Proposal: Alexander Kerfoot for Lawson Crouse

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I mean.. did Dubas make that trade knowing nothing about Barrie? Knowing nothing about how another purely OFD was the last thing a high scoring team needed? Knowing how his coach would never be utilizing him to the best of his ability in his offensively stifling system?

It's just obvious there is a huge discrepancy between the game the players play, the inbalanced team Dubas has built, and Babcock thinking he can still get away with 2008 Wings hockey. The problem is we are weeks away from 2020 and he doesn't have the horses like prime Selke Datsyuk and Zetterberg to run that system.

Either way Dubas cant be too pleased the main piece of his biggest move as GM has been an abject failure and the players he invested big money in to take this franchise to new heights appear to be held back by Babcock. It's a bad look for him so IMO the clock is ticking for a change behind the bench.

As for this trade though this is the type of move I would be looking to make if I were Dubas. Without having to tear the core apart the easiest solution is to try and get some of the balance, two way hockey and grit that was lost with Kadri and Brown. The Leafs already were a team that needed more of that to begin with, not less.

To this I say, show me a GM who has never made a bad move or trade. Fact is, a lot of players were painfully average here and went on to play good hockey elsewhere and the list is quite long.

Dubas wanted to fire Babcock but got overruled by Shanny if the rumors are true last offseason.

So if things are accurate, we have a lame duck GM, a coach who is not a good fit for this group, a team that doesn't have a good balance of abilities and maybe a locker room that lacks accountability or confidence not sure.

Things are bad but meh. Things are bad enough for Leaf fans without other fans trying to make it worse. I'll be more concerned if there is nothing done to address this going forward. If they think what has happened this season so far is acceptable then there are bigger problems. Their PP and PK are just not acceptable.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
It's been 20 games. We have no idea what the problem has been.. Coaching, bad mix of players, etc. However 20 games is just too little time to make statements like this.

And Kerfoot is 1M cheaper than Kadri who was a 40 point center here. He's saved cap and filled the hole while getting a top 4 D. Sometimes players don't fit a team.. That happens to every GM.

No it doesn't "happen" to every GM, only the bad ones. That being said, I have to give Dubas a little bit of leeway here. He CLEARLY wanted Brody and Janikowski instead, but Kadri nixed that trade.

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
No it doesn't "happen" to every GM, only the bad ones. That being said, I have to give Dubas a little bit of leeway here. He CLEARLY wanted Brody and Janikowski instead, but Kadri nixed that trade.

You trying to say no good GM makes a trade that doesn't work out? Bull IMO. Name a good GM and I can name a trade that didn't work out.

Reactions: Jakey53

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
You trying to say no good GM makes a trade that doesn't work out? Bull IMO. Name a good GM and I can name a trade that didn't work out.

Don’t call it a trade that didn’t work out, call it what it is, a bad trade at this point in time.

Dubas has done nothing to say he is a good GM.

Reactions: Steeler23

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
Don’t call it a trade that didn’t work out, call it what it is, a bad trade at this point in time.

Dubas has done nothing to say he is a good GM.

Sure. He got Tavares and managed to keep all the stars when people said he couldn't. You are a poster who has an axe to grind with the Leafs and Dubas in general so I am not overly concerned about your opinion on this.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Sure. He got Tavares and managed to keep all the stars when people said he couldn't. You are a poster who has an axe to grind with the Leafs and Dubas in general so I am not overly concerned about your opinion on this.

Tavares didnt go to the leafs because of Dubas, come on now. He went because its his home town team that were trending up and he didnt want to stick with a struggling team. Doesnt look good for him right now though.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
This is a trade Toronto should be all over. They're the most unbalanced team in the league and could really use someone like Crouse. But naturally Leafs fans are overrating Kerfoot to justify how bad of a fit Barrie has been under Babcock to try and deflect from the fact their 25 year old nerd GM got racked by Sakic in the Kadri trade
No, Kerfoot has been very good for the Leafs. Certainly, Barrie has played poorly but they are unrelated. As for Lawson Crouse- I like him as I like the style of play he brings, but talent wise, Kerfoot is better.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Tavares didnt go to the leafs because of Dubas, come on now. He went because its his home town team that were trending up and he didnt want to stick with a struggling team. Doesnt look good for him right now though.
He went to the Leafs because of the presentation Toronto made. It was made by Dubas.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Dubas was definitely a hardo in HS with his powerpoint presentations with the elaborate sound effects and slide transitions
Like you, I know nothing of what was invoked in the presentation. However, it did convince Tavares to come to Toronto over Long Island and San Jose.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
This is a trade Toronto should be all over. They're the most unbalanced team in the league and could really use someone like Crouse. But naturally Leafs fans are overrating Kerfoot to justify how bad of a fit Barrie has been under Babcock to try and deflect from the fact their 25 year old nerd GM got racked by Sakic in the Kadri trade

Low effort. Toronto has no replacement for the 3C role, why delve into this deluge of armchair psychological egoism analysis when plain logistics is a sufficient explanation.

Reactions: Morgs

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I don't know why Toronto would trade a cheap 3C that has worked well for them.
I also wouldn't have any interest in trading a 22 yr old PWF prospect who can skate, is already defensively solid, part of the PK unit, is on pace for more than 10 goals again with limited minutes, and is the only physical presence on the roster.

On the balance, Toronto is probably a loser in this deal, but as much as I like Kerfoot, I can't see moving Crouse for another small middle-six forward. If we had more size in the lineup and weren't so soft, it'd be a harder decision.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I don't know why Toronto would trade a cheap 3C that has worked well for them.
I also wouldn't have any interest in trading a 22 yr old PWF prospect who can skate, is already defensively solid, part of the PK unit, is on pace for more than 10 goals again with limited minutes, and is the only physical presence on the roster.

On the balance, Toronto is probably a loser in this deal, but as much as I like Kerfoot, I can't see moving Crouse for another small middle-six forward. If we had more size in the lineup and weren't so soft, it'd be a harder decision.
I believe they would do the move for the same reason you don't want to move him. His play style is a rarity for this league, most teams have someone, but they aren't all that common. Toronto probably loses this trade on paper. They may have to lose a couple trades on paper to become harder to play against defensively and physically. It could be the way they get their interpretation of Tom Wilson, for a player that may be difficult to replace, but not impossible from my view.

I do think the Coyotes makeup makes this more unlikely. But, I believe that Chayka is kind of in the Dubas mold regarding analytics and skill over brawn. If Dubas is forced to switch philosophies first, Chayka may not be the worst target, similar to how Dubas traded Kadri in the summer.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Garland and Keller are strictly wingers, Crouse is a mediocre 4th line player. You have the wrong team not touching this....
A mediocre 4th line winger eh? 3 less points than Kerfoot with one less game played and he brings a whole lot of other things to the table. He’s great on the PK. He’s the guy Tocchet throws over the boards to defend a lead against an empty net. He’s physical as shit.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Eh, pretty sure Flames and Stars laugh att that...
They have a pretty good track record of roughly 3rd line production, but haven't shown that they're going to excel past that slot. Bracco seems to be a top-9 forward who hasn't been given a chance and a decent pick is thrown in. Could be worse, like with Kerfoot and Crouse, Bracco is likely to be more productive in the NHL imo. The Leafs trade skill for heavy again.

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
And he also gets to be paid out $11 million a year while doing it, couldn't hurt

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
They have a pretty good track record of roughly 3rd line production, but haven't shown that they're going to excel past that slot. Bracco seems to be a top-9 forward who hasn't been given a chance and a decent pick is thrown in. Could be worse, like with Kerfoot and Crouse, Bracco is likely to be more productive in the NHL imo. The Leafs trade skill for heavy again.
So Dallas trade their shutdown center for a undersized winger?drop your homerglasses. Gardner for Bracco would be closer if you want size.
Flames will never trade Bennett for spare parts, would mean defeat for their scouting.

Jan 21, 2018
Crouse is basically untouchable for anyone other than an overpayment. The last thing the Coyotes need is another small top 9 forward that isn't overly special.

I almost forgot we were talking about Crouse for a second. The guy scores like 10 points a year more than I do yet he's untouchable barring an overpayment lol

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
So Dallas trade their shutdown center for a undersized winger?drop your homerglasses. Gardner for Bracco would be closer if you want size.
Flames will never trade Bennett for spare parts, would mean defeat for their scouting.
Depends on a GM's view of Bracco. He could come in and score 50 points next year in the right environment. Looks a bit different then. Dallas could look to change their makeup if they are missing the playoffs before Faksa gets a pay raise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad