Player Discussion Alexander Radulov Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harpo

Lyle forever
Sep 20, 2007
Quebec City
2015: We suck and we're boring, but that Subban guy is exciting.
2016: We suck and we're boring, but that Radulov guy is exciting.
2017: We suck and we're boring, but that Drouin guy is exciting.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
In the scenario presented... Radulov's replacement, by position, ends up being Drouin.

Hanzal is just filling a gaping hole, so it's difficult to not improve on that

So how do we replace Sergachev's value? He was top 5 in terms of value in organization? Drouin just fills hole in top 6 LW (spot occupied by Galchenyuk out of need a lot of times).

This team will never have elite forwards but it can potentially have 4-5 guys capable of 50-65 points with some variety. Weber still only 32 so hopefully he can still be effective for a couple years to hold up the defensive end, same with Radulov...who is younger.
Drouin/Radulov like to have puck on stick and make plays. Galchenyuk/Pacioretty have great shot and can score. Gallagher can grind and play in dirty areas. The so close yet so far pain of never seeing that on ice is real.

Last edited:

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Maybe not having Markov and Radulov signing is a blessing in disguise. Bergevin knows the UFAs market is weak this year and i doubt that he goes and give big money to players other than Markov and Radulov. The team will be weak which might means that Price wont resign since he probably wants to win a Stanley Cup and he knows it wont happen with the Habs. If you are going to trade Price, may as well trade Pacioretty. Hopefully someone else than Bergevin will be the GM of the club when the rebuild comes next year.

This team is going nowhere.

void

Jan 5, 2006
The more I look at the depth the more I think MB will actually trade forward for D. A lot of these forwards are MB guys. He's not going to just ditch them, not him style.

Sign Hanzal to replace Radulov:
Pacioretty - Danault - Gallagher
Drouin - Hanzal? - Galchenyuk
Byron - Plekanec - Shaw
Hudon - Mitchell - Lehkonen
DLR/Martinsen

vs do nothing:
Pacioretty - Danault - Radulov
Galchenyuk - Plekanec - Gallagher
Byron - Shaw - Lehkonen
Hudon - Mitchell - McCarron
Martinsen/DLR

More depth achieved, just minus Sergachev. Maybe he'll move a forward like Galchenyuk for D too. Possibility is endless.

Both of these lineups are ugly as hell. Another year of Danault centering the first line... Sigh...

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
So how do we replace Sergachev's value? He was top 5 in terms of value in organization? Drouin just fills hole in top 6 LW (spot occupied by Galchenyuk out of need a lot of times).

This team will never have elite forwards but it can potentially have 4-5 guys capable of 50-65 points with some variety. Weber still only 32 so hopefully he can still be effective for a couple years to hold up the defensive end, same with Radulov...who is younger.
Drouin/Radulov like to have puck on stick and make plays. Galchenyuk/Pacioretty have great shot and can score. Gallagher can grind and play in dirty areas. The so close yet so far pain of never seeing that on ice is real.

It's the cost of doing business when you want to improve your team.

MB has struggled to find this team top 6 help, ESPECIALLY on s long term basis, guys like Brière, Ryder, Vanek, Parenteau and even Radulov to a certain degree...

Are all short term solutions...

So what does he do? He pays a high cost to do something everyone has rightfully criticised him for, by trading Sergachev for Drouin.

A 22yr old player who is a top 6 forward and already a core player.

So now we move on to criticizing him for the price paid to acquire what we all wanted him to get???

What am I missing? I'm not even being sarcastic here...

crazyd

Canada is hockey
Jul 2, 2006
2015: We suck and we're boring, but that Subban guy is exciting.
2016: We suck and we're boring, but that Radulov guy is exciting.
2017: We suck and we're boring, but that Drouin guy is exciting.

You made me smile and sad at the same time...

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Maybe not having Markov and Radulov signing is a blessing in disguise. Bergevin knows the UFAs market is weak this year and i doubt that he goes and give big money to players other than Markov and Radulov. The team will be weak which might means that Price wont resign since he probably wants to win a Stanley Cup and he knows it wont happen with the Habs. If you are going to trade Price, may as well trade Pacioretty. Hopefully someone else than Bergevin will be the GM of the club when the rebuild comes next year.

This team is going nowhere.

No sense in you watching the games next year then........

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006

MB has struggled to find this team top 6 help, ESPECIALLY on s long term basis, guys like Brière, Ryder, Vanek, Parenteau and even Radulov to a certain degree...

So what does he do? He pays a high cost to do something everyone has rightfully criticised him for, by trading Sergachev for Drouin.

So now we move on to criticizing him for the price paid to acquire what we all wanted him to get???

It's simple, Habs need puck skill and creativity, top 6 C, and top 4 LD.

He added a 50-60 pt guy with great puck skill and creativity. Turns out it is to replace the one 50-60 pt guy already had on the team that has skill and creativity with the puck.

Habs still need puck skill and creativity, top 6 C, and top 4D and now dont have one of their best trade assets.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Question for the posters who think an extra year or two for Radulov would kill us.

We currently have Plekanec with a 6m cap hit providing very little. Does that mean we are screwed this season unless we get rid of him?

crazyd

Canada is hockey
Jul 2, 2006
The rumoured deal for Radulov isn't a super long contract: 6 years apparently. How long into that deal do you reasonably think it's going to turn sour?

If we use as a comparison the 6 steps of grief:

1st year: Shock
He signed for how much?!?!?! How long?!?!?! Well really our hands were tied, only top 6 UFA available, brought spunk in the line up...

2nd year: Acceptance
Hey a repeat of last season, even reached 20 goals, woot, woot! Yeah, yeah we did good signing him.

3rd year: Bargaining
Well...ok..yaddy yadda...we had some issues this year....quite understandable that he didn't perform as expected...everything will get back into place with the young players coming in....it will boost the energy...

4th year: Denial
I never said we had made a good signing. Nope never, quite contrary, said it was going to bite us in the butt...

5th year: Depression
Oh lordy, lordy, we suck. Our hands are tied with dead wood, can't manoeuver our cap as needed. And no bottom cap team wants to indulge us with our woes.

6th year: Anger
WTF, another lockout!?!?!?!??! Cap isn't working, players have been insane with their demands....and now we have these horrifying ads and product endorsements on the team jerseys...

...something like that...but I'm no Nostradamus.

In reality, I'm not against giving Rads a 6 year term. It's the cap hit that is important and how it is structured, i.e. front-loaded to help us move him near the end if required.

Last edited:

WG

Sep 9, 2008

It has been noted already, if Drouin is simply replacing Radulov then it is a sideways move that cost our best (only) legit prospect. He'd have been better served just signing Radulov if that's the extent of it.

Radulov at 6 X 6.5 + Sergachev still in the org > Drouin at 6 x 5.5 and no Sergachev (and possibly minus a 2nd rounder as well).

We need to keep the assets we had (including Galchenyuk and Radulov) and add to that.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Question for the posters who think an extra year or two for Radulov would kill us.

We currently have Plekanec with a 6m cap hit providing very little. Does that mean we are screwed this season unless we get rid of him?

Not screwed, but the options are more limited due to the cap hit. A player of Plekanec's abilities is useful, but not so much at $6M. That's why I think he has some middling value in a trade if a salary retention of $2M was in place. The additional $4M is a valuable asset in itself.

crazyd

Canada is hockey
Jul 2, 2006

I am sure 100% that his cap hit was a means to protect him from the expansion.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

He signed for how much?!?!?! How long?!?!?! Well really our hands were tied, only top 6 UFA available, brought spunk in the line up...

Hey a repeat of last season, even reached 20 goals, woot, woot! Yeah, yeah we did good signing him.

Well...ok..yaddy yadda...we had some issues this year....quite understandable that he didn't perform as expected...everything will get back into place with the young players coming in....it will boost the energy...

I never said we had made a good signing. Nope never, quite contrary, said it was going to bite us in the butt...

Oh lordy, lordy, we suck. Our hands are tied with dead wood, can't manoeuver our cap as needed. And no bottom cap team wants to indulge us with our woes.

WTF, another lockout!?!?!?!??! Cap isn't working, players have been insane with their demands....and now we have these horrifying ads and product endorsements on the team jerseys...

:laugh:

In reality, I'm not against giving Rads a 6 year term. It's the cap hit that is important and how it is structured, i.e. front-loaded to help us move him near the end if required.

Word.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010

Well...ok..yaddy yadda...we had some issues this year....quite understandable that he didn't perform as expected...everything will get back into place with the youngs players coming in....it will boost the energy...

Honest question;

Who gives a **** what happens in 6 years? 8 years?

How old is Price by then? Weber? Pacioretty? The cup window will be over by that time. We'll be looking at a rebuild.

Washington were smart enough to understand that with Oshie. Signing him at an affordable contract for 8 years allows them to compete more easily in the foreseeable future, while their core assets are still top contributors. By the time Oshie's contract becomes a burden, Ovechkin might be retired. Backstrom might be an over-the-hill middle six center. Holtby might not even be a starter by then.

They have a lot more flexibility with his 5.75M cap-hit to compete for a cup than they would have had with a 7M contract with shorter term. They know they need to go all in while they still have a chance at a cup.

We're in a similar situation, except we're even further from the goal than Washington. We don't have as many assets to compete, and losing Radulow would decimate this team. Sure, Drouin more or less negates his loss, but we also lost Sergachev in the process. In any case, our offense was weak last year. We need to improve it substantially. Swapping Radulov for Drouin doesn't improve it substantially, if at all. Adding Drouin on top of Radulov... Now you're going somewhere.

Winning a cup in the salary cup era is all about timing. Our time is in the near future. What happens in 8 years is a problem for another day. And if, by any miracle, we're still a contender by then, you can move these contracts around fairly easily if you're willing to pay the price. Clarksson was moved, twice. Bickell was moved. Datsyuk was moved. It's a non issue.

Give me the choice between Radulov for 8 years at 5.75M and Radulov for 4 years at 7.5M, and I pick the 8 years contract.

get25

Oct 17, 2015

Interesting.
Plekanec was given 6M after a 60 and a 54 points season.

Gomez came in and scored 59 points at 29.

The 7M would certainly kill us as this could be used in every deal for the next 6 years.

Anyway, we will see pretty soon.
UFA market will talk.

void

Jan 5, 2006
6 years for Radulov is too much imo. However, Bergevin has dug himself into a massive hole and he basically has no choice but to give him almost anything he wants. If Radulov walks, then what? Replace him Drouin? Which means they'd pretty much be in the exact same position as last year? We saw how that worked out in the playoffs so no thanks.

If they don't keep Radulov then they absolutely HAVE to find someone of his caliber to replace him. They also need a legit 1C because Danault is nowhere near good enough for that role. Maybe Galchenyuk will be that 1C but I doubt it considering how Julien feels about him. Finally, they need a top pairing defenseman to play with Weber.

Bergevin has lots of work to do this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad