Player Discussion Alexander Khokhlachev

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
All the Bruins need to do is tender a qualifying offer. Koko will almost assuredly turn it down. They do that every year and they hold onto his rights until the season of his 27th birthday. If Koko wants to spend the next 5 seasons in the KHL (I doubt he does) then it is his right.

Best case scenario, he goes there and lights up the KHL for a couple of years, builds up his trade value, and the Bruins can trade his rights. At worst, he goes there and fails and we are where we are at now - next to zero value.

The Bruins allowed him to go to the KHL once - and they had the right to prevent that since he was under contract - and it didn't go well. Not only did his game not translate to the KHL, but he was not developing the other areas of his game and alas, asked him to come back to North America and he did.

It's no secret I liked the Koko pick when he was drafted. I would have taken him before Namestnikov (that was no secret at the draft) so it isn't a dislike of the player from me. It's more disappointment.

Thanks for all the info Dom, I too had no issues with him when chosen, hadn`t seen him play so much of my intrigue and optimism stemmed from comments from what you and a few others I respect shared about his game on here. Disappointment for me too.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Game 4 nov 2015
4 for 6
15 shifts
9 mins.
First star of game and sent back to providence

It was actually November 2014. The reason he got the 1st star? A shoot out goal. A shoot out that spanned 7 round with Khoko being the only one to score from both teams.

Fact :

0-0-0 -4 7/13 shots 4 hits 9 GP. Not a 4th line type player, not worthy of being in the top 9. Why keep Khoko up when you have Vatrano? He got leaped over by other prospects because they showed more. A team fighting for the playoffs doesn't have the luxary of waiting it out with him when other better options existed.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
It was actually November 2014. The reason he got the 1st star? A shoot out goal. A shoot out that spanned 7 round with Khoko being the only one to score from both teams.

Fact :

0-0-0 -4 7/13 shots 4 hits 9 GP. Not a 4th line type player, not worthy of being in the top 9. Why keep Khoko up when you have Vatrano? He got leaped over by other prospects because they showed more. A team fighting for the playoffs doesn't have the luxary of waiting it out with him when other better options existed.

and it wasn`t just that they showed more on the score sheet, it wasn`t/isn`t like Vatrano`s torrid scoring pace at the AHL level followed him to the B`s when called up, but watch him shift in and out, isn`t playing afraid to make mistakes (and he does make them), busts his arse and shift in and out, is engaged.

Spoons too has had his lumps, went down to Providence and when given his chance, has shown a willingness and a drastic improvement in the D zone (not a finished product).

I`ll never believe CJ wants all his C-men to be like Bergy, he asks them to be responsible defensively, which often leads to offensive opportunities. When Spoons started to get a few looks in Boston, he was like a deer in the headlights, lost from the red-line into his own zone, it`s not like that anymore, he won`t win every battle but he`s now engaged and recognizes where he needs to/should be.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
and it wasn`t just that they showed more on the score sheet, it wasn`t/isn`t like Vatrano`s torrid scoring pace at the AHL level followed him to the B`s when called up, but watch him shift in and out, isn`t playing afraid to make mistakes (and he does make them), busts his arse and shift in and out, is engaged.

Spoons too has had his lumps, went down to Providence and when given his chance, has shown a willingness and a drastic improvement in the D zone (not a finished product).

I`ll never believe CJ wants all his C-men to be like Bergy, he asks them to be responsible defensively, which often leads to offensive opportunities. When Spoons started to get a few looks in Boston, he was like a deer in the headlights, lost from the red-line into his own zone, it`s not like that anymore, he won`t win every battle but he`s now engaged and recognizes where he needs to/should be.

Khovo was even given a shot when Spooner didn't stick at first last year, and showed nothing to get more chances at the NHL level, then Spooner broke out and he was passed by...again...because of himself

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I don't agree Blowfish. Brad Marchand started out playing 10 minutes a night with fourth liners in 2011, but we could all see he had it and was ready to make an impact. Spooner played 12, 11, 8, 12, 8 minutes his first 5 NHL games and he scored 4 points and was a +2.

Koko had 9 games has ZERO points and is a -4. Those numbers don't exactly scream "I'm ready." And fwiw, I like the player and think he has NHL talent, I just think he was too impatient. He's acting like he's entitled to an NHL spot, rather than someone who has to EARN an NHL spot.

I said in another thread that, with rare exception, I expect rookies to have to play at least two full seasons in the minors and that second season better be dominant- or they should have to go back for a third to reach that dominant level. Better to have them overripe than underdeveloped, as GM's say. Koko's second year stunk, he took a clear step back in effort and production. He finally had his dominant year this year (yr3) and if not for him popping off I think he'd be a kid they'd be trying to find room for, the way they're doing for Vatrano. Instead he's been impatient, constantly threatening to leave. Now nobody wants him, not Boston or any other organization.

Last edited:

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I don't agree Blowfish. Brad Marchand started out playing 10 minutes a night with fourth liners in 2011, but we could all see he had it and was ready to make an impact. Koko didn't do that. At all.

I said in another thread that, with rare exception, I expect rookies to have to play at least two full seasons in the minors and that second season better be dominant- or they should have to go back for a third to reach that dominant level. Better to have them overripe than underdeveloped, as GM's say. Koko's second year stunk, he took a clear step back in effort and production. He finally had his dominant year this year (yr3) and if not for him popping off I think he'd be a kid they'd be trying to find room for, the way they're doing for Vatrano. Instead he's been impatient, constantly threatening to leave. Now nobody wants him, not Boston or any other organization.

I'll agree with all of it but the bolded.

Bruins general manager Don Sweeney is willing to trade Khokhlachev in the right deal, which might give the player another option before a deal with St. Petersburg is official.

“We had exit meetings with him. He still wants to play in the National Hockey League. He’s made it pretty clear that he doesn’t think his path is here,” Sweeney said. “I told him I would explore things as a possible opportunity elsewhere for him. I think ideally his first choice is to play [in the NHL]. He believes he should be either playing in the NHL or playing in the KHL. So one of those two things will happen. A lot of it’s up to him.

I think there are several teams that would offer a conditional pick - a pick that could very well turn out to be nothing. Bruins would be better off qualifying him and hope he makes it in the KHL and then trading him - that would be more value in return. But then if he doesn't excel, then we are back to nothing.

Last edited:

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I don't agree Blowfish. Brad Marchand started out playing 10 minutes a night with fourth liners in 2011, but we could all see he had it and was ready to make an impact.

Actually, Marchand's first 20 games were in the 2009-2010 season and he had 1 POINT in that span. A lot of people were ready to write him off as a prospect after not doing much of anything in his first 20 games as a Bruin. Nobody after that first 20 games saw him as a future 37 goal guy.

By comparison, Koko has only had 9 career games.

Imagine if Claude had run Marchand out of town after only 9 games. Marchand is actually a great illustration of why a kid like Koko needs to be given more of a look in Boston.

bizman

Feb 27, 2009
montreal
Actually, Marchand's first 20 games were in the 2009-2010 season and he had 1 POINT in that span. A lot of people were ready to write him off as a prospect after not doing much of anything in his first 20 games as a Bruin. Nobody after that first 20 games saw him as a future 37 goal guy.

Imagine if Claude had run Marchand out of town after only 9 games. Marchand is actually a great illustration of why a kid like Koko needs to be given more of a look in Boston.

All the guys that did nothing in their first opportunities showed flashes of their skill or intensity. This guy floated around like he was taking a walk in the park.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

I was one of the loudest to voice his opinions on Marchand. I did so being pretty darn PO at him for the way he handled himself when he was traded to the Mooseheads which was despicable.

That said, as each of those 20 games in his stint with the B`s passed, he did SOMETHING, every game, wasn`t necessarily putting points on the board as we all know, but maybe it was a great fore check, a solid play in his own zone that had me fuming as with each passing shifts, it was starting to look like I would be forced to come on here and admit my mistake and eat crow.

Here we have Koko, limited ice time, linemates that admittedly weren`t Rocket Richard threats but, with that scenario, he did NOTHING, not one bloody thing to have me even for a second have a moment where I could look and see something that would have me feeling like I was forced to watching Marchand.

I was intrigued and optimistic about the pick of Koko a few years ago, I was never one who didn`t like this pick when it was made based on the reports from those here who I respect. When he`s had those call-ups, I`ve sat waiting and cheering for him to do something that shows he`s NHL competent and haven`t.

Was his handling poor? I don`t know, I think Chia, now Sweeney and Claude probably hoped he would show he belongs in the pro`s and he`d force their hand to give him a spot, as it turns out, Spooner was/is the one who brought "it" and showed a drive to get better.

Do I think there`s interest from opposing GM`s in him? I don`t know this either, probably some, nowhere near what some here think there is IMO.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I was one of the loudest to voice his opinions on Marchand. I did so being pretty darn PO at him for the way he handled himself when he was traded to the Mooseheads which was despicable.

That said, as each of those 20 games in his stint with the B`s passed, he did SOMETHING, every game, wasn`t necessarily putting points on the board as we all know, but maybe it was a great fore check, a solid play in his own zone that had me fuming as with each passing shifts, it was starting to look like I would be forced to come on here and admit my mistake and eat crow.

Here we have Koko, limited ice time, linemates that admittedly weren`t Rocket Richard threats but, with that scenario, he did NOTHING, not one bloody thing to have me even for a second have a moment where I could look and see something that would have me feeling like I was forced to watching Marchand.

I was intrigued and optimistic about the pick of Koko a few years ago, I was never one who didn`t like this pick when it was made based on the reports from those here who I respect. When he`s had those call-ups, I`ve sat waiting and cheering for him to do something that shows he`s NHL competent and haven`t.

Was his handling poor? I don`t know, I think Chia, now Sweeney and Claude probably hoped he would show he belongs in the pro`s and he`d force their hand to give him a spot, as it turns out, Spooner was/is the one who brought "it" and showed a drive to get better.

Do I think there`s interest from opposing GM`s in him? I don`t know this either, probably some, nowhere near what some here think there is IMO.

A return like Zack Philips for Jared Knight is what I'm expecting. A former prospect that looks like he's busting or a team that's having problems signing a prospect.

Koko for Jimmy Vesey's rights. Koko gets a chance some place, and Nashville gets something for a player that isn't going to be there in a couple of months.

The Special K

Hoss MOFO, Hoss.
Sep 26, 2008
Canal Winchester, OH
All the guys that did nothing in their first opportunities showed flashes of their skill or intensity. This guy floated around like he was taking a walk in the park.

I watched all of the games he played and while he did little, he most certainly did not float. He looked fast every time he was on the ice and mucked in the corners when he needed to. He looked like he was playing too tight, too afraid of making a mistake which really ruined his game and his creativity. Mostly, he looked lost....not sure what he should be doing both offensively and defensively....both can be attributed to the tightness in his game in the NHL. He needs to loosen up and just let his instincts take over.

I have watched Koko since he joined the B's organization (both in Prov & Bos)....and floating is something I can honestly say I have never seen him do.

At any rate, it matters little at this point, he is gone and this conversation is all but pointless.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
A return like Zack Philips for Jared Knight is what I'm expecting. A former prospect that looks like he's busting or a team that's having problems signing a prospect.

Koko for Jimmy Vesey's rights. Koko gets a chance some place, and Nashville gets something for a player that isn't going to be there in a couple of months.

I could see that, to expect more, especially now, isn`t likely

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I watched all of the games he played and while he did little, he most certainly did not float. He looked fast every time he was on the ice and mucked in the corners when he needed to. He looked like he was playing too tight, too afraid of making a mistake which really ruined his game and his creativity. Mostly, he looked lost....not sure what he should be doing both offensively and defensively....both can be attributed to the tightness in his game in the NHL. He needs to loosen up and just let his instincts take over.

I have watched Koko since he joined the B's organization (both in Prov & Bos)....and floating is something I can honestly say I have never seen him do.

At any rate, it matters little at this point, he is gone and this conversation is all but pointless.

Not so sure I would go as far to say he was floating, but he sure didn`t do anything to catch the eye of coaches/GM

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com

That's not true. I did. I think every player needs to go through what Marchand and Spooner and Krejci did, and I say it all the time on these boards.

The difference between Koko and Marchand is that Marchand was dominating at camp. He was dominating in the minors. When he came up he fizzled through the first 20 so he went back down to get more confidence, he worked harder and got stronger, and when he got his next chance, even though it was in limited minutes, you could see he was a different player.

Koko on the other hand, whined and asked to go somewhere else.

You also missed the point I was making to Blowfish. His point was that no player can show they belong with just 10 minutes of ice. So I showed him examples of players who did just that. It's not about how many minutes you get it's what you do with them. Koko fizzled with his first 7, like most players do, the difference is Koko is running away rather than work harder, like Spooner, Marchand, etc. did.

I mean, Spooner is only a year older than Koko and he just got full time duty this year. Yet that timetable so offends Koko that he wants to leave? That's crazy to me.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
That's not true. I did. I think every player needs to go through what Marchand and Spooner and Krejci did, and I say it all the time on these boards.

The difference between Koko and Marchand is that Marchand was dominating at camp. He was dominating in the minors. When he came up he fizzled through the first 20 so he went back down to get more confidence, he worked harder and got stronger, and when he got his next chance, even though it was in limited minutes, you could see he was a different player.

Koko on the other hand, whined and asked to go somewhere else.

You also missed the point I was making to Blowfish. His point was that no player can show they belong with just 10 minutes of ice. So I showed him examples of players who did just that. It's not about how many minutes you get it's what you do with them. Koko fizzled with his first 7, like most players do, the difference is Koko is running away rather than work harder, like Spooner, Marchand, etc. did.

I mean, Spooner is only a year older than Koko and he just got full time duty this year. Yet that timetable so offends Koko that he wants to leave? That's crazy to me.

Great post

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I'll agree with all of it but the bolded.

Bruins general manager Don Sweeney is willing to trade Khokhlachev in the right deal, which might give the player another option before a deal with St. Petersburg is official.

“We had exit meetings with him. He still wants to play in the National Hockey League. He’s made it pretty clear that he doesn’t think his path is here,†Sweeney said. “I told him I would explore things as a possible opportunity elsewhere for him. I think ideally his first choice is to play [in the NHL]. He believes he should be either playing in the NHL or playing in the KHL. So one of those two things will happen. A lot of it’s up to him.

I think there are several teams that would offer a conditional pick - a pick that could very well turn out to be nothing. Bruins would be better off qualifying him and hope he makes it in the KHL and then trading him - that would be more value in return. But then if he doesn't excel, then we are back to nothing.

Thanks for that.

It's a shame, because I think he has real talent. I just think he's being impatient.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008

I don't disagree with you. But in his position, he is only going to get a chance if he is better than Bergeron, Krejci, and now Spooner.

Not impossible, but if being asked truthfully, his answer is he'd rather go to a team where he has a legitimate chance to make it. In this scenario, his only real chance is injuries to the right players. Which no one really wants. Yes, he's being impatient, but can't fault him for worrying about his future, too. He's not built for 4th line duty, and he doesn't play wing well. (same could have been said about Spooner). But now Spooner is in that role.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Claude is a genius
Claude is awesome
Claude is great
Claude never makes mistakes
Its never Claude's fault
I named my first born after Claude
In Claude we trust
My hairline is just like Claude's
What would Claude do?
Claude loves younger players
Last thing Claude wants is old veteran 4th liner types taking ice time away from his kids
Claude let the dogs out
Claude is tolerant and patient
Claude thinks his system is out of date and loves when his kids freelance up and down the ice and express themselves
Claude loves Puppies, who doesn't!

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Claude is a genius
Claude is awesome
Claude is great
Its never Claude's fault
In Claude we trust
What would Claude do?
Last thing Claude wants is old veteran 4th liner types taking ice time away from his kids
Claude let the dogs out
Claude thinks his system is out of date and loves when his kids freelance up and down the ice and express themselves

Ooookay....

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
I don't disagree with you. But in his position, he is only going to get a chance if he is better than Bergeron, Krejci, and now Spooner.

Not impossible, but if being asked truthfully, his answer is he'd rather go to a team where he has a legitimate chance to make it. In this scenario, his only real chance is injuries to the right players. Which no one really wants. Yes, he's being impatient, but can't fault him for worrying about his future, too. He's not built for 4th line duty, and he doesn't play wing well. (same could have been said about Spooner). But now Spooner is in that role.

It's on Koko.
It's up to him to seize the opportunity, show he belongs and his willing to do whatever it takes to achieve. Wen players do that teams will make room for them... or trade them to a team that has room for him.

Koko did not do what it takes.Spooner, Acciari are the icing on the cake.

He Only has himself to blame.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Claude is a genius
Claude is awesome
Claude is great
Its never Claude's fault
In Claude we trust
What would Claude do?
Claude let the dogs out

Claude has forgotten more about this game than most of us here will ever understand;)

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Claude has forgotten more about this game than most of us here will ever understand;)

He does hate the kids you know. Look at how he held back Marchand, Krejci, Krug, Krejci, Lucic, McQuaid, Boychuk and now Pastrnak, Vatrano and Acciari. Nefarious.

And of course thinking he's a very good coach means you think he's perfect. That's obvious.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008
It's on Koko.
It's up to him to seize the opportunity, show he belongs and his willing to do whatever it takes to achieve. Wen players do that teams will make room for them... or trade them to a team that has room for him.

I'm not saying he's earned it. Because he hasn't.

But for management, keeping him around for what? To be a depreciating asset?

Spooner is a better 3rd line center than Koko currently. Acciari is a better 4th line center than Koko currently. But Koko is a better 3rd line center than Acciari would be, especially if we were running 3 offensive lines.

My qualm isn't with Koko, he just isn't good enough for the 3 places he'd play. No way to spin it. But does that mean he'd be useless to a team that didn't have Bergeron/Krejci/Spooner as their top 3 centers? To make use of his skills, he's NOT a 4th line center, it's the same as putting Seguin on a line with Chris Kelly, then trading him because he wasn't scoring (amongst other reasons).

How about Kempainen playing 3rd line center over him when we had injuries? He got about 4 times the games than Koko did in the pros this season. How do you seize the opportunity when you are busing around in the AHL, being the teams leading point getter? Not saying he would have seized it when he was up here, nor with injuries could you even say we had "better" options.

Management, which this predicament seems to be the crux with most management teams, don't know whether to cut bait too soon or too late. In Koko's case, I think it's too late.

Another asset about to walk out of here for (probably) nothing.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
It's on Koko.

We seem to swing wildly back and forth on here. Either it's "all on Claude" or "the Bruins" or, on the other, it's "all on Koko".

It's neither, and as usual, the truth is somewhere in the middle.

On the one hand, it's not all on the Bruins as the B's have a lot of young guys they've been trying to fit into the lineup. Spooner was a guy who had an opportunity, and took advantage. But then, that was AFTER he failed to do so the first chance (early last year), and was even trashed by CJ in media for mistakes he had made. Krejci's injury forced the B's to give him another chance and he was better.

On the other hand, anyone here who says they could assess this kid's potential in 9 games is full of baloney, especially as Koko is young and has seen a lot of success in the AHL. He probable could have been better in the games he had, but he should have been given more games.

People say he was being "impatient" asking for the games. You could also interpret that as a kid who is crying for a shot, and wanting to play badly for the B's. Eye of the beholder.

Again, it's neither entirely on the organization, nor on Koko. And it looks like it's beyond repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad