Player Discussion Alexander Radulov Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Give him 35/5 and be done with it.

HE'S NOT WORTH 7,000,000 USD! How hard a concept is it to grasp for some people?! He's a 54 points, 18 goals player in a great season. It might be a flashy 18 goals, 54 points, but it's still the same as a boring, conventional 18 goals, 54 points. I swear people fall in love with their players around here. To be willing and give 7,000,000 USD$ to an over 30, 54 points player who NEVER got 60 points in his NHL career and had only one 20 goal season is ridiculous.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
HE'S NOT WORTH 7,000,000 USD! How hard a concept is it to grasp for some people?! He's a 54 points, 18 goals player in a great season. It might be a flashy 18 goals, 54 points, but it's still the same as a boring, conventional 18 goals, 54 points.

Radulov is an elite playoff player.

But whatever, save the cap space and give it back to the shareholders.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
hahaha, it's pretty hilarious coming from the "let's engage in each other's arguments" and "let's stay focused" You want to have an irrelevant, hypothetical argument when there's clearly no way for either of us to know what's out there. I don't want to discuss alternatives because it's clearly stupid for me to guess. The same reason you don't want to discuss what you'd sign Pacioretty for. The reason I asked is because Pacioretty is a clearly more important part of our offense yet he's not nearly as fanboy swooned over, so easy to make a logical decision with. He shouldn't be paid 7-8 million until he's almost 40, even though he's more productive than Radulov was this year every single year. Same logic. Yes we might need him but signing him to a stupid contract is counter productive.

Yes, if we're stuck unable to score in the playoffs we're looking pretty stupid, there's plenty of ways for us to look stupid in any path, that's why the hypothetical are irrelevant and silly. If we sign Radulov for 7 years, he has 48 points and we can't score in the playoffs anyway because we're running Pleks, Danault and Shaw down the middle we look just as ****ing stupid and we have a boat anchor contract.

I'm not afraid of a raise right now and I'm not specifically afraid of not being able to get rid of him but there's plenty of risk markers on a contract that pool up to make it a less than ideal value, obviously. No one aspect of it "scares" me. I like Radulov fine, but it's alright to be unemotional. I mean, the emotion of the concept of someone not wanting to pay a 31 year old 50 point player 6-7 million dollars for 7 years has you using all caps, lol. So it's a tough sell. I remember how it felt when I was young the Habs traded Damphousse. Sucked. I get it.

Signing a 31 year old to a 6 year contract he's likely not even worth in year 1, is stupid. It's a fun player, it's an easy player to like but it's dumb. He was a 54 point ****ing player. Maybe he's better than most of the guys people have mentioned but they also might not require SIX years to hopefully recreate his "awesome" 54 point "magic" for another 2-3 years before nosediving. He's a good player, he has a price point. Even 7 million is an overpay, bend on 1 of term or dollar, not both. Not for a guy who isn't a special player and doesn't fill a positional need.

It's incredible to me that this post was edited and remains as bad as it is. It went through two filters and came out as 500 words of ''signing Radulov to a big contract is stupid!'' ad nauseam.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
HE'S NOT WORTH 7,000,000 USD! How hard a concept is it to grasp for some people?! He's a 54 points, 18 goals player in a great season. It might be a flashy 18 goals, 54 points, but it's still the same as a boring, conventional 18 goals, 54 points. I swear people fall in love with their players around here. To be willing and give 7,000,000 USD$ to an over 30, 54 points player who NEVER got 60 points in his NHL career and had only one 20 goal season is ridiculous.

Next year, how much room on the cap do you think Radulov is worth?

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Radulov is an elite playoff player.

But whatever, save the cap space and give it back to the shareholders.

He's played a grand total of 24 playoffs games. I guess that's worth 7M itself too? Lars Eller had 13 points in 17 playoffs game. I guess he was worth 7M?

Ridiculous. Bobby Ryan got the same production Radulov had through some years of his 7M deal and the Sens fans were ready to rip his head off. And you guys want to give the same deal to a guy who had the same offensive output in an ideal year?!

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
So by your awesome logic, why not just give guys 8 years to lower their immediate cap hit and worry about the consequences when they come? Maybe if we offer Radulov 8 years we can get his cap hit down a bit and it'll leave us room to get someone else on a 7 year deal. Maybe Justin Williams? Great wing depth and moar goalz! PLUS if you like playoff performers!

Because he only asked for 6? Why would I offer him a contract longer than the one he asked for?

This isn't going well for you.

Galchenioretty

Galchenyuk 1 G in last 18 playoff Gs
Oct 18, 2009
Canada
It's incredible to me that this post was edited and remains as bad as it is. It went through two filters and came out as 500 words of ''signing Radulov to a big contract is stupid!'' ad nauseam.

hahaha I should have known better than to engage someone who I first noticed trying to explain the rules of when teams can talk to UFAs while not knowing what the **** he was talking about.

Galchenioretty

Oct 18, 2009
Canada
Because he only asked for 6? Why would I offer him a contract longer than the one he asked for?

This isn't going well for you.

Because term doesn't matter and the longer you go, the more you can get his dollars per year down. Tack on a couple of cheap extra years at the end and instead of 7 maybe you can get him for 6. Who the **** cares anyway?

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
hahaha I should have known better than to engage someone who I first noticed trying to explain the rules of when teams can talk to UFAs while not knowing what the **** he was talking about.

Yeah, I got something wrong and accepted the correction. Doesn't make your other arguments correct. If you can even call them arguments.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
First of all.. $7M on the cap today isn't what it was 10 years ago.

Secondly.. Radulov went through a mid-season divorce where his kid was taken back to Russia. He's a pro athlete, not the terminator.

Thirdly.. 54 points in today's NHL is pretty good. Especially in our "system." Radulov makes players around him better and he does so many little things on the ice that doesn't show up as a goal or an assist.

Radulov is worth whatever we need to pay him for him to stay. 6 or 7 years is a bit long. 5 years may Even be a year too long but we're in no position to be beggars if we want to capitalize on Price and Weber.

5/35. Done for me.

Ps. LOL @ the in his NHL career. Dude barely played in the NHL.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Not a penny over 6M. In my opinion, even 6M is generous. The guy has not had ONE 60 points season in his who NHL career!

So you'd rather we go into next season without him than overpay him 1 million dollars?

That seems like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
First of all.. $7M on the cap today isn't what it was 10 years ago.

Secondly.. Radulov went through a mid-season divorce where his kid was taken back to Russia. He's a pro athlete, not the terminator.

Thirdly.. 54 points in today's NHL is pretty good. Especially in our "system." Radulov makes players around him better and he does so many little things on the ice that doesn't show up as a goal or an assist.

Radulov is worth whatever we need to pay him for him to stay. 6 or 7 years is a bit long. 5 years may Even be a year too long but we're in no position to be beggars if we want to capitalize on Price and Weber.

5/35. Done for me.

Ps. LOL @ the in his NHL career. Dude barely played in the NHL.

I thank whatever is up there that you're not this team's GM.

18 goals. 54 points. Not a single 60 points NHL season. 7M. Wow! What a world!

So you'd rather we go into next season without him than overpay him 1 million dollars?

That seems like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

With the same logic, why should we give Markov 4M when we can overpay him by 1M? Only 1M! Nothing to see there
Why pay Galchenyuk 4 - 4.5M when we can secure his service and get him at 5-5.5M?

Let's give these guys these 3M. It's not like this 3M can be the difference between having to settle for a 1.5M D to complete your lineup and a 4.5M D. Let's spend like drunken sailors and leave the rest to tomorrow!

Galchenioretty

Oct 18, 2009
Canada
Yeah, I got something wrong and accepted the correction. Doesn't make your other arguments correct. If you can even call them arguments.

Well it certainly shows you like to talk out of your ass, it's pretty simple, if you don't know what you're talking about just don't say anything. Alternatively, it's quick to look things up. Some people are combative for the sake of it, maybe you like raising your post count, I don't know.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Honest question. Does anyone here really expect Radulov to stay with the Habs? I say he's a goner.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Because term doesn't matter and the longer you go, the more you can get his dollars per year down. Tack on a couple of cheap extra years at the end and instead of 7 maybe you can get him for 6. Who the **** cares anyway?

Sure, why not. But he only asked for 6. Having gotten to know your thought process, again, if you could call it that, it wouldn't surprise me to see you offer something above and beyond what was asked for in a negotiation, though. Seems silly to me.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Well it certainly shows you like to talk out of your ass, it's pretty simple, if you don't know what you're talking about just don't say anything. Alternatively, it's quick to look things up. Some people are combative for the sake of it, maybe you like raising your post count, I don't know.

Look, you got exposed in our little exchange and now you're trying to use this minutiae to save face. Okay then, have your little hoorah.

Does it make it feel any less like you got worked?

Galchenioretty

Oct 18, 2009
Canada
Sure, why not. But he only asked for 6. Having gotten to know your thought process, again, if you could call it that, it wouldn't surprise me to see you offer something above and beyond what was asked for in a negotiation, though. Seems silly to me.

Your point being that future repercussions don't matter today, if you can get his cap hit down in the short term, why not add more years to do it. The years are an unimportant encumbrance. If you give him more years, you just easily trade it to Arizona in 5 years anyway right? So in theory 8 years/6 per year >> 6 years/7 per year, no?

Galchenioretty

Oct 18, 2009
Canada
Look, you got exposed in our little exchange and now you're trying to use this minutiae to save face. Okay then, have your little hoorah.

hahaha man, I remember watching you get ****ing WRECKED daily on the old Habs board until you got yourself banned and brought your hilarious brand over here. It's been nothing but a pleasure

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Honest question. Does anyone here really expect Radulov to stay with the Habs? I say he's a goner.

I think he will resign.

Right now both sides are negotiating hard but I see a compromise. No one will like his deal but MB will get him down on either term or $$$.

Also think that once he can start talking to other teams he is going to see there isn't a big stomach out there for his demands.

Galchenioretty

Oct 18, 2009
Canada

And also, I wasn't trying to make you feel ****** about being wrong. My point was if your whole shtick is to be nonstop combative and to try and "well actually..." people, it would be very helpful to just quickly look things up.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
hahaha man, I remember watching you get ****ing WRECKED daily on the old Habs board until you got yourself banned and brought your hilarious brand over here. It's been nothing but a pleasure

What a coincidence. Now you're watching yourself get wrecked and hardly putting up a fight.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
I thank whatever is up there that you're not this team's GM.

18 goals. 54 points. Not a single 60 points NHL season. 7M. Wow! What a world!

Although I would prefer he signs a long term deal, like 5-6 years at 30M total, a short term 3 years at 7M isn't stupid.

When you look at it from the perspective that the top60 best paid NHL forwards is from 5.6M to 10.5M and that Radulov was a top60 forward in the NHL. (56-62 ranked forwards had 55 points to Radulovs 54 points) Also incorporate that he will be a UFA and has the right to sign with the highest bidder... 7M isn't that ridiculous.

This is far from an exact science and not every forward in the top60 best paid (cough Plekanec) are in the top60 in scoring. But what it does is give you an idea how what Radulov and his agent must be saying in negotiation.

crazyd

Canada is hockey
Jul 2, 2006
Your point being that future repercussions don't matter today, if you can get his cap hit down in the short term, why not add more years to do it. The years are an unimportant encumbrance. If you give him more years, you just easily trade it to Arizona in 5 years anyway right? So in theory 8 years/6 per year >> 6 years/7 per year, no?

All of these proposals for long-term deals for players past the 30+ years mark is relying on an assumption that has great possibility to fail: we can just flip him to a bottom cap team. Even if the contract was planned for it - i.e. by front-loading the earnings - you're still making a very weak assumption on a $36+M contract. This is not monopoly money...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad