Alexander "Don't call it a comeback, I've been here for years" Ovechkin has 8 goals in his last 5 and has the Caps in the playoffs.

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
Ovi looked totally washed to start the year, wasn't even a sure bet to hit 20 goals at one point.

The Capitals looked equally washed, I mean, they had NOBODY on offence, a no name goalie, weak D core. Backstrom basically retired. Things looked grim.

After being written off for the 96th time in his illustrious career, Ovi is absolutely on fire at exactly the right time. 5 game goal streak with 8 total goals. It makes zero sense at all but somehow the Washington Capitals are now sitting in a wildcard playoff position.

How many times in his career has this guy absolutely turned it on in the 2nd half of the season.

Shout out to the GOAT goal scorer still doing it.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
The infusion and improvement of the youth on the roster turned around the season. People are still under the impression that the Caps are old and slow, but it's basically just Ovi and the kids now.

CMM, Lapierre, Miro, Protas, Strome all took a huge step forward this season. Ovi recovered from whatever was ailing him in the 1st half and he's now consistently getting into positions to score.

I think Spencer Carbery is one of the most underrated coaches in the league, it's remarkable what he's been able to do in his first year as NHL head coach.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Capitals being in the playoff race and the Penguins being a train wreck was not on my bingo card at the start of the season

I thought they would both miss.

Difference being, the Penguins sacrificed the future and traded away 8 of their most recent 12 first round draft picks, while the Capitals have several that are panning out.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
I believe it's 18 goals in his last 24 games which would be a 62 goal pace over that sample.

He had zero puck luck over the first half of the season. He may still be a top tier scorer who simply had a rough half to the season.

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
I believe it's 18 goals in his last 24 games which would be a 62 goal pace over that sample.

He had zero puck luck over the first half of the season. He may still be a top tier scorer who simply had a rough half to the season.
Let's say he scores 5 more this season.

Leaves (I think) 44 more to go next season.

If he's scoring at that pace, puts the record back in the mix for next year. Earlier this year I think we all would have said he's done as a 40+ goal guy (when will we learn) but now I'm not sure about that.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
call this small sample size

also, gotta look what kind of goals he has scored

sure, he has played better of late, but facts remain the same;
age has caught upon the once great goal scorer

in his last game there were moments where he could barely stand up, let alone skate
because he was so exhausted, dude was gasping for air, sure that was in the 3rd
but still, he is old and doesn't have much left in him, i believe this is his final
season in the NHL, his farewell if you will

without 2 big streaks, he could have ended with under, or just above 10
goals this season

people are forgetting here that, for a better part of the season, he had a pace
for about 10 goals.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
He also had 4-6 goals removed earlier this season from offsides and other reasons.
You stepping up with this is like Twilight Zone weird for me.

in his last game there were moments where he could barely stand up, let alone skate
but still, he is old and doesn't have much left in him, i believe this is his final

goals this season

for about 10 goals.
But I'll take it out on this.

The f*** are you talking about, dude? Oh no, age caught up to the 38 year old? You don't f***ing say he no longer looks like an unstoppable machine. And yet... hell of a "small sample size" that is now a quarter of the NHL season. Surely there wasn't any injury or personal issues (Father, Backstrom, Kuznetsov all in a fairly short span on top of pretty obviously being hurt) or changing sticks and then correcting that shit... this is just the dying gasp of a washed loser.

Holy shit. What is it with Finnish fans and Ovechkin? Are you still nursing the Laine thing?

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ

goals this season

for about 10 goals.
Yeah man Just like MacKinnon without having a point in every home game would have average stats. That streak is artificially bumping his stats up, he shouldn’t be close to the hart trophy race.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad