Rumor: Alexander Edler: 3, maybe 4-year deal imminent, AAV $5.0 - $5.5M, no Expansion Draft protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
The age 35+ contract rule is in place and it should deter anyone from giving him 4 years.

3 years is the sweetspot for Edler and the Canucks.

Doesn’t the 35+ rule only affect contracts signed by players who are 35+ when the contract begins? The 35+ rule basically means this will be Edler’s last big contract and if anything him and his agent are probably seeking 5 years.

Reactions: Peter10

member 290103

I'd honestly applaud Jim if he let this player go. I'd go to him and say "look, we will pay you a high AAV for two years, but you are not getting any trade protection to prevent us from protecting another player in the expansion draft if we choose to. If you are not amendable to that, then we understand and wish you the best of luck."

The last thing they can do here is give him a third year or worse, be forced to protect him at the expense of a guy like Stecher or Hutton. Dim is already welcoming Hughes with open arms and letting him burn an expansion spot, so he can't f*** the Edler deal up.

Reactions: MarkMM

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
If he won't waive it's time to move on this summer. This team won't be any good with or without Edler over the next two or three years. I said last summer that this team is at least 3 years from making the playoffs and I stand by that.

Canucks shouldn't offer more than 2 years considering his injury history and age. Don't begrudge Alex for asking for a retirement contract but Benning needs to play hard ball here and show a back bone for once.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Doesn’t the 35+ rule only affect contracts signed by players who are 35+ when the contract begins? The 35+ rule basically means this will be Edler’s last big contract and if anything him and his agent are probably seeking 5 years.

Don't think so. It should apply to any contract signed before or after a player turns 35. It was in response to all of the front-loaded contracts (ie: Luongo's)

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
I say frack Edler if he wants to be protected for the expansion draft. Obviously he is not looking out for the Canucks best interests. He's not interested in playing to win. He is good but not that good. Replace him with a ufa .. we have more strength on the left side compared to what he delivers.

I too hope Jim tells this half good guy where the cookie crumbles.

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'd honestly applaud Jim if he let this player go. I'd go to him and say "look, we will pay you a high AAV for two years, but you are not getting any trade protection to prevent us from protecting another player in the expansion draft if we choose to. If you are not amendable to that, then we understand and wish you the best of luck."

The last thing they can do here is give him a third year or worse, be forced to protect him at the expense of a guy like Stecher or Hutton. Dim is already welcoming Hughes with open arms and letting him burn an expansion spot, so he can't **** the Edler deal up.
I fully get both sides. As much as people want Edler to waive that’s entirely up to him. If the condition of him waiving is that the new team offer a contract then that severely limits the teams interested. Especially if that 3rd year being protected is the determining factor.

He can go to market and see if a team without any playoff appearances lately like a Buffalo or someone else is prepared to give him that 3rd year. He’s not a I need a cup type of guy. He knows his injury history and wants to ensure he’s covered for that 3rd year plus he doesn’t want to uproot his family again afterwards. This would be his final hockey move. He has no requirement to only be with a contending team so the market is completely open for him.

Canucks may not have great players to protect on d right now for the ED but there are still 2 years to change that. No sense locking yourself in with a 35 year old at the time of the ED.

I think the Edler camp may be overplaying his hand in terms of that year 3 protection. But hey, maybe a team does do it.

Ninjadude

Oct 25, 2018
I really hope the Nucks resign him WITHOUT a NMC, then flip him next year at the TDL, or sooner!

Hal 9000

Nov 19, 2016
I have wanted Edler moved for quite some time, but if he refused to be traded today and then doesn't resign, then that would be a humungous dick move on his part.

Reactions: Chris McKinlay

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I have wanted Edler moved for quite some time, but if he refused to be traded today and then doesn't resign, then that would be a humungous dick move on his part.
It was his right. That’s the contract he signed.

Look how badly getting traded worked out for Hansen. 1.25 years after the deal he can’t land an nhl job and goes to the K.

Maybe that’s why Edler is so intent on getting a new deal upon waiving. Get that security. But realistically no team was going to give him that 3rd year protected for the ED at the tdl.

Look at what the rangers could get for Nash and mcdonagh who both had to give 12 team lists. Hayes was still rfa while Zuccarello had no protection. Draft picks and prospects.

Hal 9000

Nov 19, 2016
It was his right. That’s the contract he signed.

Look how badly getting traded worked out for Hansen. 1.25 years after the deal he can’t land an nhl job and goes to the K.

Maybe that’s why Edler is so intent on getting a new deal upon waiving. Get that security. But realistically no team was going to give him that 3rd year protected for the ED at the tdl.

Look at what the rangers could get for Nash and mcdonagh who both had to give 12 team lists. Hayes was still rfa while Zuccarello had no protection. Draft picks and prospects.
Regardless, it would still be a dick move. If you wanna stay, then sign, if you wanna go....go.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Would the people suggesting you want to pay him higher AAV over 2 years be willing to pay him $7.5m/yr for 2 years? Because everyone who keeps typing $6m x 2 like that is already an overpay does not have a grasp on league wide salaries and values.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Edler has them so far over the barrel it's not even funny. He's just bought himself another few months to get his affairs in order and move on his own terms in FA.

Dude is gone outside of a market term deal. Like 5+ years and $6M+ AAV or whatever he's going to get on the open bid.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Regardless, it would still be a dick move. If you wanna stay, then sign, if you wanna go....go.
If you want to call it that, you can.
I see it as business. Contract is the contract when push comes to shove.

He’s still banking that the Canucks will cave come July 1. Hopefully they won’t. Let him test the waters to either find another team that will give him what he wants or get a reality check that a 35 year old won’t get protection for an ED.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
If you want to call it that, you can.
I see it as business. Contract is the contract when push comes to shove.

He’s still banking that the Canucks will cave come July 1. Hopefully they won’t. Let him test the waters to either find another team that will give him what he wants or get a reality check that a 35 year old won’t get protection for an ED.
Even with Chiapet fired, I have ALWAYS maintained there are NHL GMs dumber than Benning out there. He'll get such an offer. As much as our blueline is a freaking mess (courtesy of Elmer), I don't want a 'retirement type' contract with Edler with the NTC/NMC.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Even with Chiapet fired, I have ALWAYS maintained there are NHL GMs dumber than Benning out there. He'll get such an offer. As much as our blueline is a freaking mess (courtesy of Elmer), I don't want a 'retirement type' contract with Edler with the NTC/NMC.
Then let another team eat up a spot. See what the market bears for him. It’s a small ufa Dman class outside of Karlsson. Maybe a team goes desperate.

Reactions: Hit the post

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Edler has them so far over the barrel it's not even funny. He's just bought himself another few months to get his affairs in order and move on his own terms in FA.

Dude is gone outside of a market term deal. Like 5+ years and $6M+ AAV or whatever he's going to get on the open bid.
Then let it be other teans’ problem
Shea Weber has been amazing this season, without him, the Habs is a bottom 5 team.

But do you want him ???

Reactions: Hit the post

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
I doubt this injury is serious. Edler will conveniently out for 3 weeks to allow the trade deadline to come and go without any speculation to as why Dim Jim didn't try and seek a trade and then re-sign him July 1. Then he'll be re-signed soon after. Easiest route for a player who doesn't like change and loves the comforts of the country club culture of Vancouver and an owner/GM who is scared of actually rebuilding. Could of seen this coming a mile away.

Are you even able to get what you just wrote?
So Edler landing face first on the ice was his plan or his and JBs plan to keep him here and avoid a trade wow maybe the least thought out or respectful post I've ever read.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

If the Canucks dip out on big name UFAs then Edler and his agent will be laughing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad