Alexander "Don't call it a comeback, I've been here for years" Ovechkin has 8 goals in his last 5 and has the Caps in the playoffs.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
I’d like to see the stats bearing out that the line you’re talking about is specifically Ovechkin, Strome, and Wilson because the Caps spent a lot of the first half of the year running Kuznetsov on line one (I guess to either snap him out of his shit or give him enough rope to fully hang himself) and if any of that is getting contorted here it’d be a shame.
Yes, since the article is from earlier in the season, those numbers would have not had Strome included in the majority of it. Kuznetsov, Ovechkin, and Wilson. Point still stands that a large portion of Ovechkins plus minus is because of how awful that line was for over half of the year.

So I was certainly off base putting any blame on Strome because he isn't a culprit in it. Strome has quietly been the Capitals best forward and I don't think its that close either.

Reactions: wetcoast

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
The fountain of youth for Ovechkin has been the young coach, and young teammates.

First round picks from 18,19,20, and 22 all contributing nightly, at both ends of the ice. Ovechkin never much worried about the other end of the ice, and now, he doesn’t really have to.

Good mix in Washington.

Last edited:

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Yes, since the article is from earlier in the season, those numbers would have not had Strome included in the majority of it. Kuznetsov, Ovechkin, and Wilson. Point still stands that a large portion of Ovechkins plus minus is because of how awful that line was for over half of the year.

So I was certainly off base putting any blame on Strome because he isn't a culprit in it. Strome has quietly been the Capitals best forward and I don't think its that close either.
only now the context is pretty wildly different and heavily includes a guy they waived for not just being their worst player, but one of the worst in the whole league.

Plus minus can be very subjective indeed...

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
only now the context is pretty wildly different and heavily includes a guy they waived for not just being their worst player, but one of the worst in the whole league.

Plus minus can be very subjective indeed...
Not really sure how much to attribute one player on a 3 person line being substituted. That's for someone else to figure out.

Ovechkin needs a playmaking C to carry is play is what sounds like the correlation here. Strome has done a terrific job at that.

43sfriends

Dec 2, 2018
Not really sure how much to attribute one player on a 3 person line being substituted. That's for someone else to figure out.

Ovechkin needs a playmaking C to carry is play is what sounds like the correlation here. Strome has done a terrific job at that.
I guess that would sound like the correlation to you, but objectively the correlation is that he needs a center who is at least a replacement level player.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I guess that would sound like the correlation to you, but objectively the correlation is that he needs a center who is at least a replacement level player.
GHsAW84XsAAZrJT.jpg:large

Stupid 38 year old can't carry trash like this anymore, must deserve his minuses for being a lazy backchecker or whatever.

I can't find them easily but saw them posted in a GDT the other day, Ovechkin's production after Kuznetsov entered the player assistance program is basically night and day

You saying both of these things back to back is so goofy when you just gave Strome, like... all the credit.

But here, consider this my parting gift before I stop doing the research you should have done, so you can walk yourself out of insisting on this flawed premise:
1711560338887.png

I didn't get the key at the top because I couldn't cut around other lines easily but here's every Ovechkin line with more than 35 minutes this season in total. Isn't it a little weird how things like xGA/60 (last column) just skyrocket while things like Goal Share% or xGF/60 (second to last column) plummet by including one specific guy?

No doubt Strome and Ovechkin work well together but if you can't tell by now that your conclusion is heavily influenced by one player I don't know what else needs said.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018

Stupid 38 year old can't carry trash like this anymore, must deserve his minuses for being a lazy backchecker or whatever.

I can't find them easily but saw them posted in a GDT the other day, Ovechkin's production after Kuznetsov entered the player assistance program is basically night and day

You saying both of these things back to back is so goofy when you just gave Strome, like... all the credit.

But here, consider this my parting gift before I stop doing the research you should have done, so you can walk yourself out of insisting on this flawed premise:
View attachment 842303

I didn't get the key at the top because I couldn't cut around other lines easily but here's every Ovechkin line with more than 35 minutes this season in total. Isn't it a little weird how things like xGA/60 (last column) just skyrocket while things like Goal Share% or xGF/60 (second to last column) plummet by including one specific guy?

No doubt Strome and Ovechkin work well together but if you can't tell by now that your conclusion is heavily influenced by one player I don't know what else needs said.
Ovechkin is negative across the board in 3 of those 4 lines….

I will see myself out though.

pi314

Jun 10, 2017
Windsor, ON

View attachment 842303

Where do you generate these war charts from?

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Ovechkin is negative across the board in 3 of those 4 lines….

I will see myself out though.
Even if you wanted to call him negative on average across the team the very obvious point was that there's one line with one teammate that is hands down doubly bad. Is this about goal share because he skews under 50? Okay, sure, I guess so but it's still not a vacuum statement. This is, of course, a team in playoff position despite a terrible goal differential so maybe coming up slightly less in goal share isn't the end all but being caved in can shape a season....

The fact that this is what you've focused on only clarifies that you're not interested in being serious, you're only interested in backhandedly calling out or otherwise undermining a player you don't like. "Oh who am I to say what Kuznetsov specifically did to the line this year, it's just one player, who knows?" followed almost immediately by "well obviously he needs Strome to do anything" and "look how bad Ovechkin is across the board!"

Remember: this isn't some crusade to prove that Ovechkin is as good now as ever or a defensive dynamo, just that he didn't in fact earn all of his minuses by being paired with a f***wit who refused to try, and has proven to be a lot better with players who actually want to play the game. I think we're done here. You're drawing backwards from the conclusion, and one that started with the wrong center.

Where do you generate these war charts from?
Those are just taken from some various twitter people, I know there's a proper source for them but I don't subscribe to whoever it is and can't remember who does what.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Now we know ovechkin really isn't human. That's a heartburn waiting to happen among mere mortals.

ACLEVERNAME

No content.
Jan 6, 2010
Oof...
View attachment 842473

Now we know how he's been fuelling this incredible run; Subway & Cheetos.

This dude must be having scientists and nutritionists scratching their heads. One of the most durable athletes of all-time and one of the most elite at his sport and he fuels himself with Cheetos pre game and drinks Dr. Pepper on the bench.
That's usually (would be) my face and demeanor after eating Subway™ and Frito Lays™ products LMAO. I normally enjoy a cool avocado and sparkling spring water as my pre-game 'prep'. True testament to the natural athletic phenotype when someone can introduce complete shit into their bodily environment and still flourish physically and mentally.

Swear to g*d, I eat a spear of asparagus and gain a pound.:shakehead

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
I have to have a stupid supper with the stupid in laws during the game (who aren’t hockey fans).

Will be having frequent bathroom breaks and blaming it on the mother in laws food so I can watch the game in peace on my phone
Ah you poor bastard, still at that stage of life where you still have to pretend to give a #^$%
Swear to g*d, I eat a spear of asparagus and gain a pound.:shakehead
Please come to my totally not-evil laboratory for a ... checkup

Reactions: Hippasus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad