Player Discussion Alexander Radulov Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
So Tony says one thing, Laraque and Engels say the complete opposite. Never really believed that Tony has actual sources.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
TonyM also swore Radulov and his agent wanted a 8yr deal a few months ago...

When they asked Radulov he completely dismissed it.

I still think a deal has long been agreed upon, it's just a formality...and all of this is just a smokescreen in case there's ever an issue with proving when the deal was struck.

I'll be absolutely floored if he doesn't re-sign with the Habs.

Last edited:

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
It's wait and see at this point. Bobby Mac said friday that the negos weren't going to0 well. Then Laraque and Engels said they heard a 3 years deal was done. Then Tony says there is no deal.

So who to believe ? I guess we can't be 100% sure until anything official come from management. If there is indeed a deal we will likely now either Tursday or Friday.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
I remember the NHL said it did not want teams to have UFAs signed in there back pocket before the expansion draft, so maybe this is just a way to keep the NHL guessing.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I fail to see how it's realistic for Radulov to accept 3 years, doesn't make sense at his age.

googlymoogly

Oct 27, 2007
It's wait and see at this point. Bobby Mac said friday that the negos weren't going to0 well. Then Laraque and Engels said they heard a 3 years deal was done. Then Tony says there is no deal.

So who to believe ? I guess we can't be 100% sure until anything official come from management. If there is indeed a deal we will likely now either Tursday or Friday.
Well the media wants you to follow them so they take a drastic stance on either side. If the media said we don't know just like the fans then they would be ignored. I already know they should be ignored because they are full of **** and it's why I never follow them.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
Well the media wants you to follow them so they take a drastic stance on either side. If the media said we don't know just like the fans then they would be ignored. I already know they should be ignored because they are full of **** and it's why I never follow them.

Other than Bobby Mac on Twitter , i don't follow any of them. But people here on HF report pretty much everything so i sort of indirectly follow them by default thanks to this board :laugh:

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Well, really don't know who to believe but one thing is for sure....if indeed Radulov got a deal in place, Habs' PR have the duty to get it out there that it isn't true, cause it would be illegal from the NHL POV.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
I fail to see how it's realistic for Radulov to accept 3 years, doesn't make sense at his age.

Well a 3 years term bring him to 35. So he may have accepted shorter term for a higher salary (7m ?) so that he could see what his options are in 3 years and sign another contract after this one either with the Habs or another team depending on the state of the team then. Or he could simply bolt back to Russia.

It's not that unrealistic in that context.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Well a 3 years term bring him to 35. So he may have accepted shorter term for a higher salary (7m ?) so that he could see what his options are in 3 years and sign another contract after this one either with the Habs or another team depending on the state of the team then. Or he could simply bolt back to Russia.

It's not that unrealistic in that context.

I mean he's 30 years old today. 3 years from now he'll be 33 years old. If I were him, I'd look for a contract that takes me to 35 since this is as good as I'll probably be.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
I mean he's 30 years old today. 3 years from now he'll be 33 years old. If I were him, I'd look for a contract that takes me to 35 since this is as good as I'll probably be.

He will be 31 in July so 3 years bring him to 34 when he'll be UFA again. I said 3 years will bring him to 35... my mistake.

So yeah he could look for a 4 years contract i guess. I'd be fine with that as well. Anything north of 5 years however and we may be asking for trouble imho. 3 or 4 would be ideal

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
If he's like most Russian players it will be all about the money. NOt that it isn't with most players but they tend to overvalue themselves. He was really solid on a prove it contract but now he probably wants a 5 year deal.

I don't see him signing here. And I would not overpay him. It handicaps your team in years to come.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
How often are reports and tweets right? 1% - 10% of the time? We have to remember, reporters say what they need to say and articles are written for pay checks.

How does anybody know how negotiations are going?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If he's like most Russian players it will be all about the money. NOt that it isn't with most players but they tend to overvalue themselves. He was really solid on a prove it contract but now he probably wants a 5 year deal.

I don't see him signing here. And I would not overpay him. It handicaps your team in years to come.

$7M for 5 years would not handicap us for a talent like Radulov from age 31-35. Habs need to get this deal done. We can't take steps back at this point. Steps forward please.

If Bergevin plays hard ball on a 2 or 3 year deal, he will lose! Give him the 4 or 5 year deal.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
How often are reports and tweets right? 1% - 10% of the time? We have to remember, reporters say what they need to say and articles are written for pay checks.

How does anybody know how negotiations are going?

I think people have a hard time to deal with uncertainty, that's why hacks like Laraque and Marinaro exist.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
$7M for 5 years would not handicap us for a talent like Radulov from age 31-35. Habs need to get this deal done. We can't take steps back at this point. Steps forward please.

If Bergevin plays hard ball on a 2 or 3 year deal, he will lose! Give him the 4 or 5 year deal.

oh come on, when has he ever done something remotely close to that?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
oh come on, when has he ever done something remotely close to that?

It's all about circumstances. Bergevin needs to give in a bit or we lose Radulov and take a step back. It's not the end of the world if it happens but not what most fans want.

Radulov is a Habs. Lets keep it that way till he is 34 or 35

Last edited:

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az

Not sure about that much money for a guy like him.

but if you do look at his career he does not have a lot of mileage on his body.

8 years playing in Russia at around 50 games per year.

I still think 3-4 years is more reasonable. But 7 million? That's nuts. Look at his stats line years past. Does it warrant this type of money?

The key with Rad is if we lose him we can replace him with another UFA like Oshie (probably unreasonable will be overpayed) or Kovy from Russia.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Not sure about that much money for a guy like him.

but if you do look at his career he does not have a lot of mileage on his body.

8 years playing in Russia at around 50 games per year.

I still think 3-4 years is more reasonable. But 7 million? That's nuts. Look at his stats line years past. Does it warrant this type of money?

The key with Rad is if we lose him we can replace him with another UFA like Oshie (probably unreasonable will be overpayed) or Kovy from Russia.

I think Radulov would take $6.25 or $6.5M for 5 years. However, If he wants $7M or he walks, I would give it to him. Contract till age 35 is not a bad thing with a talent like Radulov. Were not talking about Pleky here and he was signed till 35 at $6M. Get the deal done. They are close no doubt in my mind.

If he walks, I will be curious to see what he signs for.

As for other options, there are some but nothing in terms of a talent like Radulov. He makes players around him better. That is rare today.

antoniojr

pretty mint.
Feb 21, 2008
Montreal, the only hockey market where speculations of speculations are speculated on...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad