Alexander Steen or Patrick Nilsson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Robert might become the better scorer but Steen is the safer pick and a high calibre NHLer for sure. I'd go with him.

leafaholix*

I've only seen Robert Nilsson twice, but he's a risky pick IMO.

Isn't the same defensive player as Alexander... though he looks like he's got that potential to become a terrific scorer.

My pick: Steen.

Why? Complete player... great leader... and he's a Leaf (;))

Hoffer

Dec 23, 2003
British Columbia
Steen/Nilsson TWO DIFFERENT PLAYERS

Alexander Steen plays like his father Thomas, and Nilsson plays like his as well. Steen is destined to be a second line center I think in the NHL. Good at a lot of things, but not overly great in others. He has the intensity to become a good leader in the dressing room and will do that for the young WJC Swedish team. Nilsson on the other hand is a bit smaller, therefore his boardwork needs some help, but he can score when he wants to. He plays like his father as well and ultimately will be one of the keys for Swedens WJC 2003 Team.

Who is the next Swedish Hockey Phenom?
Steen will get to the show a lot sooner, however I think overall Nilsson will become the more effective offensive threat.

BuppY

xGoodwillx
Dec 24, 2003
relatednews.net
Oh Steen hands down this guy is the safest pick and i think he will be up there with the top goal scorers in this tournament ... RObert is also very good but he does flot around a lot but if he ever gets his game right he's gonna be a very dangerous offensive player... but right now hands down ste :D en :yo:

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
If I'm choosing which player will lead Team Sweden in the future, then I go with Nilsson.

I like Steen's all-around game a lot. But he doesn't have the offensive upside or gamebreaking abilities that Nilsson has, and that's what you need in leading a team on the world scale. I don't think Steen has the ability to lead a team offensively. So if it isn't Nilsson leading Sweden, then it'll be someone other than these two.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
How old is Nilson. Isn't he playing in the panthers minor league system since he's suspended. I think he's splitting time between Augusta Lynx and SA Rampage. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the panthers used a pick on him as he can't play untill he's drafted. Does he have a future in the NHL?

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
PanthersRule said:
How old is Nilson. Isn't he playing in the panthers minor league system since he's suspended. I think he's splitting time between Augusta Lynx and SA Rampage. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the panthers used a pick on him as he can't play untill he's drafted. Does he have a future in the NHL?

You're confusing Nilssons, mainly because the originator of this thread wrote the wrong first name (I'm guessing he is, at least).

Robert Nilsson is a 19 year old first rounder by NYI in the 2003 draft. Excellent offensive capabilities. Has the potential to be a top three forward, from what I've seen.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
Mike8 said:
You're confusing Nilssons, mainly because the originator of this thread wrote the wrong first name (I'm guessing he is, at least).

Robert Nilsson is a 19 year old first rounder by NYI in the 2003 draft. Excellent offensive capabilities. Has the potential to be a top three forward, from what I've seen.
I thought so. Geez. I was wondering how Patrick Nilson could even be compared to Steen.

Robert IMO>Steen>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Patrick :D

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
I've seen the Canada/Sweden exhibition game and Nillson is not in Steen's league. Steen was playing on full strenght, powerplay and penalty kill and he was the best player on the ice, he even was dominating canadians. Robert Nillson didn't have a single opportunity.

leafaholix*

I agree.

Robert Nilsson had 1 rush up the ice and missed the net... he also had a couple hits... but other then that, he was basically invisible on the ice.

Steen made great passes, created opportunities for himself, played great defense... and played in every situation.

Very versatile.

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
markov` said:
I've seen the Canada/Sweden exhibition game and Nillson is not in Steen's league. Steen was playing on full strenght, powerplay and penalty kill and he was the best player on the ice, he even was dominating canadians. Robert Nillson didn't have a single opportunity.

I know player evaluations are entirely subjective, but I don't see how you claim that Nilsson didn't have any opportunities. Nilsson and Steen played on the same line, and Nilsson was generating the offense for that line. He was by and large the player who carried the puck through the neutral zone for his line, did an end to end rush showing excellent strength on his skates and puckhandling capabilities, and has seemingly gained a whole lot of strength (both in leg power and upper body strength) from last year. He initiated contact and took physical contact very well.

Only aspect that concerned me is that while he didn't shy away from physical contact at all, he seemed to take many bad angle shots. So even after rushing the puck from behind his own net to the Canadian zone, he took a shot from a terrible angle that had next to no chance of scoring. I'd like to see him cut to the slot or drive the net instead, and create real scoring opportunities.

I know this was just one game, but both Nilsson and Steen impressed me in different capacities. There's no doubt Nilsson is far more offensively gifted though, IMO.

leafaholix*

That's also true.

But we've seen a lot of gifted offensive players fail.

Steen is the kind of guy you put out there on the PP, PK, and even strength. I'm not sure about Nilsson... he seemed clueless without the puck. Both his hits were in the offensive zone.

Steen's more of a "sure thing".

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
Steen's a safer bet, no doubt. But if both players attain their potential, then Nilsson is the player I would want. I don't think a player like Steen will lead a team on the international scale to victory; he could be a leader on the team, but not the guy to propel the offense to victory.

Nilsson has that capability. So for the original question of this thread, I would say Nilsson is the player to select.

BTW, Nilsson had two great hits in his own zone, and also made an excellent play down low at one point in his own zone. Regardless, I suspect both players will be in the NHL sooner rather than later, and I hope both succeed as they're both likeable players.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad