Prospect Info: Alexander Gordin

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Gordin in the line-up for SKA-Neva today. They're playing at 8:30AM ET (Game about to begin as I post this).

He's listed ad 3RW

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I went on the VHL website and Gordin isn't listed on the team, but on the MHL website they don't have any players listed yet. His MHL team plays on Monday, his VHL team starts their season on the 9th so we'll see which one he ends up on. He's tougher to say as he split his time evenly between the 6 preseason games, 3 in the VHL and 3 in the MHL. I listened to the habs eyeontheprise podcast where their Euro reporters were saying that they were told that SKA is high on Gordin but he's not under contract past this season so you have to wonder what impact that has on his situation in regards to playing time and location. Last year he was all over the place, mostly with the MHL but saw time in all 3 levels and several times was called up to the VHL but didn't play. I got to think if he plans on leaving for North America at the end of the season, that's going to hurt his chances of getting quality time but if he will re-sign then perhaps he gets more time at the VHL level then the 9 games he played there last season

Reactions: Gyfu

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
yes, if you click on the link it says first of the season (MHL).

Just watched it in the HF player.

I feel like I'm at the point with him that the MHL production is meaningless and I wanna see him up a level.

He can finish but the rest of the game needs to get pushed to another level.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Him still being stuck at the MHL level kills whatever pro upside potential he might have had left .

well it's only the 1st game of the season and we saw him moved around a lot last year so I would expect more of the same this year, plus you got to think the fact that he at least so far hasn't re-signed in Russia makes them care less and less about his development.

Reactions: Gyfu

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Nice backhand, even if he stuck in the MHL as an overage (do they call 20 overage their?)

Well most posters are complaining we rush prospects...lets see what happens if we overcook one.

We are all fine with him staying in Russia, it's just that he's too good for the MHL so he isn't being stressed to pick up parts of his game he needs to be a viable NHL prospect.

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
We are all fine with him staying in Russia, it's just that he's too good for the MHL so he isn't being stressed to pick up parts of his game he needs to be a viable NHL prospect.
if he's too good for the MHL I want to see him dominate, because that would mean he is overcooked. This should motivate him, make him push the pedal to the floor so he gets a spot in the KHL

No?

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
if he's too good for the MHL I want to see him dominate, because that would mean he is overcooked. This should motivate him, make him push the pedal to the floor so he gets a spot in the KHL

No?

He would be best served playing in the VHL. In the KHL he'd probably play 4 minutes a game because he's NHL drafted.

Last edited:
Reactions: 19VJ17

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
He would be best served playing in the VHL. In the KHL he'd probably play 4 minutes a game because he's NHL drafted.
True, I forgot they had the equivalent to the AHL. My point still stands that he should kill it in the MHL, more so since their screwing him because he's NHL drafted.

it's a Pity Russia stoops down that low and punishes NHL draft picks

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
True, I forgot they had the equivalent to the AHL. My point still stands that he should kill it in the MHL, more so since their screwing him because he's NHL drafted.

it's a Pity Russia stoops down that low and punishes NHL draft picks
That's just paranoia at this point. Hes probably just not hood enough to deserve a promotion

Reactions: Fenris and 19VJ17

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
You're most likely right. I was just repeating what some have said and really didn't think about. But now that you got me thinking the Russians didn't seem to screw around with Romanov and he was a NHL pick.
I know he didn't get many minutes in the KHL but that is how they do it in Russian. It's not a bad way to bring along young players, especially dman.

Well if Gordin is good enough, he should crush it as an overage this year in the MHL

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
You're most likely right. I was just repeating what some have said and really didn't think about. But now that you got me thinking the Russians didn't seem to screw around with Romanov and he was a NHL pick.
I know he didn't get many minutes in the KHL but that is how they do it in Russian. It's not a bad way to bring along young players, especially dman.

Well if Gordin is good enough, he should crush it as an overage this year in the MHL
KHL tend to rely on vets a whole lot more than rookies or young players cuz they tend to be better and more reliable.

In the NHL they are more willing to let the young players play cuz they are the future of the team. In russia they arent expected to stay long. All those with bright futures go off to N. America. So why would they play a player like Romanov over one of their 4 players when all they care about is the performance in the present.

Same goes with Gordin and all other players / prospects. You're only gonna play a lot if ur presently better than the options they currently have. They don't win much if anything at all if ur good player in the NHL.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
KHL tend to rely on vets a whole lot more than rookies or young players cuz they tend to be better and more reliable.

In the NHL they are more willing to let the young players play cuz they are the future of the team. In russia they arent expected to stay long. All those with bright futures go off to N. America. So why would they play a player like Romanov over one of their 4 players when all they care about is the performance in the present.

Same goes with Gordin and all other players / prospects. You're only gonna play a lot if ur presently better than the options they currently have. They don't win much if anything at all if ur good player in the NHL.

So you say my point is paranoia and then reiterate it in your own post? :laugh:

Reactions: Nick Slafkofield

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
So you say my point is paranoia and then reiterate it in your own post? :laugh:
Sure dude that's definitely paranoia and not a legit reason. If it not good enough, ur not good enough. They gonna play the best

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Sure dude that's definitely paranoia and not a legit reason. If it not good enough, ur not good enough. They gonna play the best

You're hard to follow. Are they limiting ice-time because development is not important for players that are going to leave for NA so they play the more experienced players or not?

A superstar (like say Tarasenko) is going to play big minutes anyway because he's their best option. But for lesser guys that would benefit from increased time they don't bother doing that if they know they're leaving in a few years.

This is a contrast with other Euro leagues because the KHL has no PTA so gets nothing for the players that leave.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
You're hard to follow. Are they limiting ice-time because development is not important for players that are going to leave for NA so they play the more experienced players or not?

A superstar (like say Tarasenko) is going to play big minutes anyway because he's their best option. But for lesser guys that would benefit from increased time they don't bother doing that if they know they're leaving in a few years.

This is a contrast with other Euro leagues because the KHL has no PTA so gets nothing for the players that leave.
They just play the best players regardless of age or contract issues

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

No?

i'm not a big fan of his, kind of reminds me a bit of McShane, can shoot the puck but doesn't seem to move his feet enough, skating is an issue and does not seem like a hard worker on the ice. His production took a drop last year which is a red flag.

That's just paranoia at this point. Hes probably just not hood enough to deserve a promotion

in this case I think it is likely so that he's not good enough for the VHL at least to get consistent TOI. He did split half his preseason games between the VHL and MHL with 3 in each. The guys from Habs eye said that they heard his Russian club is high on him, but I've never been too impressed outside of his shot.

They just play the best players regardless of age or contract issues

not always as Romanov was certainly better then some of the other D that at times played more then him.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
i'm not a big fan of his, kind of reminds me a bit of McShane, can shoot the puck but doesn't seem to move his feet enough, skating is an issue and does not seem like a hard worker on the ice. His production took a drop last year which is a red flag.

in this case I think it is likely so that he's not good enough for the VHL at least to get consistent TOI. He did split half his preseason games between the VHL and MHL with 3 in each. The guys from Habs eye said that they heard his Russian club is high on him, but I've never been too impressed outside of his shot.

not always as Romanov was certainly better then some of the other D that at times played more then him.
It could be but u also have to take into account the reliability coaches seem to love from vets even when they are clearly inferior to the young players. It happens all the time even in the nhl. We even saw this with mtl these playoffs with romanov

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad