News: Alexandre Texier will not join Columbus for 2022-23, given permission to sign one year deal in Europe

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
But he has an NHL contract for next season, I did not think it was possible for him to go to Europe without them terminating his deal
1CB8F240-3117-4751-BD19-EF7624BAA422.jpeg
80F0CF99-01A5-49E4-A11E-1DEE66F21444.jpeg

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Sounds like he’s having a hard time being away from home for one reason or another. Hopefully he can get it all sorted out. He seemed to be putting it all together on a nhl level and I like what he brings to the ice. Best of luck to him.

Contractually it seems odd that he can leave while having a nhl contract and play somewhere else. Does this eat a year off his contract like it would if he stayed stateside?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Interesting, didn't know this was possible but if it is, why do we constantly see players get their contracts terminated so they can go back to Europe? Why wouldn't their teams just loan them with an agreement like this so they can maintain rights? Who are some other players that have gone to Europe this way?
I think this is more of an attempt on the part of both the club and the player to keep the relationship going and so it's a little different than usual.

Not Jared Cowen

Oct 1, 2004
Interesting, didn't know this was possible but if it is, why do we constantly see players get their contracts terminated so they can go back to Europe? Why wouldn't their teams just loan them with an agreement like this so they can maintain rights? Who are some other players that have gone to Europe this way?

I assume it’s because it’s under the advisory of an NHL-affiliated program in this case.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
But he has an NHL contract for next season, I did not think it was possible for him to go to Europe without them terminating his deal
I dont know details of who pays the player how much. But almost every season there are guys on NHL contracts playing in Europe.
Whether ELC guys, end of the line guys, or one-off cases like this.

Interestingly, CapFreindly lists his status as "SUBSTANCE ABUSE AND BEHAVORIAL HEALTH PROGRAM"

Reactions: Cowumbus

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I dont know details of who pays the player how much. But almost every season there are guys on NHL contracts playing in Europe.
Whether ELC guys, end of the line guys, or one-off cases like this.

Interestingly, CapFreindly lists his status as "SUBSTANCE ABUSE AND BEHAVORIAL HEALTH PROGRAM"
The program also includes players who aren't playing due to mental health reasons, the recent tragedy has him not mentally ready to come back and leave his family so this makes sense

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I had no idea there were any issues with Texier, but I'm glad he's doing what he needs to do to look after himself, and I hope he's in a position where he can return to the NHL for next season -- primarily because that will indicate he made enough progress on a personal level to be able to get back to normalcy in his life and career.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Usually the guys who terminate to go home don't have the youth, NHL experience, upside potential, or commitment to a career in NA. The benefit is mutual, freeing up Cap and Reserve List capacity.

Reactions: DaveG

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011

I think its because this benefits both the NHL and the player. With the circumstances being different to lets say Virtanen or cases like that.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
The program also includes players who aren't playing due to mental health reasons, the recent tragedy has him not mentally ready to come back and leave his family so this makes sense
The NHL really needs a different kind of program name for this kind of thing. All kinds of people are going to think he has a drug/alcohol problem.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
My guess is Columbus wants a future with Alex

Hopefully Alex gets the help he needs close to his home and family.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
He won't play in Columbus/the NHL but he's signing in Switzerland? Read the release but genuinely not sure what is happening here - can someone explain?

Edit: Ah it is still closer to family if he plays there. Didn't realize he was from France.

Sounds like his contract will slide for a year.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
The NHL really needs a different kind of program name for this kind of thing. All kinds of people are going to think he has a drug/alcohol problem.

Yea I dont get why they dont just have a mental health program...

I think because substance abuse is seen as a mental health issue. The onus should be on us (fans) not to make wild assumptions.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
I didn't know he was going through such a hard time, that's too bad.

He should destroy the NLA next year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad