Rumor: Alexander Edler: 3, maybe 4-year deal imminent, AAV $5.0 - $5.5M, no Expansion Draft protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Loui was, is, ALWAYS be ass with the Canucks. At least with Edler, you’ll know we’ll get at least a couple good years out of him,
Yup.

Alex bleeds Canuck colors and I trust him to do everything in his power to enable the success of our next generation hockey stars for the team that drafted him.

Reactions: illusory

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
Satiar Shah is saying on twitter he is hearing 3 years - $15 million

the only thing holding it up is Edler wanting a NMC which the Canucks have no interest as they would have to protect him from Seattle in 2021

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
give him 2 years or just trade him. hes bound to miss at least 40 games or so. watching the intermisson and the guys on the panel discussing that already. any gm wanting edler via trade/free agency must be careful.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Loui was an free agent,came off a 30 goals season

Completely different situation

Edler is also a Dman with #1 minutes on his resume. He's 32 and if he hits the open market he'd absolutely get paid by some desperate team.

People thinking he's going to sign a 2 year deal are kidding themselves. At 32 he's easily going to want 4+ years.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Satiar Shah is saying on twitter he is hearing 3 years - $15 million

the only thing holding it up is Edler wanting a NMC which the Canucks have no interest as they would have to protect him from Seattle in 2021

So another bad contract. Figures.

Benning bungles yet another thing.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Edler is also a Dman with #1 minutes on his resume. He's 32 and if he hits the open market he'd absolutely get paid by some desperate team.

People thinking he's going to sign a 2 year deal are kidding themselves. At 32 he's easily going to want 4+ years.

Then they should have been trying to trade him.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Then they should have been trying to trade him.

No argument here. Just pointing out that people expecting a 2yr deal from a 32yr old Dman with Edler's body of work is wishful thinking. At 4 years I'd say we get off lucky. I fully expect a 5 or 6 year deal incoming. Gross.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation

Unfortunately the biggest patsy GM for that line is right here.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Not like we are a way better team with edler, trade him or let him go. I don’t think he’s as difficult to replace as most here think.
It’s all downhill from here for edler, as much as I appreciate what he does his time here is up.

Reactions: Cupless44

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
So another bad contract. Figures.

Benning bungles yet another thing.

Eh, I'd rather go 2 years, but that's not a bad contract. He's worth probably 6 right now on the current market, and shouldn't fall off too much by 35. Could look at it as 6 for year 1, 5 for year 2, 4 for year 3. It's after 35 for dmen you worry about more. If it's a third I think there needs to be a modified NTC where he gives a team list so he can at least be moved if need be.

Last edited:
Reactions: illusory

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
Eh, I'd rather go 2 years, but that's not a bad contract. He's worth probably 6 right now on the current market, and shouldn't fall off too much by 35. Could look at it as 6 for year 1, 5 for year 2, 4 for year 3. It's after 35 for dmen you worry about more. If it's a third I think there needs to be a modified NTC where he gives a team list so he can at least be moved if need be.
I get the feeling that when edler regresses , it’s gonna be cataclysmic

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Not like we are a way better team with edler, trade him or let him go. I don’t think he’s as difficult to replace as most here think.
It’s all downhill from here for edler, as much as I appreciate what he does his time here is up.

Obviously there's other factors, but the team is 20-14-4, with a +7 goal differential with him, and 6-13-4, with a -26 goal differential without him.

Last edited:

sting101

Feb 8, 2012

Yup unfortunately they just signed Beagle to a 4yr this past summer.

Edlers gonna get 4yrs if he wants it. As long as they front end load it and give a NMC for 2 and a NTC that allows him to be available to Seattle and others after then i guess i can live with it.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Obviously there's other factors, but the team is 20-14-4, with a +7 goal differential with him, and 6-13-4, with a -25 goal differential without him.
I get that but he’s in his 30s and I’m not comfortable giving a older player terms. If we didn’t sign eriksson sutter and guddy(that’s 14m worth of steaming pouliot omg), I would probably take the gamble and sign edler because it still leaves us enough cap for Quinn pettersson boeser and future Ufa signings. But as of right now, I feel like it’s better to part ways.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

With his injuries, and considering he wasn't very good a couple years ago, I think people are buying way too high on him. He's 33 in a couple months. Would not go 3 years on him.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
With his injuries, and considering he wasn't very good a couple years ago, I think people are buying way too high on him. He's 33 in a couple months. Would not go 3 years on him.

I really wouldn't want to do 3 years but I don't think it would be bad. He's played better than usual this year but I disagree he was bad a couple years ago. He's been consistently solid since the Torts debacle year.

Reactions: Nomobo

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Heck even do 2yrs @ $6-7M per!!! 3yrs is pushing it for me. I’d only do that if there’s no no trade clause (or limited for last year).

Last edited:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
The fact is that UFA signings are almost always either too long, for too much money, or both. Since players can decline rapidly in their early 30s, unless you're signing that rare 27 year old UFA you'll risk having the contract being too long. In the past, that has been the price of admission. If the player plays up to expectations throughout his contract until his final year that's a usually considered a pretty good signing. I'm not saying that that's the way it should be, but that has been the way in the past. Drew Doughty will be 36 when he enters the final year of his contract. With Edler, if he signs a 3 year contract you're hoping that he maintains his level of play for 2 years and doesn't suffer a massive decline in year 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad