Alexander Kerfoot Discussion Thread

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
on a seperate note that kadri trade look pretty good at this point ..
dubas worst move has shifted over to the foligno overpayment and even that can change going forward

Looking at the trade as it was originally proposed was Brodie and a 4th line winger with retention. That is still the better trade IMO.
I think we can replace Kerfoot with the $3.5. Under normal circumstances Kerfoot is not in our top 6.

Mar 12, 2009
He's been pretty consistently a good, hard working player with two way ability. Not being 6'0+ combined with not being a n elite scorer made him the scapegoat and whipping boy of way too many people here. He's a really good 3C that can spot on the 2nd line. He's underrated, deserves an appreciation thread.

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
Kerfoot is a luxury for this team. Fantastic depth piece that can play anywhere. Great on the PK too. But wow has he ever hit another gear this postseason.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
He has been our best player with Soup in this series .. there is no denying it .. he is making a ton of tough plays where guys like Willy and Mitch are not going to da tough areas to make plays .. Willy has more speed and a much better shot than Mitch so he is contributing much more .. Mitch I hope he can contribute in round 2 .. if he continues to be a passenger than quite frankly he should be a CAP casualty ..

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
there are no decent centers available ...i suggested that Kerfoot would be the guy we lose if only because he is a natural center, and may have untapped potential if given a bigger role
As do I. I think dermott has the most potential on a much smaller contract.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Yeah I must say the expansion draft picture is tougher to navigate if he keeps this up.

Love those players that step it up in the playoffs. He was strong last year too.
As much as I’ve been one of his loudest supporters on here since day one I don’t see how they can keep him next year without losing another piece like Hyman or whoever is going to split the net with Soup.
He’s unfortunately playing himself out of town by performing too well, difference is now we can probably trade him for net positive assets vs exposing him to Seattle

Reactions: saffronleaf

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Give Kerfoot credit -- he seems to have firmly grasped the reigns of that #2C position in JT's absence.

I'll be honest, my initial hope was to see Spezza in that role as I do believe he has some offence to give if he can get away from Jumbo... But Kerfoot has really been the ideal centre for how William Nylander is playing.

He's always been a good / useful player, but seemingly miscast in every role he's been put in over the last 2 years. Seems to be our new Bozak -- a decent 2nd line centre, but will always rely on his wingers to create the chances. Put him in a top 6 role with skill and he'll complement them. Put him in a bottom 6 role, and you really don't get much.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Out of curiosity, what are some examples (in the past few offseasons) of UFA 3Cs, who are as good as Kerfoot, who switched teams, and signed for $3.5 mil or less? If Seattle take him, is it reasonable to expect we could replace him through free agency? I’m thinking maybe a “Spezza/Thornton declining star” type, like Getzlaf, or a guy with limited offence but other qualities, like Cizikas? Or maybe Engvall can fill the role?

Kerfoot is a pretty good player, and he’s been great for us both this postseason, and last postseason. Plays with a lot of energy and heart. I was thinking Seattle would take Dermott, not Kerfoot, but ... now I’m not so sure. If they do take Kerfoot, I’m not sure he’d be easy to replace.

Last edited:
Reactions: banks

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Out of curiosity, what are some examples (in the past few offseasons) of UFA 3Cs, who are as good as Kerfoot, who switched teams, and signed for $3.5 mil or less? If Seattle take him, is it reasonable to expect we could replace him through free agency? I’m thinking maybe a “Spezza/Thornton declining star” type, like Getzlaf, or a guy with limited offence but other qualities, like Cizikas? Or maybe Engvall can fill the role?

Kerfoot is a pretty good player, and he’s been great for us both this postseason, and last postseason. Plays with a lot of energy and heart. I was thinking Seattle would take Dermott, not Kerfoot, but ... now I’m not so sure. If they do take Kerfoot, I’m not sure he’d be easy to replace.

The flat cap is what will make Kerfoot somewhat replaceable this offseason. Typically he's a ~$4-4.5m player, but it's the mid-tier guys who really took the brunt of the reduced cap.

That being said, one of the challenges that Kerfoot has is that he's not a very good 3rd line centre. He's got very little in the way of creativity, and while he is fine defensively, he's very weak on faceoffs and non-physical. The lack of faceoffs and physicality prevents him from being a true shutdown centre, and he's not really going to generate much from the 3rd line unless he's playing with a substantially more skilled player (like he is right now with Nylander).

He's a mediocre 2nd line centre, but has to be in somewhat of an unconventional l 3rd line centre role to get $3.5m worth of value out of.

Reactions: Menzinger

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Kerfoot is our best player this series folks .. keep it real .. give da man his due .. he is making it rain for us every game

Reactions: banks

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Yeah I must say the expansion draft picture is tougher to navigate if he keeps this up.

Love those players that step it up in the playoffs. He was strong last year too.

I've long suspected he may get taken.

Lack of centres for the kraken will make him a potential target

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
You know shits dire when Kerfoot is one of our best players.

It's crazy. If you had told me Nylander, Kerfoot, and Spezza would have this much of an impact, I would have replied Leafs in 4 or 5 banking on normal production level from Marner, Matthews, and Hyman.

Reactions: Korg

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Getting shafted on the 3rd line after how hes played this series is mind bogling.
You would think Foligno would be a better fit centering Simmonds/Mik/Engvall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad