Proposal: Alexander Kerfoot for Lawson Crouse

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Kerfoot is a little older but locked into a fair value contract with an extra year of term. He is a higher scoring player. The Coyotes to my knowledge still struggle to score in relation to top teams. Crouse has underachieved offensively through out his career. He could plateau as a 25 point winger or boom into a 50 point unicorn. Kerfoot can perform in the middle-6 at center or left wing and brings a speedy puck possession game. I feel the value at this time is fair. Kerfoot has done more so far in the NHL, Crouse is younger and has a unique potential to his game. Perhaps both teams could use the other guy more to compliment their team.

The Leafs would have to make a follow up move to fix the center ice position. But, with more cap room to wiggle and a prime chip in Bracco to parlay they should be able to find something that works in line with this proposal, to bring beef to Toronto. My idea is Bracco + a pick for Faksa as Dallas doesn't seem like a playoff team and could look at selling. Crouse may also be blocked in the short term by Mikheyev in Toronto. I would look to move Mikheyev in the summer when he gets a pay increase for a D or picks and then I'd call up Egor to replace Crouse on line #4 in this scenario.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I don't think yotes do this. Big forwards take a long time to develop and he's too unique to acquire. If they wanted Kerfoot, I think they can find one in UFA easier.

Hogan20

Leader of the JJ Moser Fan Club
May 1, 2016
Maine
Crouse is basically untouchable for anyone other than an overpayment. The last thing the Coyotes need is another small top 9 forward that isn't overly special.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Kerfoot is a little older but locked into a fair value contract with an extra year of term. He is a higher scoring player. The Coyotes to my knowledge still struggle to score in relation to top teams. Crouse has underachieved offensively through out his career. He could plateau as a 25 point winger or boom into a 50 point unicorn. Kerfoot can perform in the middle-6 at center or left wing and brings a speedy puck possession game. I feel the value at this time is fair. Kerfoot has done more so far in the NHL, Crouse is younger and has a unique potential to his game. Perhaps both teams could use the other guy more to compliment their team.

The Leafs would have to make a follow up move to fix the center ice position. But, with more cap room to wiggle and a prime chip in Bracco to parlay they should be able to find something that works in line with this proposal, to bring beef to Toronto. My idea is Bracco + a pick for Faksa as Dallas doesn't seem like a playoff team and could look at selling. Crouse may also be blocked in the short term by Mikheyev in Toronto. I would look to move Mikheyev in the summer when he gets a pay increase for a D or picks and then I'd call up Egor to replace Crouse on line #4 in this scenario.

Bracco + a pick isn’t going to cut it for Dallas. Faksa is an RFA so no need to move him.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Powerforwards who can keep up in todays game are a very nice commodity to have. They wear you down in the playoffs, it's basically an anti "meta" edge.

Reactions: Jakey53

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Leafs decline. No need to trade our 3c for a 4th line winger. Our center depth is much weaker than our winger depth.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Kerfoot has been surprisingly good as a 3C. Doubt the Leafs move him for a reclamation player when they’re built to win. AZ is also doubtful to trade when he’s still young and can be patient.

Snarky Coyote

Sponsor
May 3, 2009
Now with more snark
We have no interest in the proposal and Toronto seems to have no interest in this proposal I will counter with this offer. Lets just forget about trading, the fit doesn't work for either team.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
This is a trade Toronto should be all over. They're the most unbalanced team in the league and could really use someone like Crouse. But naturally Leafs fans are overrating Kerfoot to justify how bad of a fit Barrie has been under Babcock to try and deflect from the fact their 25 year old nerd GM got racked by Sakic in the Kadri trade

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Arizona doesn’t touch this. Crouse fills a role for them. Kerfoot is a lesser version of a lot of what they already have (Keller, Garland, Schmaltz).

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
This is a trade Toronto should be all over. They're the most unbalanced team in the league and could really use someone like Crouse. But naturally Leafs fans are overrating Kerfoot to justify how bad of a fit Barrie has been under Babcock to try and deflect from the fact their 25 year old nerd GM got racked by Sakic in the Kadri trade

It's been 20 games. We have no idea what the problem has been.. Coaching, bad mix of players, etc. However 20 games is just too little time to make statements like this.

And Kerfoot is 1M cheaper than Kadri who was a 40 point center here. He's saved cap and filled the hole while getting a top 4 D. Sometimes players don't fit a team.. That happens to every GM.

Steveei

Sep 10, 2012
Doesnt make much sense for Leafs. Are they not in win now mode for the next 2-3 years till Andersen and Rielly contract is up? Kerfoot is the better player now and a big role @ 3C.. unless you think Spezza will do just as good at 3C?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Arizona doesn’t touch this. Crouse fills a role for them. Kerfoot is a lesser version of a lot of what they already have (Keller, Garland, Schmaltz).

Garland and Keller are strictly wingers, Crouse is a mediocre 4th line player. You have the wrong team not touching this....

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
It's been 20 games. We have no idea what the problem has been.. Coaching, bad mix of players, etc. However 20 games is just too little time to make statements like this.

And Kerfoot is 1M cheaper than Kadri who was a 40 point center here. He's saved cap and filled the hole while getting a top 4 D. Sometimes players don't fit a team.. That happens to every GM.

Kadri was lower than a 50 point pace with the Leafs in only twice, and I definitely don't think in year 3 of the Leafs being top flight contenders that it's too soon to say Babcock doesn't know how to get the most out of the team and needs to go

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Kadri was lower than a 50 point pace with the Leafs in only twice, and I definitely don't think in year 3 of the Leafs being top flight contenders that it's too soon to say Babcock doesn't know how to get the most out of the team and needs to go

Kadri was got lower than 50 because he was getting 3rd line minutes with 3rd line linemates. It was a luxury not a need. They had to move salary and talent from F to D, so instead of giving up the 23 and under core, they gave up a 29 year old who had gotten himself suspended two playoffs in a row because he couldn't keep his head cool.

I like Kadri, but I understand why he had to go. Dubas got a cheaper replacement back and upgraded the defense in the process. In a vacuum it's a good trade.

Like I said, it doesn't always work out. Babcock for sure is looking like he might be the one who has to go. Almost a calendar year of the team sucking now... The same team dominated for a year and a half (well not dominated but were a top 5 team) and then it was like they all tuned him out starting last spring.

We'll see. I am just saying that anyone trying to make "gotcha" comments 20 games in will have it come back to them. We saw teams underperform to expectations the past few years (Blues, Pens) and get a coaching change and catch fire and go deep. Hell, even Carolina took a massive step once they brought in a coach who got the players to buy in.

Reactions: Jared Dunn

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
What? Kerfoot has played well so far. We're not trading a decent scoring 3C for a 4th line winger with potential and I don't care how big he is. We've got cheap wing depth in droves and plenty of them are big bodies. Mikheyev is a great example, we've got guys on the Marlies like Engvall and Korshkov who might fill the role as well.

Glad to hear that Crouse is a valuable piece for Arizona, but the Leafs aren't trading a centre for a winger who scores half as many points.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Kadri was got lower than 50 because he was getting 3rd line minutes with 3rd line linemates. It was a luxury not a need. They had to move salary and talent from F to D, so instead of giving up the 23 and under core, they gave up a 29 year old who had gotten himself suspended two playoffs in a row because he couldn't keep his head cool.

I like Kadri, but I understand why he had to go. Dubas got a cheaper replacement back and upgraded the defense in the process. In a vacuum it's a good trade.

Like I said, it doesn't always work out. Babcock for sure is looking like he might be the one who has to go. Almost a calendar year of the team sucking now... The same team dominated for a year and a half (well not dominated but were a top 5 team) and then it was like they all tuned him out starting last spring.

We'll see. I am just saying that anyone trying to make "gotcha" comments 20 games in will have it come back to them. We saw teams underperform to expectations the past few years (Blues, Pens) and get a coaching change and catch fire and go deep. Hell, even Carolina took a massive step once they brought in a coach who got the players to buy in.

Honestly I think I misunderstood both halves of your comment it seems like we're on the same page lol

I think it's wild that people are still on Babcock's side. Even if they're losing, with their current roster the Leafs should have 82 exciting games. Babcock is too stubborn to adapt his style of game to one that the team is built to play, and it's been absolutely uninspired hockey

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC

I mean.. did Dubas make that trade knowing nothing about Barrie? Knowing nothing about how another purely OFD was the last thing a high scoring team needed? Knowing how his coach would never be utilizing him to the best of his ability in his offensively stifling system?

It's just obvious there is a huge discrepancy between the game the players play, the inbalanced team Dubas has built, and Babcock thinking he can still get away with 2008 Wings hockey. The problem is we are weeks away from 2020 and he doesn't have the horses like prime Selke Datsyuk and Zetterberg to run that system.

Either way Dubas cant be too pleased the main piece of his biggest move as GM has been an abject failure and the players he invested big money in to take this franchise to new heights appear to be held back by Babcock. It's a bad look for him so IMO the clock is ticking for a change behind the bench.

As for this trade though this is the type of move I would be looking to make if I were Dubas. Without having to tear the core apart the easiest solution is to try and get some of the balance, two way hockey and grit that was lost with Kadri and Brown. The Leafs already were a team that needed more of that to begin with, not less.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad