Rumor: Alexander Edler: 3, maybe 4-year deal imminent, AAV $5.0 - $5.5M, no Expansion Draft protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobby Digital

Jun 15, 2006
Edler has played in over 70 games one time since 2010. He's 33. Signing him to a longterm deal will be a killer.

Benning should be positiong himself to make it look like the Canucks are moving on after this season and hope Edler will be willing to waive at the TDL. We're still so far away from being a cup contender, we need future assets and Edler is one of the only few players remaining who could bring us back anything of significance.

This would take a little bit of thought and gamesmanship on Bennings part which makes it highly unlikely it'll happen.

Reactions: BROCK HUGHES

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
You want the canucks to screw up with edler?

You make your bed ... you sleep in it. If I was Edler's camp I wouldn't take anything less than a 4-year, $24M contract. He'll get that in FA easily. Probably more. I'd push for a higher dollar value over 4 years, actually. Closer to $6.5M AAV.

Reactions: The Drop

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Anything more than 2 years would be silly in my books, better not be with a ntc too. Jb hand those out like candy

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Anything more than 2 years would be silly in my books, better not be with a ntc too. Jb hand those out like candy

It's obviously going to be longer than 2 years and it's obviously going to contain a full NMC. So throw that right out the window.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Note how IMac didn't say the term would be "short". Instead he drags out the word "gentle"; a word that has never been used in this context before. It's 3 or more folks.

Reactions: DarrenX

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri

Should be. Absolutely.

But I fully expect that is exactly what he will get. I'm at the point that I will consider a 4x7 mil contract without a NMC a Benning win. Still a fantastically horrible contract but a Benning win.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
You make your bed ... you sleep in it. If I was Edler's camp I wouldn't take anything less than a 4-year, $24M contract. He'll get that in FA easily. Probably more. I'd push for a higher dollar value over 4 years, actually. Closer to $6.5M AAV.
Only 8 Dmen are currently older than Keith who turns 35 this year. Chara, Hamhuis, JBo, seidenberg, etc. 4 years would be stupid.

I’d come in with a higher cap number on 2 year deal. If his target is say $15 million over 3 years I’d come in at $12.5 for 2 years. Make him decide if leaving vancouvernis worth $2.5 million.

This management group needs to take stock that Boeser and Pettersson are likely to count $20 million combined when EP starts contract 2. They are still on the hook for $9 million on Eriksson and Beagle at that point.

Canucks haven’t been killed by the bad contracts of benning yet because they had the cap space. But, that run way is shrinking if they ever want to be legit when Pettersson starts his 2nd contract.

Last edited:

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
As previously stated, I think a moderate term, (2 0r 3 years) a NMC and a serious home town discount is in the works. Or I hope so.

He has been the Canucks best D man for 10 years. But he gets injured. And he wants to stay in VCR, and they could use his steady play as good mentor to the kids coming up. If Tryamkin comes back, along with Juolevi and Hughes, we are looking very good on D.

Trade Guddy, Pooh a lot, and Tanev. Stecher and Hutton are doing fine. Edler Hughes. Juolevi Hutton. Tryamkin Stecher. Could be as good a D as there is.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Only 8 Dmen are currently older than Keith who turns 35 this year. Chara, Hamhuis, JBo, seidenberg, etc. 4 years would be stupid.

I’d come in with a higher cap number on 2 year deal. If his target is say $15 million over 3 years I’d come in at $12.5 for 2 years. Make him decide if leaving vancouvernis worth $2.5 million.

Hell, give him 15 million over 2 years. Anything over 2 years and a NMC would be difficult to swallow and we can take the high cap hits for two years.

Reactions: MS

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

This management group needs to take stock that Boeser and Pettersson are likely to count $20 million combined when EP starts contract 2. They are still on the hook for $9 million on Eriksson and Beagle at that point.

Canucks haven’t been killed by the bad contracts of benning yet because they had the cap space. But, that run way is shrinking if they ever want to be legit when Pettersson starts his 2nd contract.

I just don't see why Edler's camp would bother with that contract. He's going to get paid in free agency to the tune of ~4 years and at least $24M total contract value. The guy likes Vancouver, but he'd be nuts to throw away his retirement contract. The only way he should take a shorter term deal is for similar money. So probably ~3 years at ~$20M total would be the floor. Then he's only leaving $4-$5M in total contract value on the table. You have to remember it's basically his retirement contract. He will not have this earning potential again in his career.

His negotiating team should be looking at total potential earnings over the next 4-5 years. Then they should maximize it.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
there must be no NMC if they go three plus. this team cannot afford to be putting what little they have in the way of young defensemen at risk for alex edler to be comfortable.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Yea I'd like to see the terms of the extension first before determining that he should have been traded. Fully expecting to be disappointed, but willing to wait and see.

He'll be 33 in a couple months, and there were teams interested in him at this deadline. I don't need to see the terms of a new contract to determine that he should have been traded. It's already a mistake. How big of a mistake will be determined by the contract, but it's a mistake nonetheless.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
The fact that people are worried about the fact that they might have to protect him in the Seattle ED, but they still want to sign him, is such a stunning display of cognitive dissonance that it just really underscores how stupid and frustrating this whole situation has gotten to after Benning has made such a mess of the blueline in his 5 years that signing Edler is even an option.

Reactions: ATypicalCanadian

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
If I was Benning I would throw out there
3 years at 5.5 million and then offer a 3 year at 6 million offer if he agrees to a trade and come back in the off season
A nifty little 1.5 million to go play hockey for another team for 3 months

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
The fact that people are worried about the fact that they might have to protect him in the Seattle ED, but they still want to sign him, is such a stunning display of cognitive dissonance that it just really underscores how stupid and frustrating this whole situation has gotten to after Benning has made such a mess of the blueline in his 5 years that signing Edler is even an option.

Why is this a "stunning display of cognitive dissonance?" Very few players get NMC for the entire term and that's the way it should be, especially for an aging player that might retire after the contract is over. These contractual rights are important and should affect the negotiations so I don't see how wanting to re-sign Edler is incompatible with being worried about Edler getting an NMC that forces the Canucks to protect him in the expansion draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad