12 forward positions before being stabilized on the 4th line without any power play minutes.

But you have to admit that you have to question his motivation even more with the arrival of Gaudreau to the Jackets.
I wish him the best this season. It will have to be excellent in the Swiss National League to have another chance in the NHL...
Nobody cares if you buy it or not, theres no real reason to attempt to plant rumors of ulterior motives behind his decision. You say you wish him the best but that sure doesn't stop you from sharing your own made up theories as to why he's staying in Europe. What the coach of the Flyers has to do with any of this is beyond me.

Apr 9, 2009
USA

LTIR is already what you’re worried about this being.

The next part of this post is not a response to your post. Your question is definitely valid.

But this is another thread where a couple people should be f***ing ashamed of their trash opinions. Garbage. This is a game. Life matters more. Either grow up or stop taking sports so seriously. Some of you set the bar so low that I can’t comprehend how you get through life on a daily basis.

“Lacks a competitive spirit” would still be better than some of you lacking an actual spirit.

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
Why ?

I have experienced the death of a teammate on the field in professional soccer and other dramatic situations.

The crux of your argument is that:
- This isn't actually a mental health issue (despite both the NHL and the NHLPA deciding that it is)
- If it is a mental health issue, Texier is mentally weak and not cut out for the NHL (despite having been in North America for most of the past 4 year and having over 100 NHL games under his belt)

And you can't understand why people think it's a terrible take?

Frankly, your kind of thinking regarding mental health is the kind of thinking that should be better left in the dustbin. God forbid we actually take steps forward in treating mental health as a serious matter, rather than sticking to the tried and true "Just suck it up" method - because that's never led to terrible consequences.

The player's fine with the arrangement. The team's fine with the arrangement. The NHL is fine with the arrangement. The NHLPA is fine with the arrangement. And I think they know the situation far better than a buncha dorks on a hockey forum.

DangeRouss

Sep 6, 2014
Bordeaux, Fra
Nobody cares if you buy it or not, theres no real reason to attempt to plant rumors of ulterior motives behind his decision. You say you wish him the best but that sure doesn't stop you from sharing your own made up theories as to why he's staying in Europe. What the coach of the Flyers has to do with any of this is beyond me.
The guy speaks for everyone lol
You're nobody to forbid me to express my feeling here.
I'm doing it on my own behalf and I don't pretend to speak for anyone else, me
And read up on Tortorella's awful management with certain players. If you don't see what I'm referring to, I can't do anything for you.
I am the first supporter of Alex Texier and my disappointment to see him take this path is even greater.

Last edited:

DangeRouss

Sep 6, 2014
Bordeaux, Fra
The crux of your argument is that:
- This isn't actually a mental health issue (despite both the NHL and the NHLPA deciding that it is)
- If it is a mental health issue, Texier is mentally weak and not cut out for the NHL (despite having been in North America for most of the past 4 year and having over 100 NHL games under his belt)

And you can't understand why people think it's a terrible take?

Frankly, your kind of thinking regarding mental health is the kind of thinking that should be better left in the dustbin. God forbid we actually take steps forward in treating mental health as a serious matter, rather than sticking to the tried and true "Just suck it up" method - because that's never led to terrible consequences.

The player's fine with the arrangement. The team's fine with the arrangement. The NHL is fine with the arrangement. The NHLPA is fine with the arrangement. And I think they know the situation far better than a buncha dorks on a hockey forum.
I understand and respect your opinion.
As I said this player has been through a serious ordeal but now he is ready to play. As long as you are able to play as he did very well in the French NT and for a whole season in Switzerland, the argument of "mental health" does not seem very serious to me.
It prevents you from playing in NHL but not in Switzerland ??? He's going to sign in Zurich, sorry but he won't be with his family every week.
From a sporting point of view, it's a choice that doesn't make sense. Either his experience in the NHL has disgusted him to come back or he doesn't want to make the necessary concessions.
But of course that's just speculation.
As soon as an opinion is not the majority one, you have a hard time respecting it on this forum.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Why ?

People like you is exactly why sports have an issue with the stigma of mental health.

And stop covering your distasteful rumour spreading with "I wish him the best". You don't.

Last edited:

DangeRouss

Sep 6, 2014
Bordeaux, Fra
People like you is exactly why sports have an issue with the stigma of mental health.

And stop covering your distasteful rumour spreading with "I wish him the best". You don't.
Sure it's better to have tons of pseudo-fans like you who rage at their team after 2 defeats as I read in the forums of all the teams here...
I spent hundreds of nights watching the NHL, can you say the same

I have been a reference for 10 years in my position in Europe in professional soccer (UEFA) and brought several innovations in my field (and winning national cups and championships).
Keep your lessons to yourself !!

The very fact that you question my support for the player because I dare to suggest that his decision reflects a lack of ambition and motivation, proves how little you know about hockey in my country.

Texier is the best thing that ever happened to French hockey. For a French fan you have no idea what that means.

Seeing him waste this opportunity is the only reason for my comments. If I didn't care, I wouldn't waste time writing here.

Last edited:

Shawn Heins 44

Sep 22, 2012
Zurich
Sure it's better to have tons of pseudo-fans like you who rage at their team after 2 defeats as I read in the forums of all the teams here...
I spent hundreds of nights watching the NHL, can you say the same

I have been a reference for 10 years in my position in Europe in professional soccer (UEFA) and brought several innovations in my field (and winning national cups and championships).
Keep your lessons to yourself !!

The very fact that you question my support for the player because I dare to suggest that his decision reflects a lack of ambition and motivation, proves how little you know about hockey in my country.

Texier is the best thing that ever happened to French hockey. For a French fan you have no idea what that means.

Seeing him waste this opportunity is the only reason for my comments. If I didn't care, I wouldn't waste time writing here.
I understand what you are saying but every person is different, every person feels different in different circumstances. And yes he will not be seeing his family every day but it is a 4.5 hours drive to Grenoble where he is from if I am not mistaken. So yes, if there is an issue he can be with them really quickly.

This is problably very hard for French hockey fans, I was also disappointed when guys like Wick "gave up" the NA chapter but it happens and it is actually a strength to admit that there might be something more important than your hockey dream in life.

Btw Siegenthaler also came back to Switzerland for family reasons for one year and he only got better since then so it might be a good thing long term.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Why ?

We don't buy your groundless claim, either, so quit your s**t?

Reactions: Figgzfood and LJ7

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Yet another reminder that although these guys are superhuman on the ice, off the ice they’re still normal people who have to deal with real life stuff just like everyone else. Hope he can take care of what he needs to.

Reactions: mouser

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad